"Dude Where's My Car?" - September 10, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

JAQT wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:16 pm
SReh26 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:09 pm
kamashdas wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:21 pm I've been ashore since Thursday, but just able to login today... Anyone else think Mike/Matt had a "Freaky Friday" experience? Recent puzzles have had an odd "out-of-character" feel to them. Maybe it's just me?
I was going to joke, “it’s a trick..” and then my mind went to IAWL again..

“It’s a lie! He’s been in jail for years for poisoning a kid. And if you ask me that’s where you belong!” What character in IAWL uttered those famous lines?
I'm guessing it's "bizarro world" Nick, the bartender (who apparently is the owner of Martini's in the alternate reality).
Martini couldn’t get a home loan in Pottersville, so I’m guessing he couldn’t get a commercial loan either. Not sure how Nick got one - either he saved his pennies or he had an in with Potter. 🤣
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Meg wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:24 pm
kamashdas wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:21 pm I've been ashore since Thursday, but just able to login today... Anyone else think Mike/Matt had a "Freaky Friday" experience? Recent puzzles have had an odd "out-of-character" feel to them. Maybe it's just me?

“It’s a lie! He’s been in jail for years for poisoning a kid. And if you ask me that’s where you belong!” What character in IAWL uttered those famous lines?
Mrs. Bailey, George's mother.
“Mother!!?? Who are you calling mother?”. Correct!! 🎊🎉🎈
DaveWa

Post by DaveWa »

I'm ashore. I didn't want to miss being part of the record crowd. Is there any Kölsch left for this late arriving beachgoer?
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

SReh26 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:38 pm

It was the bartender that said that Mr. Gower had been in jail for poisoning the kid. "If you know him, you must be a jailbird yourself." Mrs. Bailey said (of Uncle Billy), "It's a lie! He's been in the insane asylum since he lost his business (ever how many) years ago."
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Muggles and MMMM

This is the link for Pete Muller/Matt Gaffney's talk on Friday. The link will be posted in the calendar at the top of the forum page and with next week's WSJ contest. The talk will be recorded and available for viewing. You will be able to ask Pete questions during the talk by raising your hand electronically or posting the questions in the chat. If you have a question beforehand send me a PM with the question.

Topic: Muller Monthly Music Meta Talk

Time: Sep 17, 2021 08:30 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting

https://us06web.zoom.us/j/84784161407?p ... IzcjY1dz09

Meeting ID: 847 8416 1407

Passcode: 494130
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
boharr

Post by boharr »

wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:09 pm

Nick: You know, that's another reason for me not to like you. That rum-head spent twenty years in jail for poisoning a kid. If you know him, you must be a jailbird yourself.

Ma Bailey: That's a lie! He's been locked up in an insane asylum upstate every since he lost his business! And if you ask me, that's where you belong too!
boharr

Post by boharr »

SewYoung wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:28 pm

It was the bartender that said that Mr. Gower had been in jail for poisoning the kid. "If you know him, you must be a jailbird yourself." Mrs. Bailey said (of Uncle Billy), "It's a lie! He's been in the insane asylum since he lost his business (ever how many) years ago."
Ok, all together now.

Nick: You know, that's another reason for me not to like you. That rum-head spent twenty years in jail for poisoning a kid. If you know him, you must be a jailbird yourself.

Ma Bailey: That's a lie! He's been locked up in an insane asylum upstate every since he lost his business! And if you ask me, that's where you belong too!
pookie

Post by pookie »

For any future reference- :-) http://www.dailyscript.com/scripts/wonderfullife.html

GEORGE
(bewildered) Hey, what is... Hey, Nick, Nick...
Isn't that Mr. Gower, the druggist?
NICK
You know, that's another reason for me not to like you. That rum-head spent twenty years in jail for
poisoning a kid. If you know him, you must be a jailbird yourself.
(to his bouncers)
Would you show these gentlemen to the door.

GEORGE Mother...
MA BAILEY
Mother? What do you want?
(It is a cruel blow to George.)
GEORGE
Mother, this is George. I thought sure you'd remember me.
MA BAILEY (coldly)
George who? If you're looking for a room there's no vacancy.
She starts to close the door, but George stops her.
GEORGE
Oh, Mother, Mother, please help me. Something terrible's happened to me.
I don't know what it is. Something's happened to everybody. Please let me come in. Keep me here until I get
over it.
MA BAILEY
Get over what? I don't take in strangers unless they're sent here by somebody I know.
GEORGE (desperate)
Well, I know everybody you know.
Your brother-in-law, Uncle Billy.
MA BAILEY (suspiciously)
You know him?
GEORGE
Well, sure I do.
MA BAILEY
When'd you see him last?
GEORGE
Today, over at the house.
MA BAILEY
That's a lie. He's been in the insane asylum ever since he lost his business. And if you ask me, that's
where you belong.

She slams the door shut in George's face.
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

SewYoung wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:28 pm

omg! You’re right!! Kudos!! 🎉🌹❤️💐🌺🎊
SingleMalt

Post by SingleMalt »

Attachments
R.jpg
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

And.... as long as we're quoting; what TV character uttered the immortal words "You got to to breathe; you got time for music."?
Lyman

Post by Lyman »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:16 pm
Lyman wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:21 pm Also ashore (#98). And it may have been the first time that I didn't make a paper copy of the completed grid.
What is terrifying is that I remember seeing your posting.
Bob

Many thanks for all that you do. Perfection is not required! And sometimes those thought (and counted) to be ashore are actually on a sand bar, and missing both land and Isaac's bar.

I just wanted to add to what may be a record total.

Lyman
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

SewYoung wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:18 pm And.... as long as we're quoting; what TV character uttered the immortal words "You got to to breathe; you got time for music."?
Debbie Allen in Fame?
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

SewYoung wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:18 pm And.... as long as we're quoting; what TV character uttered the immortal words "You got to to breathe; you got time for music."?
LOL it reminds me of "If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball."
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

SingleMalt wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:17 pmImage
Yes- a bait and switch! Entice us with easy metas to build our confidence back up, and then slam em again with a Level 4! 😂
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Our final count is 264 muggles on shore. Based on past experience we will probably set records of over 4000 entries to the WSJ contest and close to 4000 correct submissions. Don't hold your breath for an email tomorrow telling you that you have won the mug but who knows, it might be you.

Stay safe and be ready for Thursday's meta. In between check out the Monday Muggle Meta (MMM) and the Madhatter's Enigma On Wednesday (MEOW)
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:34 pm ...Don't hold your breath for an email tomorrow telling you that you have won the mug but who knows, it might be you.
Yet after 78 of these meta-puzzles, with 67 correct answer submissions (86%), and no mug to show for it, I continue to hope...

What's that phrase about doing something over and over and over again but expecting a different result? Definition of insanity? Then count me as the King of Hearts! (And who remembers THAT movie???)
jmorgie7

Post by jmorgie7 »

Ashore ... just reporting to keep numbers straight ... not bragging, too easy
pookie

Post by pookie »

If I win the mug, I don't care if it's a Kas half or a Kas 5. It'll be for all those metas I got right, whether it was in one day or (like the recent puzzles) in FOUR days. :-)
It would just as sweet!
Limerick Savant

Post by Limerick Savant »

I’ve been ashore since Friday night when I finally got to sit down with my WSJ. I thought I should announce my arrival before the deadline only to find Muggles standing shoulder to shoulder on the beach. You would think it was Spring Break! Isaac must be very lonely at the bar tonight.

This one was so easy I didn’t think it even rated a verse but I did create a clue that says it all:

A playful musical instrument that comes in Kirby, Kiss, and Kabuki versions.

Answer after the reveal
Dedicated to no nonsense nonsense