"Interstate Travel" - September 3, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

Bob cruise director wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:02 am
Wendy Walker wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:54 am
The Cruise Director said this would amuse those of you who live in major metro areas, like @hcbirker!
And he invited Wendy to Boston. Not to drive but be a passenger as I did not want to have to take her to Mass General for a heart attack. Rules in Boston - have an old car, don't flinch, don't make eye contact - and you better know where you are going or you will be Charlie on the MTA
My Kingston Trio! You'd never guess where those guys were from. Oh, and the last Bluegrass Festival we attended - the only "good" group asked the audience if they were familiar with the Stanley Brothers or Flatt and Scruggs. We were the only ones present who raised our hands. :-( Oh, and once rented an RV in Rome, drove to Switzerland via Lake Como where I had a tennis friend. Long story, but ended up confidently driving through downtown Rome in my "tank".
Gman

Post by Gman »

DannyWalter wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:31 pm So I guess no one ran aground on Newfoundland, a 12-letter word and a place that was ravaged by a pirate named Easton? I knew this was a dead end, but who can resist following a potential pirate clue? From there, of course, it's a short leap to "Arr! can saw".
Q: What's a pirate's favorite letter?
A: Arrrr!
Q: You would think so, but his true love be the C!
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

Oh, and the four states piled atop one another in the lower left were unintended red herrings, I suppose. :-)
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

BA8AE79F-98E9-4151-830D-51B7F9079BFE.jpeg
Here’s an interstate fun net tic to keep you occupied while waiting for the Mug reveal.
Amazing installation at the Smithsonian Art Museum. Using real license plates from all the states, in order, the artist has phonetically spelled out the preamble to our constitution.
The link to it appeared in a Fiend comment this week.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

MaineMarge wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:55 am Image

Here’s an interstate fun net tic to keep you occupied while waiting for the Mug reveal.
Amazing installation at the Smithsonian Art Museum. Using real license plates from all the states, in order, the artist has phonetically spelled out the preamble to our constitution.
The link to it appeared in a Fiend comment this week.
May I suggest that this be the mug awarded:

glennk

Post by glennk »

I have lurked here for a long time, never posted, but today I won a mug! I have been at sea so often I have barnacles. If I can win, anyone can. Cheers!
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

I will miss the Zoom gathering as Symphony Chorus rehearsals resume tonight. Will be there any Tuesday that we don't have rehearsal. Have fun and hope to se you all soon.
tiagomeunome

Post by tiagomeunome »

glennk wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:03 am I have lurked here for a long time, never posted, but today I won a mug! I have been at sea so often I have barnacles. If I can win, anyone can. Cheers!
Congrats glenn!
Franklin.Bluth

Post by Franklin.Bluth »

mntlblok wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:25 am Oh, and the four states piled atop one another in the lower left were unintended red herrings, I suppose. :-)
Oh boy that got me stuck for a while. I was drawing a map from IN to CA to AR to NY and trying to figure out if they intersected somewhere.
Franklin.Bluth

Post by Franklin.Bluth »

So the kids and I were watching IAWL last year and noticed something for the first time. When Marty Hatch (Mary Bailey's older brother) is said to have fought at the Remagen Bridge, he's shown in the montage for a brief moment facing the camera and then turning away.

The costumers just needed to fit him for a quick scene. I don't even think his pants are shown. Just the jacket and the helmet.

SO WHY DOES THE HELMET HAVE A HOLE IN THE BACK THAT LOOKS LIKE HE GOT SHOT WITH A CANNON??

Think about it. We never see Marty again. Did he die in the war? Is the entire rest of the movie just a Jacob's Ladder-like fantasy taking place in his head?

I need an answer.

//Edit: I suppose it's possible he found it on a dead soldier and took it, but my question is why did the costume designer put him in that helmet for a 1-second shot?
Screenshot_20210907-122456.png
Screenshot_20210907-122442.png
pookie

Post by pookie »

"Good idea Ernie. A toast....to my big brother George, the richest man in town."

Gets me every time. :cry:
MikeMillerwsj

Post by MikeMillerwsj »

Congrats to our solvers for an unusually successful run this week. We had a big turnout with 2101 entries, and a stupendous 95% were correct. A big turnout for PHONETICALLY, with 77 entries, plus sundry other 12-letter guesses, from SUBCONSCIOUS to ABBREVIATION to THOROUGHFARE to many others.
And congrats to this week's winner (as posted above): Glenn Kocurek of Humble, Tex.!
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

Franklin.Bluth wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:16 pm
mntlblok wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:25 am Oh, and the four states piled atop one another in the lower left were unintended red herrings, I suppose. :-)
Oh boy that got me stuck for a while. I was drawing a map from IN to CA to AR to NY and trying to figure out if they intersected somewhere.
And combinations such as eastsoutheast add up to 13. . .
Joepickett

Post by Joepickett »

SewYoung wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:47 pm " I was saving it for a divorce, if I ever get a husband!"
"Every man on that transport died! Harry wasn't there to save them because you weren't there to save Harry!"
"That's right, that's right"
What I want to think when I finish the puzzle each week.
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

„Oh, this old thing? I only wear it when I don’t care how I look.“
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

pookie wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:40 pm "Good idea Ernie. A toast....to my big brother George, the richest man in town."

Stop it. I have something in my eyes.

I LOVE IAWL. Period the end.
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Franklin.Bluth wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:28 pm So the kids and I were watching IAWL last year and noticed something for the first time. When Marty Hatch (Mary Bailey's older brother) is said to have fought at the Remagen Bridge, he's shown in the montage for a brief moment facing the camera and then turning away.

The costumers just needed to fit him for a quick scene. I don't even think his pants are shown. Just the jacket and the helmet.

SO WHY DOES THE HELMET HAVE A HOLE IN THE BACK THAT LOOKS LIKE HE GOT SHOT WITH A CANNON??

Think about it. We never see Marty again. Did he die in the war? Is the entire rest of the movie just a Jacob's Ladder-like fantasy taking place in his head?

I need an answer.

//Edit: I suppose it's possible he found it on a dead soldier and took it, but my question is why did the costume designer put him in that helmet for a 1-second shot?

Screenshot_20210907-122456.pngScreenshot_20210907-122442.png
to convey with immediacy the brutality of war?
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Maybe that gaping opening is a sly echo of Clarence's sentiment: "Each man's life touches so many other lives. When he isn't around he leaves an awful hole, doesn't he?"
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Dplass wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:23 am
pookie wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:40 pm "Good idea Ernie. A toast....to my big brother George, the richest man in town."

Stop it. I have something in my eyes.

I LOVE IAWL. Period the end.
Trivia: The kid who opened up the dance floor over the swimming pool is much more famous for another role he played. What was it?
boharr

Post by boharr »

Alfalfa. Hey.