"Interstate Travel" - September 3, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

whimsy wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:52 pm
SReh26 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:34 pm
regfish7 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:22 pm

😂 my notes look similar! I’m not sure my explanation helped much but I try make contest converts when I can!
So buddy, watcha doin?
What do you mean?
That little lady seems to think you‘re trouble.
Me!!?? How so!??
She says you’re taking notes on this joint! Whatsamatta..
No, no, it‘s crossword meta!
Meta who??
It‘s a puzzle. There’s a puzzle WITHIN the puzzle...
Sure there is!
No it‘s true, I‘m a Muggle!
A what?
A muggle- there are several thousand of us all over the country!
THAT‘s it! Eddie, get over here! Take care of this guy!
Nooooooo....!!
Reminds me of the scene in Martini's in "Potterville." :P
Me too! My last lines were going to be, „through the door or out the window! And we don’t need any Muggles around here to give the joint character!“
OGuyDave

Post by OGuyDave »

Huh? Why?
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

My (fortunately quick) rabbit hole was 42D. They follow CUES=ARS. I thought I would need to find 12 phonetic spellings of letters of the alphabet. I was glancing through the grid for " letters". Then I noticed either ILL ANNOY or INDIE ANNA and it was a quick trip to shore.
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

OGuyDave wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:42 pmHuh? Why?
I think not everyone gets this at first glance. I didn’t either, but it‘s genius. HAWAII!!
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Barney wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:43 am
MaineMarge wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:07 am 9D6253F2-66BD-4E34-A3A8-F15CBE474AB5.jpeg

Happy birthday @Wendy Walker and @MaineMarge ! Yes, Wendy and I share this Sept 6 birthday. Such extra fun! I’m hitting a big one today. Not telling, but here are some clues:
1. “Help! _ _ _ _ me!””
2. Air outlet _ _ _ _
3. Come for _ _ _ at 4pm
4. Small flutelike instrument _ _ _ _. 🤫
(TMI). I’ll leave it to Wendy to spill her own beans.
Took me a minute till I realized that the last answer is a namesake of mine.
Seventy Oboe??? 🤣🤣

oh... got it! happy birthday!!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

PHOFER

Post by PHOFER »

“Reminds me of the scene in Martini's in "Potterville."”

Because these things matter, and keeping the alternative reality perfectly clear, that happened at “Nick’s” in Pottersville.
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

PHOFER wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:31 pm “Reminds me of the scene in Martini's in "Potterville."”

Because these things matter, and keeping the alternative reality perfectly clear, that happened at “Nick’s” in Pottersville.
This is a favorite in my family! We quote it at random in conversations where it fits, to giggles.

„What‘s the matter with you! Don’t you think I know where I live?“

„You know it‘s all over town that you‘ve been giving money to Violet Bick...“

„It‘s Sam Wainwright calling.....!!!“
boharr

Post by boharr »

I want to spend Christmas in Elmira with my family.
pjc

Post by pjc »

I did get on shore on Sunday, but it took me way too long to get there.

Thursday was spent looking for two-letter state abbreviations in the grid linking the answers to the three indicated clues together. Not sure what I was trying to achieve there :D But got nowhere

Friday, I finally noticed fun-net-tic and got distracted by the fact that the two long answers - when pronounced - each start by pronouncing a letter (PIECERATE starts by saying 'P' and EMMASTONE starts by saying 'M"). Unfortunately, I found exactly 12 examples of that in the grid (not counting things like 'UNC') and could NOT get myself out of that rabbit hole - trying to twist those 12 letters into something.

On Sunday, I finally managed to un-see all that, found ILL-ANNOY and the rest happened in about 15 seconds.

I need to learn to abandon routes that just aren't working!
cheryl w

Post by cheryl w »

I did not even see the phonetic states (whoops)!
C=64

Post by C=64 »

GNU HAMSTER
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

LadyBird wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:41 pm A fun and clever meta, PURe and simPLE. This morning, we headed out on our own interstate travel (many hours and many states) to see this reMARkable and not-so-TINy-
Back in my golfing days, one of the more entertaining fellows who sometimes played with us had some great lines. After sinking a long, curling putt, he'd go "like a martin to a gourd"!
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

Gman wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:29 am My smallest of quibbles was that the title implied travel between the states, whereas the phonetic clues to the final answer were located between the sounds of individual states. So maybe INTRASTATE might have been a better title.
The very bone that *I* had intended to pick.
KayW

Post by KayW »

mntlblok wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:45 pm
Gman wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:29 am My smallest of quibbles was that the title implied travel between the states, whereas the phonetic clues to the final answer were located between the sounds of individual states. So maybe INTRASTATE might have been a better title.
The very bone that *I* had intended to pick.
Along those lines, I always giggle at the thought or sight of this:
H1.png
ummm.... to what other state are we traveling?
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
DannyWalter

Post by DannyWalter »

So I guess no one ran aground on Newfoundland, a 12-letter word and a place that was ravaged by a pirate named Easton? I knew this was a dead end, but who can resist following a potential pirate clue? From there, of course, it's a short leap to "Arr! can saw".
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

I always wondered how it was that Hawaii has an Interstate Highway. Doesn't make any sense unless there is a veeerrry long bridge.
C=64

Post by C=64 »

SewYoung wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:42 pm I always wondered how it was that Hawaii has an Interstate Highway. Doesn't make any sense unless there is a veeerrry long bridge.
In order to receive federal funding.
Franklin.Bluth

Post by Franklin.Bluth »

boharr wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:03 pm I want to spend Christmas in Elmira with my family.
We serve hard drinks in here for men who wanna get drunk fast, and we don't need any "characters" to give the joint "atmosphere".

That old place? I wouldn't live in there as a ghost.

You should read the new book Mark Twain is writing.

I heard it. It's about time one of you knuckleheads said it.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

" I was saving it for a divorce, if I ever get a husband!"
"Every man on that transport died! Harry wasn't there to save them because you weren't there to save Harry!"