"Some Real Duds In There" - August 27, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

TeaJenny wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:49 am
Tom Shea wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:57 pm
SReh26 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:03 pm

and my responses, for those who missed it!

(to me this is hilarious, but that probably says something about me)
The answer is 42. But I forgot what the question is.

Hope that's not a spoiler. If it is, I have the wrong answer.
Coincidentally, today is my 42nd birthday! :D

And we're having a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy themed party!
Share and Enjoy!
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

Late in reporting my ashore-ness.
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

DaveWa wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:11 pm I'm ashore. I'm not surprised that the shore is so crowded this week. But with all the movie talk I am surprised (unless I missed something in the 300+ posts) that there is no discussion of our favorite movie snacks. Milk Duds for me. :)
Goobers. Raisinets are the devil's work.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

SReh26 wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:46 pm
LadyBird wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:29 pm
DaveWa wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:11 pm I'm ashore. I'm not surprised that the shore is so crowded this week. But with all the movie talk I am surprised (unless I missed something in the 300+ posts) that there is no discussion of our favorite movie snacks. Milk Duds for me. :)
Junior mints for me. I had such a craving for them during my first pregnancy. Triggered, I think, by the Seinfeld episode where Kramer is observing an operation and a Junior Mint goes flying into the operating field.
Dots when in theatre.
The trick is having the discipline to eat one-by-one, allowing them to melt fully. No chewing.

I've bought my box for November's Top Gun: Maverick.

boharr

Post by boharr »

Jujyfruits. Except in the movie theater in my small home town, they were always stale. Still, we had a good time tossing them at one another
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

boharr wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:52 pm Jujyfruits. Except in the movie theater in my small home town, they were always stale. Still, we had a good time tossing them at one another
We used Good n Plenty
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Ann

Post by Ann »

Late in reporting my on shore status
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Ergcat wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:01 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:17 pm
Ergcat wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:39 pm

I’m using my “free time” to pack to go to Iceland 🇮🇸 on Tuesday!
Great place to go. Will you go down to the volcano?
Probably not. Not enough time in the itinerary! The hike to the volcano is pretty steep in places, a round trip hike takes about 4 hrs and the volcano has been active sometimes/and quiet sometimes lately. We had thought about a helicopter tour of it but they are all booked. We will be doing glacier, ice cave and lava tube hikes, a whale watching tour, and a couple of geothermal pools. We’ll be busy doing the entire ring road in 8 days!
Too bad. We have been to Iceland twice on self guided tours. One in the summer and in the winter to see the Northern Lights. Have a good time
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
TeaJenny

Post by TeaJenny »

LadyBird wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:29 pm
Junior mints for me. I had such a craving for them during my first pregnancy. Triggered, I think, by the Seinfeld episode where Kramer is observing an operation and a Junior Mint goes flying into the operating field.
Junior Mints are my favorite, too!
You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Billy M wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:29 am Despite still doing the daily wsj grids over a cup of coffee each morning, I've taken a few months off from the metas as I found it necessary with returning to full time work. Excited to dive in to what I've missed.

That being said I can confidently say that I'm both happy to be back and also to be on shore this fine Sunday morning with this quick one. Bloody Mary for me since it's Sunday and well before noon :).
Congrats on returning to full time work, assuming congrats are in order, and welcome back!
boharr

Post by boharr »

Goodnight Mr. Grant.

RIP Ed Asner
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Scott M wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:36 pm
Thems fightin words. Raisinets are VASTLY superior to Goobers.
Shirley

Post by Shirley »

Ashore Thursday evening but just now posting. A fun puzzle!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

A little early "final" report. When we are close to a record, I check Monday to see any late arrivals on the shore.

We have 252 on the shore at present - I will give a final count tomorrow

Since noon, several muggles have gotten to shore - most were there but hiding

The latest on shore are
Ben B and son
Peter
ZooAnimalsOnWheels
KscX
Janet P
OGuyDave
martimeryard
Thurman8er
Lyman
periperi
David Wa
Ann
Shirley

Stay safe especially those in Ida's path. The only impact on us in NE is that my Thursday golf is going to get rained out.
Last edited by Bob cruise director on Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Dplass wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:14 pm
Yes! And dark chocolate raisinets are the perfect snack food. I don’t eat them (or really anything but the occasional popcorn) at movies though.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

BarbaraK wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:46 pm
Dplass wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:14 pm

Yes! And dark chocolate raisinets are the perfect snack food. I don’t eat them (or really anything but the occasional popcorn) at movies though.
OMG dark chocolate covered raisins are my Kryptonite.
Grover

Post by Grover »

Oops, I should have posted being on shore Friday morning. Just started reading the last eight pages of entries and realize that we are in record territory so I am adding myself to be counted.
The best part of Sneak Previews (At the Movies??) was when Gene Siskel would be ranting about a truly horrible move and Roger would be laughing uncontrollably in the background. Given the quality of movies today, that would be a weekly occurrence if those two gentlemen were still with us.
Croakker

Post by Croakker »

The missus and I are also onshore :-)
SingleMalt

Post by SingleMalt »

Since I announced my arrival on shore in the morning I was prevented from properly announcing my arrival. Here it is Sunday night I am nervously sipping on a neat Port Charlotte fearing that I am 2 hours and 40 minutes away from being admitted to a Pageant...
SingleMalt

Post by SingleMalt »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:32 pm
boharr wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:52 pm Jujyfruits. Except in the movie theater in my small home town, they were always stale. Still, we had a good time tossing them at one another
We used Good n Plenty
Has anyone mentioned Sweedish Fish yet?