"Starting Positions" - August 20, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

@MatthewL , @LadyBird , @Hidden in 3D , @KayW ,@Joe Ross ,@Bill Bovard ,@escapeartist

HMMM - I will have to ponder page 1 entries. I would have never looked but Joe sent me a PM about it. However tips for the cruise director have been slim for the last year so there is a potential that my decision could be swayed - LOL.

I believe that it has been corrected. Maybe we can treat these like steroid era baseball statistics.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Bob cruise director wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:16 am I believe that it has been corrected. Maybe we can treat these like steroid era baseball statistics.
I'd rather have the juiced-roiders' contracts...
boharr

Post by boharr »

Joe Ross wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:19 am
Bob cruise director wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:16 am I believe that it has been corrected. Maybe we can treat these like steroid era baseball statistics.
I didn't see it. Not fair! Not fair! (But can I get a nudge?)
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

I printed it out but have decided to wait until tomorrow after 4 to start on it.

The fear of an early solve and having to wait more than one full week for the next meta outweighed my urge to start on it right away.
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
hoover

Post by hoover »

It's gone now. :(
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

escapeartist wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:46 am I printed it out but have decided to wait until tomorrow after 4 to start on it.

The fear of an early solve and having to wait more than one full week for the next meta outweighed my urge to start on it right away.
Same here -- on vacation (no printer) and I do it online anyway.
Fun to get a little peak though. :shock:
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Bob cruise director wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:16 am @MatthewL , @LadyBird , @Hidden in 3D , @KayW ,@Joe Ross ,@Bill Bovard ,@escapeartist

HMMM - I will have to ponder page 1 entries. I would have never looked but Joe sent me a PM about it. However tips for the cruise director have been slim for the last year so there is a potential that my decision could be swayed - LOL.

I believe that it has been corrected. Maybe we can treat these like steroid era baseball statistics.
If we are all counted as page one already, think of how that opens up even more room on Thursday for additional page one solvers. Although I would post at some point--so there will be a "birdy-gram" @whimsy

And I would definitely have an asterisk on my meta-statistics spreadsheet--not for the solve (I did do that last week thanks to a nudge) but for my "other" note on making it to page one, which doesn't happen very often.
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

LadyBird wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:29 am Okay, I was going to bed and then I saw the post and just had to do the puzzle. I believe that I am ashore.
That's hilarious! :-)
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

I am not deigning to descend into this utter chaos. 🤨 I’m waiting until tomorrow at 4pm. 😇 Meantime, I’m going to do Wednesday’s puzzle. There must be order and decorum, people, or we are lost. 🤦‍♀️

ok just kidding!

oh its gone anyway! darn! lol.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Bob cruise director wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:16 am @MatthewL , @LadyBird , @Hidden in 3D , @KayW ,@Joe Ross ,@Bill Bovard ,@escapeartist

So, Bob, I don't suppose you could append an "On Shore" from me to your puzzle intro? That way I would not only make Page 1, I'd make post #1.
Didn't think so.
auee89

Post by auee89 »

Solved and completed quickly for me. Although, I would not have been on page 1 - probably somewhere around page 3 or so.
Kevin
KayW

Post by KayW »

MatthewL wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:08 am Ashore for 8/27/21. Like Bird, Bill, Joe, Kay and Hidden, I'm counting this as a page 1 solve. Boooya!

Edited to add: I'll be curious how many people will be hitting refresh on this forum at 4:01 p.m. on Thursday to get the actual page 1 post. Hope we don't crash the server. Bad week to be Brian. :roll:
I don't plan to post 8/27 shore status until I email my submission. And only AFTER page one is filled, in fairness to those who snoozed and loozed. And I'll post then only for the sanity of our cruise director diligently tracking all this.

Anyhoo, I figure I already made page minus-2 or minus-3 (depending on how many more posts there are in this week's thread).
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

MatthewL wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:08 am I'll be curious how many people will be hitting refresh on this forum at 4:01 p.m. on Thursday to get the actual page 1 post. Hope we don't crash the server. Bad week to be Brian. :roll:
I'm thinking about creating the Thursday puzzle thread tonight and moving all these posts to it already, which would probably more than fill up page 1. Imagine all the regulars showing up to find out they missed page 1 by 20 hours! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

I’m with Kay. I’ve solved the 8/27 meta, but I won’t post until page 1 is full of solvers who started at 4 pm on 8/27.
Cynthia
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

boharr wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:35 am
Joe Ross wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:19 am
I didn't see it. Not fair! Not fair! (But can I get a nudge?)
You won’t need a nudge, IMHO.
Cynthia
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

BrianMac wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:27 pm
MatthewL wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:08 am I'll be curious how many people will be hitting refresh on this forum at 4:01 p.m. on Thursday to get the actual page 1 post. Hope we don't crash the server. Bad week to be Brian. :roll:
I'm thinking about creating the Thursday puzzle thread tonight and moving all these posts to it already, which would probably more than fill up page 1. Imagine all the regulars showing up to find out they missed page 1 by 20 hours! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh, don’t spoil their fun, Brian. If it’s important to them to be on page 1, let them have a crack at it. (Just my humble opinion. As the administrator who is greatly admired and thanked by all, you can do whatever pleases you! :) )
Cynthia
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

LadyBird wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:19 pm

If we are all counted as page one already, think of how that opens up even more room on Thursday for additional page one solvers. Although I would post at some point--so there will be a "birdy-gram" @whimsy

And I would definitely have an asterisk on my meta-statistics spreadsheet--not for the solve (I did do that last week thanks to a nudge) but for my "other" note on making it to page one, which doesn't happen very often.
As a group, we are a bunch of nerd record keepers.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
boharr

Post by boharr »

You could also add an * to the posts of those who solved early. It might be the only time we all would know what the * meant.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

CPJohnson wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:34 pm
Oh, don’t spoil their fun, Brian. If it’s important to them to be on page 1, let them have a crack at it. (Just my humble opinion. As the administrator who is greatly admired and thanked by all, you can do whatever pleases you! :) )
They would survive missing out for just one week. :twisted:

I'm mostly leery of angering the WSJ folks by starting even more discussion about a puzzle that hasn't even been released.
boharr

Post by boharr »

BrianMac wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:41 pm
CPJohnson wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:34 pm

They would survive missing out for just one week. :twisted:

I'm mostly leery of angering the WSJ folks by starting even more discussion about a puzzle that hasn't even been released.
That is an excellent point. Maybe we should all shut up.