"Starting Positions" - August 20, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

BrianMac wrote: โ†‘Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:41 pm I'm mostly leery of angering the WSJ folks by starting even more discussion about a puzzle that hasn't even been released.
I immediately emailed the WSJ Puzzle crew & Mike Miller when I saw the errant posting, as described by Bill Bovard. Mike was appreciative in reply & I warned him that it spilled over onto this topic.

I doubt Mike Miller will care. It's a rare occasion to have a bit of fun with an oddity. It might go down in muggle-lore & have its own name. In any case, I am fine with whatever you decide. ๐Ÿ™‚

(I won't even mention that the contest presents a HUGE PAGEANT opportunity.)
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

(oops)
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Joe Ross wrote: โ†‘Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:53 pm
Oh, great. I zoomed through the puzzle on Tuesday night because I wanted to get to bed. Now I'm going to have to pore over everything in a paranoid fashion.
Bill Bovard

Post by Bill Bovard »

Does this make me an official muggle? How much are the dues and where do I send them?
hoover

Post by hoover »

boharr wrote: โ†‘Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:39 pm
BrianMac wrote: โ†‘Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:27 pm
MatthewL wrote: โ†‘Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:08 am I'll be curious how many people will be hitting refresh on this forum at 4:01 p.m. on Thursday to get the actual page 1 post. Hope we don't crash the server. Bad week to be Brian. :roll:
I'm thinking about creating the Thursday puzzle thread tonight and moving all these posts to it already, which would probably more than fill up page 1. Imagine all the regulars showing up to find out they missed page 1 by 20 hours! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You could also add an * to the posts of those who solved early. It might be the only time we all would know what the * meant.
Only the people who have read the previous week's thread (i.e. this one) will know what the * means.
boharr

Post by boharr »

hoover wrote: โ†‘Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:51 pm
boharr wrote: โ†‘Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:39 pm

I'm thinking about creating the Thursday puzzle thread tonight and moving all these posts to it already, which would probably more than fill up page 1. Imagine all the regulars showing up to find out they missed page 1 by 20 hours! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You could also add an * to the posts of those who solved early. It might be the only time we all would know what the * meant.
Only the people who have read the previous week's thread (i.e. this one) will know what the * means.
And it serves them right.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

BrianMac wrote: โ†‘Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:41 pm
CPJohnson wrote: โ†‘Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:34 pm

Oh, donโ€™t spoil their fun, Brian. If itโ€™s important to them to be on page 1, let them have a crack at it. (Just my humble opinion. As the administrator who is greatly admired and thanked by all, you can do whatever pleases you! :) )
They would survive missing out for just one week. :twisted:

I'm mostly leery of angering the WSJ folks by starting even more discussion about a puzzle that hasn't even been released.
I suspect that WSJ cares way less about this than we do ;) If theyโ€™d accidentally posted election results before all the polls were closed, they might hope to limit discussion. But a puzzle? Itโ€™s happened before. It will probably happen again. Theyโ€™ll get over it.

I have solved. As the old saying goes, I can resist anything - except temptation.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

LadyBird wrote: โ†‘Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:46 pm
Oh, great. I zoomed through the puzzle on Tuesday night because I wanted to get to bed. Now I'm going to have to pore over everything in a paranoid fashion.
I assume that Joe is referring to the possibility of the WSJ swapping this puzzle out for a different one, stymieing (had to look up the spelling of that one) everyone who claims to have solved. The idea occurred to me as well. :)
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

BrianMac wrote: โ†‘Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:16 pm
I assume that Joe is referring to the possibility of the WSJ swapping this puzzle out for a different one, stymieing (had to look up the spelling of that one) everyone who claims to have solved. The idea occurred to me as well. :)
(um, no)
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Joe Ross wrote: โ†‘Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:20 pm
BrianMac wrote: โ†‘Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:16 pm

(um, no)
OK then...:)
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Bill Bovard wrote: โ†‘Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:51 pm Does this make me an official muggle? How much are the dues and where do I send them?
You pay your dues every weekend, trust me... ๐Ÿ™„

but seriously, welcome to Muggledom!

or is it Muggledonia?
M-Town?
Mugglehood?
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

SReh26 wrote: โ†‘Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:29 pm
Bill Bovard wrote: โ†‘Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:51 pm Does this make me an official muggle? How much are the dues and where do I send them?

or is it Muggledonia?
M-Town?
Mugglehood?
I've seen Muggledom before.
TeaJenny

Post by TeaJenny »

I peeked, so I have it downloaded, but I didn't work on it yet.

Quivering with antici-
Last edited by TeaJenny on Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
TeaJenny

Post by TeaJenny »

-pation!
You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Dplass wrote: โ†‘Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:22 pm
SReh26 wrote: โ†‘Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:29 pm

or is it Muggledonia?
M-Town?
Mugglehood?
I've seen Muggledom before.
Muggleopolis?
United Muggles of America?
International Brother/Sisterhood of Muggles?
Muggleaic League?

ok I need to take a walk... ๐Ÿ˜‚
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Confederation of Independent Muggles?

(Is that from Eastern Europe or Star Trek?)
Bill Bovard

Post by Bill Bovard »

All good as long as WSJ doesn't publish future election results or stock prices.