"Jewel Case" - August 13, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Joe Ross wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:43 pm
BrianMac wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:47 am
Bird Lives wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:35 am ...
If I may, I will add another rule to the main rule of no spoilers: Anything that will likely cause dissension will be deleted or redacted, period. There are any number of issues that fall into this category, but expressing political views, in particular, will not be tolerated, whether wrapped in a joke or any other rhetoric. This corner of the internet is somewhat unique in that it exists without trolling and divisiveness (beyond the use of the Oxford comma or the em dash versus the en dash). I'll do whatever it takes to keep it this way.
Also amazing that there is little (at least that I see) political folderol posted here. And I'd bet Al Sisti's Guinness bill that we run the gamut (sometimes my own head does) as far a those type of views. Yet another testament to the fine work our fearless leaders perform.

I do remember feeling wrath here once for posting something not related to landing on shore on the first page (hint: it's only for announcing shore leave). I'm still stinging from the death stares I could feel over the interwebs. I'll remember to say hello on page 2+ in the future.
Rufus T. Firefly
Bill_Swerski_13

Post by Bill_Swerski_13 »

So it took me forever on Friday, but I got ashore. For the group's entertainment, though, I thought people might get a kick out of how I arrived at my first "answer" -- enter the mind of a madman:

Ok, JOHN PAUL was a pope, lets peruse his Wikipedia page for inspiration.. "he was the first pope to add the regnal number "I", designating himself "the First"." ....ok, hmm so he's actually JOHN PAUL I, is the roman numeral omission on purpose? ...So if I complete his full title by putting an "I" in the black square after the answer, I could call that a black "I" which is like "black eye"! hmmm.. there's also a "MACH" clue going down, close to HIGH SPEED and MPH... Mach *One* is the speed of sound and that's pretty HIGH SPEED.. so if I use a roman numeral for one, that's another "black eye"! Is the SMALL I answer trying to tell me that's right? Ok so we've got some "black eyes" in the grid... a synonym for "black eye" is "shiner" ...and diamonds are "SHINY" !!!

Thankfully I knew that was a bonkers "mechanism" and put the puzzle away for a while before coming back to it.
pookie

Post by pookie »

C=64 "Jewel Case. Ok, the parts of the meta will probably be encased in rectangles formed by other letters."
Wendy Walker- " My first thought was that "case" in the title indicated that the mechanism would involve some kind of "surrounding".
Yep. Me too, except WHAT letters am I looking for?
Thought there must be a word chain HOPE, HOPS. HYPE HELP... Ack! Going nowhere.
Even went to the clues citing countries. JAPAN, NETHERLANDS, CANADA, RUSSIA, INDIA.
Good grief. HOPE.
Another four day solve. (sigh)
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Tom Shea wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:40 pm I do remember feeling wrath here once for posting something not related to landing on shore on the first page (hint: it's only for announcing shore leave). I'm still stinging from the death stares I could feel over the interwebs. I'll remember to say hello on page 2+ in the future.
We blame @Wendy Walker for that Page One kerfuffle.../kerfuffle . . .
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Joe Ross wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:24 pm
Tom Shea wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:40 pm I do remember feeling wrath here once for posting something not related to landing on shore on the first page (hint: it's only for announcing shore leave). I'm still stinging from the death stares I could feel over the interwebs. I'll remember to say hello on page 2+ in the future.
Check your autocorrect, if you would, Joe -- I'm sure you meant to type "We thank Wendy Walker," not "We blame Wendy Walker."
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

iggystan wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:40 am Originally I thought CDs as others did, but that wasn't going to pan out. Then I thought of a diamond shape but that didn't pan out. Finally, late Sunday I looked closer at the themers and noticed the H-P connection and got STNY. I went back to 40A and figured the O came from there and submitted STONY. I also noticed there was actually a H-PE connection with three of the four themers, but not John Paul. I also saw Hops. Did I go back to my diamond shape idea and see HOPE around the answer letters? Nope, but floated safely to shore anyway. This is why I suck at chess.
Glad to know that I'm not the only one who didn't notice the "O" and "E" above and below the other letters. I also didn't pick up on "HOPS" . I did submit the right answer, but without noticing those things, it was somewhat unsatisfying. Makes much more sense, now.
Last edited by SewYoung on Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

I always get a chuckle out of 'kerfuffle'.

...and shenanigans.

...and harrumph. Especially when watching Blazing Saddles.
Rufus T. Firefly
MikeMillerwsj

Post by MikeMillerwsj »

We thought this was quite a challenging one, but our solvers piled in with correct answers: 1251 entries, about 80% correct. A big showing for SHINY (close but...) with 42, plus CLEAR (12), ROUGH (6), TAWNY (3), HEIST (funny guess, 2) and many others.

Congrats to this week's winner: Tamara Brenner of Elmhurst, Ill.!
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

mheberlingx100 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:55 am
Wendy Walker wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:27 am I w
The other tip off on the Hope Diamond clue is the parentheses in the clue. Not sure if it always means it’s important to solving, but it’s the first rabbit hole that I would dive into.
And 50A?
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Tom Shea wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:30 pm
Wendy Walker wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:37 pm
Check your autocorrect, if you would, Joe -- I'm sure you meant to type "We thank Wendy Walker," not "We blame Wendy Walker."
I always get a chuckle out of 'kerfuffle'.

...and shenanigans.

...and harrumph. Especially when watching Blazing Saddles.
I didn't get a "HARUMPH!" out of that @Wendy Walker! 😠

Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

whimsy wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:55 am
MatthewL wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:05 am
I thought he was referencing "High Hopes"
Yup. Silly, naive (and oh so innocent me. :P ) The only spoilerish connection I could make was this --

Googled and listened to it yesterday. :-)
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

flyingMoose wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:58 pm Unapologetically taken from the post on the Crossword Fiend site:
Kid's got talent. My kind of group of instruments, too. Might need a run up to the mountains. . .
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

Bill_Swerski_13 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:43 pm So it took me forever on Friday, but I got ashore. For the group's entertainment, though, I thought people might get a kick out of how I arrived at my first "answer" -- enter the mind of a madman:

Ok, JOHN PAUL was a pope, lets peruse his Wikipedia page for inspiration.. "he was the first pope to add the regnal number "I", designating himself "the First"." ....ok, hmm so he's actually JOHN PAUL I, is the roman numeral omission on purpose? ...So if I complete his full title by putting an "I" in the black square after the answer, I could call that a black "I" which is like "black eye"! hmmm.. there's also a "MACH" clue going down, close to HIGH SPEED and MPH... Mach *One* is the speed of sound and that's pretty HIGH SPEED.. so if I use a roman numeral for one, that's another "black eye"! Is the SMALL I answer trying to tell me that's right? Ok so we've got some "black eyes" in the grid... a synonym for "black eye" is "shiner" ...and diamonds are "SHINY" !!!

Thankfully I knew that was a bonkers "mechanism" and put the puzzle away for a while before coming back to it.
Love it!! And, it sounds *very* similar (to me) to what's been involved with getting *at* some of these puzzles!
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

pookie wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:45 pm C=64 "Jewel Case. Ok, the parts of the meta will probably be encased in rectangles formed by other letters."
Wendy Walker- " My first thought was that "case" in the title indicated that the mechanism would involve some kind of "surrounding".
Yep. Me too, except WHAT letters am I looking for?
Thought there must be a word chain HOPE, HOPS. HYPE HELP... Ack! Going nowhere.
Even went to the clues citing countries. JAPAN, NETHERLANDS, CANADA, RUSSIA, INDIA.
Good grief. HOPE.
Another four day solve. (sigh)
Love it. :-)
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

MikeMillerwsj wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:37 pm HEIST (funny guess, 2)

Congrats to this week's winner: Tamara Brenner of Elmhurst, Ill.!
Actually I went there at one point --- as in Clouseau being on the case of the Pink Panther.

(Not going to erase Tamara .:) )
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Feel free to congratulate me on my excellent dr checkup this afternoon. 🩺 🤒👨‍⚕️It’s especially nice to get those as we become more .... statesmanlike.
C=64

Post by C=64 »

Did anyone else think of this NFL legend after solving?
stoney-case-autographed-football-card-new-mexico-lobos-1995-classic-draft-rookie-number-98_ss2_p-12349269+u-s4pqx7ujwj01rr2af7rt+v-f988beaa953b464cb4232eb756c27073.jpg
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

C=64 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:09 pm Did anyone else think of this NFL legend after solving?

stoney-case-autographed-football-card-new-mexico-lobos-1995-classic-draft-rookie-number-98_ss2_p-12349269+u-s4pqx7ujwj01rr2af7rt+v-f988beaa953b464cb4232eb756c27073.jpg
no but I certainly will now! lol.
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

That diamond shape turned up, again, in my sphere.
JetStream

Post by JetStream »

Another great meta that I simply gave up on. They sure are clever but I lose patience trying to decipher them. Congrats to all who solved it.