"Three Little Words" - August 6, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
WSJosh

Post by WSJosh »

Still at sea, again this week…
ZooAnimalsOnWheels

Post by ZooAnimalsOnWheels »

rosiegirl wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:06 pm Was there an Abbott and Costello Marathon yesterday? My husband was watching one where the "mad scientist" was trying to switch brains between Costello and Frankenstein.
TCM is doing an August with each day devoted to a different star. Yesterday was Abbott and Costello, today is Esther Williams. So I was able to watch this historically accurate musical number this morning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOXJZW6IS2M :D Of course, it was much higher quality on TCM.
Kas

Post by Kas »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:56 pm
Kas wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:09 pm Aha.
[With much eye-rolling, forehead slapping and relief that my Ah-ha moment this week happened *before* seeing the answer posted...]
So, adios Issac, and HELLO, CABANA!! (Just a seltzer for me, please--I'll donate my drink ticket to one of you lushier Muggles...) :D
A clear KAS 2
Spot on, sir: A textbook Kas 2. Reposting here for our newer members--always delighted to see the continuing growth of Muggledom!
1. The Metas that yield the A-Ha Moment too early...and I'm irritable about it, because I'm a dork;

2. The Metas that I torture myself over, then the a-ha moment is basically a head-slapping "Oh DUH!! You Eeeediott!!" Those make me laugh, self-deprecation is no problem;

3. The Metas I gut through, *eventually* figure out...and then walk around the rest of the weekend like I just solved The Middle East or learned Sanskrit;

4. The Metas I DON'T get...but *should* have. (It happens. I don't want to talk about it.)

5. The Metas I don't get, and after the answer is revealed I think, "Yeah...that wasn't going to happen." (Those mostly make me want to put out a Mob hit on certain genius MUGgles...Lol!)
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

I'm ashore! A Kas 2, for sure. And I was in my usual umpteen rabbit holes.
Cynthia
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Kas wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:00 pm
Kas wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:09 pm Aha.
[With much eye-rolling, forehead slapping and relief that my Ah-ha moment this week happened *before* seeing the answer posted...]
So, adios Issac, and HELLO, CABANA!! (Just a seltzer for me, please--I'll donate my drink ticket to one of you lushier Muggles...) :D
A clear KAS 2
Spot on, sir: A textbook Kas 2. Reposting here for our newer members--always delighted to see the continuing growth of Muggledom!
1. The Metas that yield the A-Ha Moment too early...and I'm irritable about it, because I'm a dork;

2. The Metas that I torture myself over, then the a-ha moment is basically a head-slapping "Oh DUH!! You Eeeediott!!" Those make me laugh, self-deprecation is no problem;

3. The Metas I gut through, *eventually* figure out...and then walk around the rest of the weekend like I just solved The Middle East or learned Sanskrit;

4. The Metas I DON'T get...but *should* have. (It happens. I don't want to talk about it.)

5. The Metas I don't get, and after the answer is revealed I think, "Yeah...that wasn't going to happen." (Those mostly make me want to put out a Mob hit on certain genius MUGgles...Lol!)
And the Kas scale has been immemorialized in Come Aboard/FAQ's Commmunity viewtopic.php?f=18&t=35
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

hoover wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:43 pm
I binge-read a bunch of the Ludlum novels in the early 80s. After about four, I realized that I no longer had any idea which ones I had read and which ones I hadn't, and reading the first few pages of each didn't help. Then I stopped reading them.
I have a number of mystery series that I read--and always had trouble keeping them straight. Especially when they have a similar setting. There are 3 series all set in and around WW1: two by Charles Todd (nurse Bess Crawford and Inspector Ian Rutledge) and one by Jacqueline Winspear (Maisie Dobbs). So I have a list on my phone with all of the (many) series that I read--listing all of the books in the series and I put an asterisk by them as I read them. Very helpful when I go to the library.

My neighbor's mom also loved mystery series. In those pre-smart phone days, she would just put a unique mark on the back cover of library books as she read them, so that she would know if she had already read it or not on her subsequent trips to the library.
Jeanrosz

Post by Jeanrosz »

On shore with a push from bob!
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

Dplass wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:06 am
ImOnToo wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:11 pm So, I hadn't been able to figure out anything regarding the meta since Thursday. I had decided that it just wasn't in the cards this week and set the puzzle down in my lap while I turned my attention to a movie (Abbott and Costello Meet the Invisible Man. Don't judge!) At one point, I looked down as I moved the puzzle from my lap and, BAM! The mechanism was staring me right in the face!

Happy to be on shore!
My dad and I watched that too last night! Welcome to the shore.
Svengoolie?
Konnie
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

PSA: if a Lidl opens near you and you ESPY some of their house brand frozen Italian imported tiramisu, with fresh non-GMO cream and mascarpone, keep walking!!! It’s THAT good! Likewise Haagen Dazs Bourbon Vanilla Bean Truffle ice cream! Yes it has bourbon in it!

I just gained 7 lbs! 😢
Not exactly unforeseeable, however! 🤣

separately, if you’d like to see 200 pandemic close up pics of the Empire state building in various weather - including 4th of July fireworks pics -taken by yours truly, you can see them on my instagram page under this same pseudonym, SReh26. Or should I say, NOM DE PLUME? (Deckname in German). I’m pretty bored if you haven’t guessed!
Last edited by SReh26 on Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:26 pm, edited 6 times in total.
pookie

Post by pookie »

On shore, Bob.
Only took me FOUR DAYS. :roll:
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

My daughter just sent me this pic--I am SO tempted! :D
Screenshot_20210808-145819_Google.jpg
Gman

Post by Gman »

Forgot to post that I am ashore.
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

LadyBird wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:01 pm My daughter just sent me this pic--I am SO tempted! :D

Screenshot_20210808-145819_Google.jpg
you’ve gotta get it - it’s awesome!
iggystan

Post by iggystan »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:18 pm
Kas wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:00 pm

A clear KAS 2

And the Kas scale has been immemorialized in Come Aboard/FAQ's Commmunity viewtopic.php?f=18&t=35
On Shore.

A clear KAS 2 for me as well. I agree with the sticky note on the monitor comment. I have looked at this on and off and was going nowhere. I started to work on the LA Times Sunday puzzle and a thought struck me. There was the "aha" I was waiting for. Nice construction by Mr. Shenk.
Bill_Swerski_13

Post by Bill_Swerski_13 »

A late-breaking journey ashore on my first day as a Muggle. Hooray! Now it's pizza time.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

On shore finally, thanks to a friendly reminder. I was not at all surprised that I did not know this song.
Jay
JAQT

Post by JAQT »

On shore after far too many weeks with my good friend Isaac, although I needed Google to confirm the answer as I had never heard of it.
JustAQuickThought
eagle1279

Post by eagle1279 »

On shore, after four days staring and circling and highlighting and otherwise rabbit-chasing.

A glass of Chardonnay was poured to celebrate finding the first step with only six hours left, but almost thrown against the wall when a subsequent step didn’t work out. Stupid error corrected and a second glass will now be poured.

I am once again in awe of how Messrs. Shenk and Gaffney work an idea into such an elegant puzzle. :shock:
eagle1279

Post by eagle1279 »

SReh26 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:24 pm
Guy wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:51 pm Hello Isaac my old friend....
I’ve come to drink with you again....
Because a rabbit softly creeping….
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

eagle1279 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:49 pm
SReh26 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:24 pm
Guy wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:51 pm Hello Isaac my old friend....
I’ve come to drink with you again....
Because a rabbit softly creeping….
Invades my dreams while I am sleeping