"You'll Take One Soon" - June 21, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Saturday morning fellow muggles

A very clever puzzle by Mr. Gaffney. We have 7 on the ship and 56 on the shore

Before we get started I wanted to acknowledge our poets lauriat- Anita of Jim and Anita fame, aka Joyce Kilmer and Thomas W. Great contributions

Next I want to thank Frank H's daughters for showing him the light on the title. If they are anything like my daughter it was accompanied with a rolling of the eyes and an "Oh Dad" and silently saying how can he be so obtuse.

And welcome to our newest muggle since yesterday STL-D

Keeping Isaac in business on the ship are:
Janet
the Commodore
Mark L
Cynthia J
Susan G
Jim and Anita

And on the moderately crowded shore are:
Leslie
Wendy
Laura
Hector
Al
Meg
Beth T
your humble cruise director
Barbara K
ky-mike
Burak
Tmart
Frankie
scooby
Les
Beth A
tina
Doug M
Matthew
31 Down
Chris
Jeffrey
Toby
oldjudge
James W
Jack
Peter L
OGuyDave
Heidi
inca
Orsys
Emily K
memay131
Cindy
Jennifer
Brian M
Janet P
Eric P
Howard H
Barbara H
drabble
David K
Bill
Scott M
Brian
the thurman8er
gamera13
phofer
Frank
Beth C - a good week for our three Beth's
Fred
Bill H
jlgoetz1
Jimmyjam
STL-D
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

Got the obvious first step and what looked like an obvious second step. But neither hide more ‘hare’ to be found after that. After a long streak of success, I think I’ll be stuck with Isaac.
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

As much as I'd like to be at the Tiki bar on shore, I am still LAS. Isaac says he's glad for the company after the past couple of lonely weeks, though ;)
STL-D

Post by STL-D »

Just realized I solved the puzzle and sent in the wrong answer. I can't believe I'll be the only one, but if there's a way to screw up, I can do it!

When in doubt......

So much for my avatar pic..... Lol
Janet

Post by Janet »

Stuck at what I think is step 2, but that may be the problem. Perhaps the rabbit fur is actually a red herring. I still have time (love that countdown).
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

After some sweaty yard work, I sat down to take another look (and cool off). Perseverance paid off and I am now enjoying a cool beverage at the Tiki bar!!!
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

Janet wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:40 pm Stuck at what I think is step 2, but that may be the problem. Perhaps the rabbit fur is actually a red herring. I still have time (love that countdown).
The vision of a herring with fur makes me :lol: (I see a mash-up the Monty Python fish-slapping dance and the killer rabbit of Caerbannog sketches.)
While I still have hope to crack this, I think the Monday postmortems will be quite interesting.
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Hi friends and muggles( both good 7 letter nouns)- now that I’m finally on shore, I think I’ll take a well deserved nap. One of my favorite 3 letter nouns. Along with gin, pie and fun. Not a spoiler, but my favorite 5 letter noun is peony- currently awash with over 150 different peonies starting to bloom in our gardens. Unbelievable beauty and aroma. And unending hours tending them in a total labor of love. Provides me good time to work on these great metas in my head 💤
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

MaineMarge wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:44 pm Hi friends and muggles( both good 7 letter nouns)- now that I’m finally on shore, I think I’ll take a well deserved nap. One of my favorite 3 letter nouns. Along with gin, pie and fun. Not a spoiler, but my favorite 5 letter noun is peony- currently awash with over 150 different peonies starting to bloom in our gardens. Unbelievable beauty and aroma. And unending hours tending them in a total labor of love. Provides me good time to work on these great metas in my head 💤
Marge
You do know that peonies bring rain. Every time the peonies blossom, it rains and washes out those delicate flowers.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Hector

Post by Hector »

I smelled my first peony when we lived in Ithaca; the previous owner of our house had planted a bush (before she fell victim to her Suzuki Samurai---to add a morbid digression). I confess that my reaction was: these smell just like fancy soaps! Ants like them, too. Congrats on being on shore, and have fun with your gin pie.
Conrad

Post by Conrad »

Check out my meta crossword writeups on Crossword Fiend: https://crosswordfiend.com/author/conrad/
Jim and Anita

Post by Jim and Anita »

I want to thank everyone, especially 31 Down and Bob, for your encouragement and smiles today. This evening my husband and I had a skype brainstorming session with our son in Boston who discovered a key insight which propelled us all to shore. The best part was discovering it together. I would be delighted to buy a round for everyone at the Tiki bar. Perhaps MaineMarge could bring some peonies as we toast our comaraderie and root for friends still with Isaac. Cheers!
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Hey Bob Cruise Director! (aka BCD) Curses be unto you for mentioning rain on my peonies. Let’s hope the rain stays mainly in Spain (not Maine). But widespread praise be unto you for faithfully and tenderly guiding us through these troubled meta waters. 👍🏻
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

I haven't even gotten to the "obvious" first step.
Jay
Guy

Post by Guy »

Long plane ride today to ponder various rabbit holes, I hope something clicks!
BethA

Post by BethA »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:00 pm
Beth C - a good week for our three Beth's
Let’s not forget Beth S, too! I think there are 4 of us, maybe more.
lusophile

Post by lusophile »

Chasing rabbits since Friday morning. So many holes, so few nets to cover them. My ferret is worn out and asked for a break so we're staying with Isaac for the time being until lightning strikes.
Gwyneth_S

Post by Gwyneth_S »

Mired in overthinking, I’m sure. All the more frustrating with so many muggles onshore. But the company in the ship’s lounge is most enjoyable. Isaac, perhaps a cappuccino to sharpen my (sometimes meager) meta skills? There’s still time!
Patty

Post by Patty »

A beautiful sea view from my seat at the bar. I just don't seem to be 'mind melding' with Matt this week.
CandyB

Post by CandyB »

I am LAS. These last 3 weeks have been tough for me.