"Two for One" - July 23, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

mntlblok wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:44 pm
HunterX wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:18 pm
escapeartist wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:56 pm

I'm not even gonna say what I think your avatar looks like. :shock:
Oh my... Shades of Safety Sam from the movie "The Groove Tube"?
Found and watched said lecture. Can't seem to orient things properly to see them in that light. :-)
Fixed - with a Bart Simpson look-alike who posed for me recently. Mini-season began about 4 hours ago. Shall wait until daylight, however.
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

DBMiller wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:20 pm My first trip over the two for one was putting PLEA in where POPE should go. Made me go "Hmmm" when I figured out PLEA wasn't right, but ended up being the down in POPE. Forgot about it while I finished the grid and then didn't know where to go with the meta.

I returned to that "Hmmm" moment, and also associated CARD/CIRCUS with clown, BAND/WOMAN with Queen, and RED/DYE with Easter. I then went into a deep dive looking for more. CAR/GAS finally hit me, as did FORMAL/ORB, and that's finally when I noticed the e.g. connection in the clues.

Got PARAGON after that, but still hadn't made the connection with "SET A GOOD EXAMPLE".

Finally, it dawned on me - A paragon being a good (if not best) example of something, and the "e.g." connection to that answer as well. Dang, wish I had noticed that sooner!
Anyone remember the song, Things that make you go, Hmmmm?
pjc

Post by pjc »

Schmeel wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:47 am
escapeartist wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:16 am
pjc wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:58 pm I finally had the 'aha' about other answers in the grid pairing up with the example clues (and didn't get them all correct initially; there are at least FOUR 'mantle' answers in the grid).
My first find was "COATS" - slapped my forehead when I realized it should be "YANKEE"
And mine was TALLIS!
TALLIS was one of mine, too! In fact, YANKEE was the LAST one I found :-)
TheCatt

Post by TheCatt »

hcbirker wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:09 am Was stuck for a few minutes until I saw the crossings. Then it was obvious.
My spouse had originally put 2-Down as GAS, then I realized later it was incorrect, and thought "Wow, sure is weird that 12-Across is GAS," and then it all just clicked.