"Crosswords Rock!" - April 12, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Rad26

Post by Rad26 »

Fun puzzle. Got it. Three in a row I think.
Z_S

Post by Z_S »

First time posting, though I have sifted the WSJ comment section in the past.
On shore! This is my 5th time in a row that I've seen the shoreline; I'm glad the metas haven't been ridiculous.

Zane
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

A huge thank you to my friend Bill Katz who loaded my avatar. These are my exact thoughts when I am trying to explain my meta fascination to a non muggle.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

BrianMac wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:46 pm Finally and definitely on shore. Good thing I waited before submitting. 8-) I had an answer that I spent all day trying to convince myself was right. But I printed a fresh grid, did the puzzle again and saw it right away. Still stuck on AVX and PGWCC, though.
Those were both phrases I have never heard!
Joedbee

Post by Joedbee »

Onshore! I also posted on the WSJ Comments where you tracked me as JosephB, Robert. Thanks for all your work in moderating these comments.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good morning for our Saturday report

First - many thanks to Brian for setting this up. It is working well as I learn how to use it.

Second is names. I have the list of names from the WSJ and screen names that we entered on this web site. Where possible I have associated the two sets of names but not always. For our status reports my intention is to use the WSJ name where possible and the blog name where I have either new muggles or have not been able to associate the names.

Third - I have been checking both sites to create one list of those on the ship or the shore.

So without further ado - we have 84 on the shore and Isaac is refinishing the bar for the next time we have a full house on the ship.

On the shore we have
Les
Laura
Meg
Darryl
Tom M
Beth A
Toby
Tina
Steve Beck
Doug M
Chris
Cindy
Tom W
Al
Giovana
Barbara K
Peter
Sheila
Jeremy Smith
David K
Hector
Fred
Jeff D
Frankie
icdogg
ky-mike
Mark L
Leslie
Heidi
Wendy
Trey and marion
William S
Jay
Janet P
Bill T
Cynthia J
Mike
Denise
Stuart
Tyrone
Tom S
Sean
marge
Edward
Matthew
Blair
Mary C
Mike H
joequavis
Candy B
Jimpiano
Jim and Anita
Moi
Scott M
Jennifer
Fred F
William
Douglas
Michael and Ann
James C
Paul
Paul D
Domenic
Tony
Eric P
James D
Peter L
Robert DuPuy
Bill H
andrew B
Guy
Barbara H
Natalie
henry
Zane
Brian M (and again a big thanks)
Bill
Steve T
Tim M
Alan D
rad26
Joseph B

If I missed anyone or have you in here twice, please let me know.

Bob
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Toby

Post by Toby »

BrianMac wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:06 pm I think I have it, but I'm not feeling as strong a click as most seem to be. I got burned earlier this year and blew a 28-week streak by submitting too early, so I think I'll chew on it for a while longer.
I think you’ll be sure when you have it.
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

Oops. Getting acquainted with our new home. So I said in my Introduction that I was onshore. Wanted to make sure I was counted among the beach people!
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

[quote=Cindy post_id=219 time=1555168648 user_id=63]
A huge thank you to my friend Bill Katz who loaded my avatar. These are my exact thoughts when I am trying to explain my meta fascination to a non muggle.
[/I need Bill Katz. I am having trouble loading my avatar! Sigh.]
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Deb F wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:40 pm Oops. Getting acquainted with our new home. So I said in my Introduction that I was onshore. Wanted to make sure I was counted among the beach people!
Deb F wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:40 pm Oops. Getting acquainted with our new home. So I said in my Introduction that I was onshore. Wanted to make sure I was counted among the beach people!
You are now counted
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
bunella

Post by bunella »

[quote="Bob cruise director" post_id=222 time=1555169896 user_id=95]

i think you missed me. Bunny with the pretzels.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Toby wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:17 pm I think you’ll be sure when you have it.
Yes, I got this sense from what others were saying. Thankfully, I held off on submitting and with fresh eyes, I saw the correct solution. Though I think there is another somewhat-defensible answer.
Jeanrosz

Post by Jeanrosz »

I was visiting Isaac for a day but am now on shore at the tiki bar. Funny how things work...at first nothing and then..GOT IT!
Kris Zacharias

Post by Kris Zacharias »

Hi--I've been a lurker for quite a while and am glad to join in the conversation finally. I have just made it on shore.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

bunella wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:06 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:38 am Good morning for our Saturday report

i think you missed me. Bunny with the pretzels.
I realized that after I sent it out. You will be honored in tomorrow's report (which may be late as I have to do some electrical work for my son)

My humble apologies
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Vicki and Mike

Post by Vicki and Mike »

On shore as of late Friday. Now I just have to find something else to occupy the rest of the weekend!
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

I was still literally at sea, and when I wanted to check in, found that things have changed, but eventually discovered this new meeting place. Right now I am again literally and figuratively on shore.
Jacksull

Post by Jacksull »

[quote="Bob cruise director" post_id=222 time=1555169896 user_id=95]

Second is names. I have the list of names from the WSJ and screen names that we entered on this web site. Where possible I have associated the two sets of names but not always. For our status reports my intention is to use the WSJ name where possible and the blog name where I have either new muggles or have not been able to associate the names.

Third - I have been checking both sites to create one list of those on the ship or the shore.

Bob, I am Jacksull on this board, but was Jack Sullivan on the WSJ. You listed me as Jack
Jack Sullivan
KayW

Post by KayW »

First a big THANK YOU to Brian for setting up this forum. AND for fixing my password so quickly. I probably just set a world record for fastest hosing of a password :)

On shore with not even enough time to enjoy one meta-answer cocktail with Isaac. What a refreshing change for this year!

Wonderful construction as always. And a pleasure to see a reference to 20A Maude movie - it's one of my all-time favorites.

And another big THANK YOU to Cruise Director Bob. I don't know how you will keep your sanity this week with two forums to monitor. It's probably fairly obvious, but I was Kay Whitman on the WSJ and I did post there this week as well.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
lusophile

Post by lusophile »

You've been listing me as "Steven W" and I may be the only one helping Isaac refinishing.