"Crosswords Rock!" - April 12, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
BrianDavidson

Post by BrianDavidson »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:38 am If I missed anyone or have you in here twice, please let me know.

Bob
Hi Bob, you missed me on the second page. :cry:
Last edited by BrianDavidson on Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

wjchatto wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:24 pm Noticed The WSJ Blog of this week's puzzle contest is "closed" to commenting. Does that mean we no longer will have access to the statistics regarding the number of submissions and correct answers, etc.?
We all hope Mike will post it here. Cynthia J
Cynthia
john day

Post by john day »

I had the same problem mentioned by others. I am a subscriber but could not post on the WSJ site. I am new to solving the Friday crossword meta. I have been playing for a few mos. This is my first experience in making it ashore. I am at the tiki bar enjoying my cocktail. Cheers to all the Muggles.

John
Jacksull

Post by Jacksull »

Finished MGWCC at the Tiki Bar. I think Matt is still struggling with difficulty levels. Last week's was really an intro level meta and I thought this week was tough for a week 2.

On another note, closing the WSJ comments before the answer is published eliminates the post mortems on that site. I always liked to read about the rabbit holes, alternate answer defenses, complaints about "famous", etc. Hope they will show up here.
Last edited by Jacksull on Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Sullivan
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Not sure if I'm included, as there's another "Tom W." on site - no doubt younger, and certainly faster and wiser! - who has laid claim to that preferred moniker. I'm just happy to be in such good company, so call me whatever you please ... including (for this week, at least) "Ashore."
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

I am still learning the postings of the blog. I thought I had made our Sunday noon posting at about 4 pm but don't see it so here are all the muggles making it to shore after Saturday noon. (and yes, I missed several of you who were there Saturday noon - sorry)

Our totals are one on the ship and 104 on the shore.

Deb
Bunny
Kay
Jean
Ryan
Joseph L
Kris Zacharis
Patrick
Vicki and Mike
Ed S
Lucas
Frank
Kiera
Colin
Guy L
Sue J
Susan F
Freida aka Inca
Brian
OGuyDave
wjchatto
John D
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Tom Wilson wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:03 pm Not sure if I'm included, as there's another "Tom W." on site - no doubt younger, and certainly faster and wiser! - who has laid claim to that preferred moniker. I'm just happy to be in such good company, so call me whatever you please ... including (for this week, at least) "Ashore."
I have Tom Wilson as 31down who I thought was the Tom Wilson from our WSJ list

And I have Tom Wilson as Tom Wilson

Do we have two of you?
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
ALS

Post by ALS »

I meant to post that I was on shore, but I perhaps have had too many drinks at the tiki bar, since I am not sure that I ever actually posted.

ALS
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:06 pm I am still learning the postings of the blog. I thought I had made our Sunday noon posting at about 4 pm but don't see it so here are all the muggles making it to shore after Saturday noon.
I was starting to worry, since you said you were doing electrical work today. ⚡️😉 (Surely there’s a smiley with its hair all sticking up somewhere, but I can’t find it.)
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Bob cruise director wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:55 pm Hello - for my sanity (what little there is), if your screen name is not obvious, could you either send it to me off line or somehow help me associate it is with the list I have from the WSJ.

Hi Bob, I posted on "Introduce yourself" that I am Lisa but neglected to mention that my last name is Young. You always listed me as Lisa Y. Have continued doing the puzzles with little meta success, but have not had time to post very much for several weeks. Just had to come here after seeing the notice about only subscribers being able to post going forward. Many thanks to Brian for setting this up and to you for continuing as cruise director. I could have signed on to my husbands subscription to post, but the subscription is through his employment as a university professor and I just don't like the idea of my posting personally on his account. Also, I wanted to stay in touch with all my old friends, subscribers or not. I may continue to be absent for the next eight weeks until an all-consuming project comes to fruition, but will continue to do the puzzles and come here to see what others have to say even when I don't have time to post.
Thanks
RNCJr

Post by RNCJr »

@Bob cruise director:

This is Robert Carhart, hereafter RNCJr. Not sure if I'm ashore or not this week; I submitted my answer, but am not convinced I've gotten it right. I saw one particular pattern in ~4 answers, but did not discern much beyond that, so I've swagged it this week. It's weird: I solve cryptic puzzles (including those with additional metas rather readily (in most/not all cases), but many of these not-week-one crosswords bedevil me (not usually the grids, just the metas). Go figure.
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

Finally, I am on shore. And just in the nick of time. Though I am not at all sure I am navigating this new site properly. In any event, thanks Robert and everyone for creating this place.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Just took a look and got it, under the wire. I’m swimming in the direction of the bonfire. Last round is on me, if I don’t cramp in the cold water. Or even if I do.
sheilaco

Post by sheilaco »

The contest answer is OLD-FASHIONED. The clue for 62-Down suggests looking for rocks, and there are four instances of commonly-seen-in-crosswords ORE in the theme entries. The letters directly over these spell the contest answer.
Barry

Post by Barry »

I didn’t include a hyphen. Will mine fly? I’m in desperate need of a mug. Been drinking out of a cupped hand.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Barry wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:54 am I didn’t include a hyphen. Will mine fly? I’m in desperate need of a mug. Been drinking out of a cupped hand.
I hope so because I did not include one either.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

sheilaco wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:13 am The contest answer is OLD-FASHIONED. The clue for 62-Down suggests looking for rocks, and there are four instances of commonly-seen-in-crosswords ORE in the theme entries. The letters directly over these spell the contest answer.
Does anyone drink these anymore? The only reason that I had heard of Old Fashioned is that my parents drank them in the 50's
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
a3jay

Post by a3jay »

My wife and I (in our late 40s) enjoy old fashioneds with some frequency. I, of course, made some to celebrate solving the meta. I think they've made a comeback with the current resurgence of bourbon.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

I was hung up for a day on "SingapORE Sling."

The only other cocktail I could find with ORE in the name is a "Four Score" which, unlike the Singapore Sling, is not served on the rocks. So I thought the "on the rocks" clue was to differentiate these two. Also, I thought that SCORE was in the grid as a theme answer to help eliminate the Four Score.

But that answer did not feel like it was up to Matt's standards, and did not comport with what others were saying about the grid construction and their AHA moments, so luckily I kept looking until I saw the better answer.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

I decided on a whim to try an Old Fashioned a few years ago after seeing Don Draper make one on Mad Men. It's a "twice a year" treat for me now on a summer day.