"We're Back in Business" - July 16, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Richard

Post by Richard »

On shore. Needed a nudge.

My hat is off to Matt. Amazing construction.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

OK, here's my final accounting for the weekend. It has been a pleasure filling in for our esteemed Cruise Director!
Saying "adios!" to Isaac are auee89, Emily W (who attributes her solve to Guinness; who can blame her?), Silvia B, and Hunkra. Reaching the shore in various states of bedragglement are Sreh26, Magistra, Preterosso, The Catt, Escape Artist, Mark Woychick ("the mechanism was revealed to me"), Beth C, RegFish7, R Twitchell (who says he solved while mowing the lawn and gave a fist pump), Burak, ADS, M Bryant, Dplass, Prozach, PJM, and Richard. Cruise Director Bob is also on the shore, arriving from parts unknown.
Joining Isaac's still crowded bar are JAQT, Seahawks Seashanty, Hidden in 3D, Danny Walter (happy 22nd anniversary!), and otlaolap.
In closing, I think we can all celebrate the fact that there were no Muggle drownings attributed to this especially tricky offering. Will the odds for winning the Mug be better than usual this week?
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
ReB

Post by ReB »

Either I've reached shore or (to mix metaphors) I've once again fumbled the ball on the two-yard line. Ingenious is an apt descriptor.
Kris Zacharias

Post by Kris Zacharias »

On shore, I think.
mikeB

Post by mikeB »

Ashore, and what an interesting meta this is. After nine months, I continue to underestimate the variations these meta mechanisms can take on. I look forward to understanding how these constructors do this, and I always will.
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

Ahhhhh, finally figured it out! Ashore just in time for happy hour.

I was going about it just a bit wrong, and finally wiggled the key in the lock and the door opened. Agree that this is an amazingly clever puzzle construction.

Good luck all.
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Kudos to this weekend’s Acting Deputy Cruise Director! 👏🏻

Outstanding job, Wendy! But no surprise there!
Last edited by SReh26 on Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

Wendy Walker wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:17 pm OK, here's my final accounting for the weekend. It has been a pleasure filling in for our esteemed Cruise Director!
Saying "adios!" to Isaac are auee89, Emily W (who attributes her solve to Guinness; who can blame her?), Silvia B, and Hunkra. Reaching the shore in various states of bedragglement are Sreh26, Magistra, Preterosso, The Catt, Escape Artist, Mark Woychick ("the mechanism was revealed to me"), Beth C, RegFish7, R Twitchell (who says he solved while mowing the lawn and gave a fist pump), Burak, ADS, M Bryant, Dplass, Prozach, PJM, and Richard. Cruise Director Bob is also on the shore, arriving from parts unknown.
Joining Isaac's still crowded bar are JAQT, Seahawks Seashanty, Hidden in 3D, Danny Walter (happy 22nd anniversary!), and otlaolap.
In closing, I think we can all celebrate the fact that there were no Muggle drownings attributed to this especially tricky offering. Will the odds for winning the Mug be better than usual this week?
Excellent job this weekend Wendy!
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
Inca

Post by Inca »

Too late for the final count....but ashore nevertheless. And yes, this time I'm sure.
KayW

Post by KayW »

SReh26 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:14 pm Kudos to this weekend’s Acting Deputy Cruise Director! 👏🏻

Outstanding job, Wendy! But no surprise there!
Hear, hear! Three cheers for very smooth sailing with @Wendy Walker :beers: :cocktail: :tropical_drink: :raised_hands:
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
pookie

Post by pookie »

Stuck, stuck, stuck.
Not this week, sigh
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

I missed the final accounting but believe myself to be on shore. I needed some encouragement to follow my instincts but the answer became clear. I am glad I did not send in my Hail Mary which I spent too much time trying to back solve for.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

One last thing, Muggle friends. As if further proof were needed that we have folks in this group with INCREDIBLE amounts of talent, check out this MMM reveal video created by Peter Abide and Kay W. I am BLOWN AWAY. viewtopic.php?f=42&p=61647#p61647 (The MMM puzzle was pretty good, too!)
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Flying_Burrito

Post by Flying_Burrito »

The answer on 29 across describes my performance on this puzzle. I am on 2nd base, I am one skootch away from solving it, but now it's pens down. Just like the Atlanta Braves I can't seem to get to .500 this year and I will eagerly check out the answer tomorrow
Senor Guaca Mole :mrgreen:
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

Onshore due to help from Wendy. What a great construction. I won't submit but I am very happy that I got the mechanism among the many rabbit holes I ventured down. I just didn't follow it through correctly. Thanks again Wendy. I really appreciate the hysterical posts and amazing support from this forum. Happy Sunday everyone. I actually did go sailing in the Long Island Sound today and we had a much easier time getting to shore there than I did with the puzzle.
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

Looking forward to midnight. Especially enjoy reading of others' rabbit holes. Would also enjoy learning of precise "nudges", especially if accompanied by the "what's been tried". :-)
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Flying_Burrito wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:20 pm The answer on 29 across describes my performance on this puzzle. I am on 2nd base, I am one skootch away from solving it, but now it's pens down. Just like the Atlanta Braves I can't seem to get to .500 this year and I will eagerly check out the answer tomorrow
omg we should call mild or subtle nudges skootches!
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Isaac has a lively game of BINGO going with those of us still on the ship. He's been calling out the various red Herrings and rabbit holes possible. I have several BINGOS already and am well on my way to a cover-all.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Grandkids all weekend,
Just picked up the puzzle now,
On shore - or am I?
One world. One planet. One future.
Collegetowngirl

Post by Collegetowngirl »

On shore!!! I was much over complicating it. First time on shore in over a month. Whew.