"We're Back in Business" - July 16, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Miki

Post by Miki »

I like how different the solve is this week from past MG CWs. It's a 100%er.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I’m onshore after being delayed by a very red herring and mistake in my notes.
Inca

Post by Inca »

femullen wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:04 pm Some say, "Too easy!" Others say, "Amazing construction." In my experience, these statements are incompatible. Are the Easy Riders showing off, or are they just lucky?

Sitting next to MamaE at Isaac's Place.
When someone solves in a few minutes, you cannot expect them to say it was "hard." Obviously, it wasn't too hard for them. I think a better way to judge is by how many pages the forum hits by Thursday night. Four pages by 10:15 Eastern time, is not indicative a very easy meta. It's probably not super-hard, but definitely not super obvious either.

Having said that, I'm about to hang up my meta-wizard-hat (not that I was ever a wizard at the meta, but just added that in keeping with the Harry Potter theme). I used to be really good at solving these and loved to labor over them until that AHA moment came to me. But I've been noticing lately that if the path does not strike me as I am doing the grid or shortly thereafter, I tend to give up on it within myself and even if I keep staring at it, I'm not really getting anywhere.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Inca wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:19 pm
femullen wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:04 pm Some say, "Too easy!" Others say, "Amazing construction." In my experience, these statements are incompatible. Are the Easy Riders showing off, or are they just lucky?

When someone solves in a few minutes, you cannot expect them to say it was "hard." Obviously, it wasn't too hard for them. I think a better way to judge is by how many pages the forum hits by Thursday night. Four pages by 10:15 Eastern time, is not indicative a very easy meta. It's probably not super-hard, but definitely not super obvious either.

Having said that, I'm about to hang up my meta-wizard-hat (not that I was ever a wizard at the meta, but just added that in keeping with the Harry Potter theme). I used to be really good at solving these and loved to labor over them until that AHA moment came to me. But I've been noticing lately that if the path does not strike me as I am doing the grid or shortly thereafter, I tend to give up on it within myself and even if I keep staring at it, I'm not really getting anywhere.
I have thought the same thing in the past, but I have found if I put it aside and look the next day I find new paths to pursue. It’s up to you how much time you want to put into it.
Heidi
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

hcbirker wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:34 pm
Inca wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:19 pm

I have thought the same thing in the past, but I have found if I put it aside and look the next day I find new paths to pursue. It’s up to you how much time you want to put into it.
I've thought the same thing too. However, I never ever ever have found the solution after putting it down. If I don't get it after staring at it for 30 minutes on Thursday I'm never going to get it without a nudge
chad8484

Post by chad8484 »

I don't know how y'all figure these things out! Still swimming aimlessly for my first meta solve...
Last edited by chad8484 on Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Well, I've had my Guinness, even though I didn't earn it. Making Irish-themed small plates for supper tomorrow night. Made a cheddar-Guinness cheese dip earlier today. Only used 1/4 cup Guinness, so I had to drink the rest. Didn't realize that the cupcake recipe also called for Guinness, so I had to open another one. Oh well. Maybe it will inspire to get cracking on the meta.

Also--loving all the grandbaby pictures! And pictures soon to come, it sounds like.
SilviaV

Post by SilviaV »

On the boat.
MileHighSolver

Post by MileHighSolver »

After giving up on last week's 'easy' puzzle on Saturday and attending All Star Game festivities Sunday through Tuesday, I gave this puzzle the time it deserved and what do you know - I solved one on a Thursday for the first time in a few weeks! Guess I needed some time at the ballpark to clear my head. I'll take a hot dog, peanuts, nachos, and 24 oz. Coors Lights - might as well do it two weeks in a row!
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

On shore.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Inca wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:19 pm Having said that, I'm about to hang up my meta-wizard-hat (not that I was ever a wizard at the meta, but just added that in keeping with the Harry Potter theme). I used to be really good at solving these and loved to labor over them until that AHA moment came to me. But I've been noticing lately that if the path does not strike me as I am doing the grid or shortly thereafter, I tend to give up on it within myself and even if I keep staring at it, I'm not really getting anywhere.
I hear you. If I don't at least get to Step 1 within a certain period of time, it's probably not gonna happen. But if I can get a toehold, more often than not I'll eventually get it. This is a big reason, I think, why I solve more WSJs than MGWCCs (well, that and week 3 and 4 MGWCCs are a bit harder...), because if I don't get a MGWCC Friday during lunch or right after work, the weekend intrudes and I probably won't pick it up again for any more than a couple minutes at a time.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

chad8484 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:58 pm I don't know how y'all figure these things out! Still swimming aimlessly for my first meta solve...
This is not an easy one. Open your mind to the possibilities.
Heidi
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

sharkicicles wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:48 pm
Inca wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:19 pm Having said that, I'm about to hang up my meta-wizard-hat (not that I was ever a wizard at the meta, but just added that in keeping with the Harry Potter theme). I used to be really good at solving these and loved to labor over them until that AHA moment came to me. But I've been noticing lately that if the path does not strike me as I am doing the grid or shortly thereafter, I tend to give up on it within myself and even if I keep staring at it, I'm not really getting anywhere.
I hear you. If I don't at least get to Step 1 within a certain period of time, it's probably not gonna happen. But if I can get a toehold, more often than not I'll eventually get it. This is a big reason, I think, why I solve more WSJs than MGWCCs (well, that and week 3 and 4 MGWCCs are a bit harder...), because if I don't get a MGWCC Friday during lunch or right after work, the weekend intrudes and I probably won't pick it up again for any more than a couple minutes at a time.
I rarely get to spend more than a few minutes at a time on these with a new grandson and straightening my sock drawer and all, but I often look and get nothing over and over, and then, for whatever reason, it just comes to me to try something different. Once I get on a track, it's hard for me to get off of it, even when I've proven that it's the wrong track. Definition of insanity . . . . Last week, I actually said to myself, "what could the title mean?" And that was what cracked it. (Like I shouldn't be doing that every time?)
meowmiao71

Post by meowmiao71 »

Ashore. Absolutely incredible construction! I fell down a rabbit hole and am curious if that's the same one others mentioned, but I'm 100% confident on the solve.

ETA: typo
Last edited by meowmiao71 on Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mheverson

Post by mheverson »

Late start tonight but ashore quickly.
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Ashore!
b4alltime

Post by b4alltime »

Late start but on terra semi- ferma. Time for some zzzzs.
Jim
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

On shore!
woozy

Post by woozy »

"Luckily I was able to recover after I fell in what was probably the same rabbit hole that a few others have mentioned - ouch!"

But I *needed* to fall in the rabbit hole to find the solution. I'm impressed as the rabbit hole seemed to have been created deliberately to fall into and... dang it that I *needed* to fall in it.

Amazingly constructed!
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Ashore.

Not easy, but it has a very clear & defined, 100% answer. When I found the mechanism to solve, I thought that I could have found it sooner. To me, that's the nature of a well-crafted puzzle.

Also, I think that muggles who post "everyone says it's easy" are usually mistaken & are inferring. One solver said, No! Too easy!!!! Not many others asked if the answer was "that easy," with a subset wisely saying they were going to look further before submitting. The very few posters who mentioned the word "easy" are cautioned to be sure that they see the explicit, no doubt mechanism.

In no way is it true that "everyone says it's easy."

Find the mechanism. Find the answer.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!