"We're Back in Business" - July 16, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

auee89 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:37 pm Not submitting, so I guess I brought Isaac with me to the beach?
Isaac went with you to the beach! How am I going to get my Bloody Mary as I stumble cluelessly around the ship!
auee89

Post by auee89 »

LadyBird wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:36 am
auee89 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:37 pm Not submitting, so I guess I brought Isaac with me to the beach?
Isaac went with you to the beach! How am I going to get my Bloody Mary as I stumble cluelessly around the ship!
He's on the next launch to the boat. Hang on!
Kevin
Beth C

Post by Beth C »

Got the grid easily enough, but as yet I've no clue on the meta. Can't even find a rabbit hole....

Update: Ashore, finally! I'll celebrate with some Willett rye tonight..
Last edited by Beth C on Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
regfish7

Post by regfish7 »

Ashore! Struggled with the grid. Didn’t get around to looking at the meta until this morning. But I’m happy to say I got it right away! No rabbit trails or nudges needed! Celebrating the small victory 😊 I’m sure I’ll be keeping Issac company again next week though 😂 but mom and I will be together so maybe not!
hunkra

Post by hunkra »

Dodged a couple sharks on my way, but am safely ashore. Went back to an original idea and had the wherewithal to stick the landing this time (Simone Biles is my spirit animal :) Please send the Cabana Boy my way with a frosty Radler!
Channeling Molly Weasley on a good day.
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

I've been looking at this one off and on since Thursday and still have nothin'...think it's time to throw in the towel...
Sara
SingleMalt

Post by SingleMalt »

Ashore!

I found the door to the dungeon almost immediately but have been stumbling around mightily for a couple of days now. I'll be interested if anyone else shares the one small quibble I have with this amazing puzzle.

Page 1 Crowd eat your heart out. Page 13 only serves doubles. Make mine a Port Charlotte Single Malt as soon as it's late enough to avoid a charge of "Day Drinking".

Have a great week everyone!
burak

Post by burak »

I had a sense of what the mechanism would be while solving, but upon completion I was still mightily impressed with it.
ADS

Post by ADS »

I’m ashore. I was so-so about this puzzle. Not so easy to find the right path, but got there eventually. Once the Jewish fast day is over this evening, I will take a bunch of drinks, though I’ll probably keep them non-alcoholic.
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

While folding laundry and cleaning bathrooms this afternoon I listened to the podcast linked below. It struck me as meta-ish for a couple of reasons: a) it involves a big puzzle and b) for some reason my son always posits the answer MASQUERADE to any metas I don’t solve. I’ve never understood why, and maybe it’s just a coincidence and he just likes the word. I am surprised I had never heard of the children’s book or the treasure hunt before, as my grandmother and I enjoyed similar fun together when I was young.

https://thisiscriminal.com/episode-169- ... e-7-16-21/
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Whoever gets the mug this week should post a video of We are the Champions. 😃 Anyone remember that song?
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

SusieG wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:55 pm While folding laundry and cleaning bathrooms this afternoon I listened to the podcast linked below. It struck me as meta-ish for a couple of reasons: a) it involves a big puzzle and b) for some reason my son always posits the answer MASQUERADE to any metas I don’t solve. I’ve never understood why, and maybe it’s just a coincidence and he just likes the word. I am surprised I had never heard of the children’s book or the treasure hunt before, as my grandmother and I enjoyed similar fun together when I was young.

https://thisiscriminal.com/episode-169- ... e-7-16-21/
Now that you mention it, I remember that book. Can't remember whether I "read" it when it came out, or whether I discovered it as something to go through with my kids when they were growing up. Your comment got me to look up whether anyone ever found the golden hare.
mbryant

Post by mbryant »

On shore. On a long drive back from Montana and figured it out while my wife was driving. In North Dakota today. Milwaukee tomorrow. Hope the Bucks win Tuesday!
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

SReh26 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:16 pm Whoever gets the mug this week should post a video of We are the Champions. 😃 Anyone remember that song?
Anyone who goes to sports games, especially high school ones, probably is quite familiar with that Queen song. It's got to be one of the most widely recognized songs from the 70's due to it's current use.
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

really, still? glad to hear!
DannyWalter

Post by DannyWalter »

Uncle! Heading to dinner to celebrate 22 years of marital bliss, so giving up. Congrats to all who solved this one. Next week. For surely.
otlaolap

Post by otlaolap »

Absolutely no clue and no hope of finding one. Was lately, like Icarus, doing so well. Now plunging into brine.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Got a huge hint, but still don't get it.

Update: my helper confirmed my answer. Thanks helper. Next round at the sand bar is on me.
Prozach

Post by Prozach »

On Shore.
PJM

Post by PJM »

Safely ashore after making this harder than it needed to be.

Enjoying a nice Bordeaux in honor on the Tour de France. Cheers all!