"Under the Table" - July 9, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Joepickett

Post by Joepickett »

Nope. No idea on this one. I've had brain fog all week so I've got that going for me
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

For those wondering what has become of me - this may sound like the dog ate my homework, but my grid got erased on my smartphone half way through so I‘ll pick it up tomorrow on the laptop.

I used to be very smug because I’d been spared that so far.

But it can happen to you.... 🎼🎹

And chin up, everyone! You’re not stupid just because you didn’t solve it by Thursday. :roll:
Last edited by SReh26 on Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

DrTom wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:47 pm I’ve said it before, I'll say it again... I hate the puzzles everyone calls "easy" because those never are for me. I must look at these oddly because the more obtuse I often see relatively quickly.

So, on the ship and waiting for a drink.

T
Thank you! Now I do not feel so alone. I need to start solving before reading the posts.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
Cuse

Post by Cuse »

On the shore, Manhatten in hand with an extra maraschino.
NDStegs

Post by NDStegs »

Ashore.
Last edited by NDStegs on Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
edot

Post by edot »

Ashore!
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

lbray53 wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:17 pm
DrTom wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:47 pm I’ve said it before, I'll say it again... I hate the puzzles everyone calls "easy" because those never are for me. I must look at these oddly because the more obtuse I often see relatively quickly.

So, on the ship and waiting for a drink.

T
Thank you! Now I do not feel so alone. I need to start solving before reading the posts.
I hate the “That was easy!” posts!
Everyone keys into different triggers.
Konnie
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

Ashore. 🏖🍹
-Tamara
Franklin.Bluth

Post by Franklin.Bluth »

Made it to shore. I'd call this a 3 in difficulty — the initial "aha!" requires some lateral thinking, but it's pretty straightforward once you get past that.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

SReh26 wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:22 pm
Laura M wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:11 pm On shore! Late because I went into my actual workplace for a meeting.
ugh! what was that like?? Scary?
Oh, it was fine! I mean it was annoying because it was a meeting, and I had to wear outside-the-house clothes and drive to get there, both things that I've rarely done for 16 months. And I couldn't work on the crossword during the meeting :-) It does feel weird to be around people, but I'm willing to work on that.

I have no doubt that Covid-19 and its variants will continue to be a (hopefully minor) threat for years, maybe forever, but we're in a much better place than we were a year ago. We have vaccines! And the processes are in place so that vaccine development/testing/manufacturing/distribution might not be so huge a task when we need more. Vaccines aren't perfect, and there are variants, but breakthrough cases are likely to be less serious. If you do get sick, a lot more is known now about how to treat this virus. We have more PPE now for health workers, and even enough medical-grade masks for regular people to keep a stash. (I'm not a prepper but yeah, I have a couple dozen KN95s.) I'm very ready to stop treating it like the bubonic plague and start treating it more like the flu.

(Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor or a microbiologist or an infectious diseases scientist, so I have no idea what I'm talking about. Also, since children younger than 12 can't be vaccinated yet, I admit that my logic is flawed there. I'm hoping that this will change soon. Basically I'm looking for reasons to have hope!)

I think that there are a lot of good things that came out of this past year that I hope stick around:
  • Improved technology for working from home, where possible, and we've been forced to get used to it. I mostly hated it at the start, but now I'm hoping to keep working from home three days a week.
  • Improved technology for, and availability of remote events. I love being able to meet up with far-flung family on a regular basis, attend an east-coast friend's kid's piano recital, participate in a crossword tournament, all from my chair in the living room.
  • More common and efficient pickup/delivery services. Sometimes it's nice to get a nice restaurant meal without having to get dressed up and go to a restaurant! And I may never do my weekly shopping in person at the grocery store again.
  • Normalized mask wearing. I'm still going to wear a mask (probably two) on planes, or anywhere if I have any illness or am worried about getting one. We all had to wear our T-shirt masks in order for them to be effective, but with high-quality masks people can choose their own level of safety.
  • This place! And other online groups that give the feeling of a gathering of friends.
(There are also a lot of not-good things that came out of the past year, but I'd prefer not to dwell on those.)

Anyway, here's hoping for more normal things, even (ugh) in-person meetings!
Joe

Post by Joe »

I'm still on the ship. At least there are lots of great folks here at the bar with me. I got nothing. But I'm hopeful.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

Safely on shore... I would say to the people struggling to not worry much; you'll go from 0 to 100% in a blink on this one.

Took me awhile as I had the proper idea but hadn't molded it properly into shape until just now.
hoover

Post by hoover »

Laura M wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:07 pm
SReh26 wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:22 pm
Laura M wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:11 pm On shore! Late because I went into my actual workplace for a meeting.
ugh! what was that like?? Scary?
Oh, it was fine! I mean it was annoying because it was a meeting, and I had to wear outside-the-house clothes
And shoes!
M and M

Post by M and M »

Fun and clever. We are on the beach.
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

On Shore! Yay - now I can devote the entire weekend to pet-sitting. Our daughter and SIL have two great boxers (one of whom is all PUPPY!) and an awesome cat. I'll try to get a group photo of the three if they will ever hold still at the same time...
Sara
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

How wonderful to live in a world where puzzles like this are possible and to have clever constructors create them for us to solve!

I’m ready for a drink with a little paper umbrella and some of the chopped up fruit from Meg’s cabana boy.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Got a late start due to travel, but a quick swim to shore. Tequila sunrise is my drink du jour
meowmiao71

Post by meowmiao71 »

I don't know how fast I would have gotten this on my own, because my partner's super-smart nephews are visiting us and they looked over my shoulder and said "Oh, so (meta redacted)?"

So, solved...I guess!
Dannyvee

Post by Dannyvee »

Ashore!
I can be found in Sheridan, NY, veejaying. (8)
grwinski

Post by grwinski »

Ashore!

Another fun construction by Mike!

We think the cheesecake for dessert helped!

Rita and George