"Under the Table" - July 9, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

I’ve said it before, I'll say it again... I hate the puzzles everyone calls "easy" because those never are for me. I must look at these oddly because the more obtuse I often see relatively quickly.

So, on the ship and waiting for a drink.

T
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
TMart

Post by TMart »

On shore. I’ll take one of those Guinnesses.
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

DrTom wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:47 pm I’ve said it before, I'll say it again... I hate the puzzles everyone calls "easy" because those never are for me. I must look at these oddly because the more obtuse I often see relatively quickly.

T
I’m with you! I see nothing and feel a little foolish while everyone else is onshore.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Ashore and hoping Elsa doesn't make it hard to distinguish shore from not-shore.
I finally remembered to do what I usually forget to do.
Jay
ajk

Post by ajk »

DrTom wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:47 pm I’ve said it before, I'll say it again... I hate the puzzles everyone calls "easy" because those never are for me.
SusieG wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:54 pm I’m with you! I see nothing and feel a little foolish while everyone else is onshore.
FWIW I wouldn't call this one super easy. The path is short, but the trailhead may well be initially obscured.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
boharr

Post by boharr »

On shore.
TeaJenny

Post by TeaJenny »

Ashore! Nice to be done on Thursday for a change. 8-)
You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

SusieG wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:54 pm
DrTom wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:47 pm I’ve said it before, I'll say it again... I hate the puzzles everyone calls "easy" because those never are for me. I must look at these oddly because the more obtuse I often see relatively quickly.

T
I’m with you! I see nothing and feel a little foolish while everyone else is onshore.
I'm right there with the both of you! Any critical thinking skills that I might occasionally possess are being drowned out by a song I sang in a high school musical (title: 'Cos I'm a [64A] Nana).

EDIT: and just like that! Post-enlightenment! PHEW. I will take pity on my Muggle colleagues and NOT perform the aforementioned song on our Tuesday Zoom call.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

SusieG wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:54 pm

T
Me too. From the prior puzzles that look similar, I have a good idea of what the mechanism should be. I think I may have the first step, but I can't get to a solution.
hoover

Post by hoover »

I'm sitting here with @DrTom, @SusieG , and @Eric Porter wondering where the drinks are.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Wendy Walker wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:35 pm Any critical thinking skills that I might occasionally possess are being drowned out by a song I sang in a high school musical (title: 'Cos I'm a [64A] Nana).
Generational differences. The song I thought of was the one that goes, "If you wanna be a top banana. . . ." (People often said that my father looked like Phil Silvers.)
Jay
woozy

Post by woozy »

DrTom wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:47 pm I’ve said it before, I'll say it again... I hate the puzzles everyone calls "easy" because those never are for me.

This one was not easy! At least not for me. But no amount of *work* will get it either....
Latest meta: Never forget... and never mind (A WSJ retaliation)
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

On shore! Late because I went into my actual workplace for a meeting.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Weirdly I’m in my forties and I’ve never heard of the musical, but I used to watch Sgt Bilko with my grandpa.
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Laura M wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:11 pm On shore! Late because I went into my actual workplace for a meeting.
ugh! what was that like?? Scary?
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

On shore ! 🏖.

I agree with Woozy, you don’t see anything until you see it!
Good one! Right up my alley!
Magistra

Post by Magistra »

Onshore! Took a while to see, but no bunnies running across my path this week.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:37 pm Ashore!

Literally. On Sleeping Bear Bay, in northern Michigan.
I assume that's wear the Sleeping Bear Dunes are? When my son was at U Mich we spent a weekend up there. He fooled me into going ALL THE WAY to the bottom of the dunes at the overlook. (The really, really steep one with the warning sign, below.) So I showed him by challenging him to race all the way back up. I won. Easily. In my mid 50's. Against a 21 year old.

Dune Sign.jpg

Took me about 20 minutes but I must have lost about 5 pounds of water weight. And that was after he took me to the main dunes where you hike for a couple of miles (?) to the lake. He kept saying, "It's just over that hill..." For each and every hill.... :evil:
dudeski

Post by dudeski »

Ashore
802puzzler

Post by 802puzzler »

Ashore! I think an amaretto would be a nice reward! 🥃 Cheers!