"Please Find Enclosed" - July 2, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
sphorning

Post by sphorning »

Finally on shore thanks to a huge assist from SReh26. This is one of those KAS 3-4 for me since my brain doesn't think out of the box for that middle step of the meta. I get the first and last steps just fine. My brain never would have thought to do step 2. Happy 4th to all you Muggles!
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

SusieG wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:47 am
HunterX wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:28 pm Ashore.

And back from the 6-day Grand Canyon river trip, which was awesome. Did last week's puzzle after my return without looking at any comments, and solved within 24 hours, so my streak continues. Daughter did the puzzle with their partner, so they also count as continuing the team's streak. And here is just one of my more than 700 photos, because I just can't resist...
@HunterX , I want to hear more about the trip. Was it rafting?
Indeed it was! We set off from Lee's Ferry in Marble Canyon, the only boat launch into the Canyon. Went down on a J-Rig operated by Western River Expeditions. (They own the patent on the J-rig.) We had 29 passengers and 4 Western River guides on 2 rafts. All 29 of us were friends of one couple who arranged the group to buy out the trip. Went 188 miles down the river before being helicoptered out 6 days later. Got to places you can only see/get to by river. Slept under the stars on cots. (The tents were too hot give the 100+ degree daytime temperatures.) LOTS of rapids (and falls!) to run, and various hikes to Anasazi sites or up canyons with waterfalls. Trip of a lifetime!

Grand Canyon 2.JPG
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

sphorning wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:37 pm Finally on shore thanks to a huge assist from SReh26. This is one of those KAS 3-4 for me since my brain doesn't think out of the box for that middle step of the meta. I get the first and last steps just fine. My brain never would have thought to do step 2. Happy 4th to all you Muggles!
and SReh got it from boharr...

happy 4th!
Hamrock

Post by Hamrock »

Hurray! Got a late start on puzzle but thankfully it came easy! Enjoying the beach!
Julie
Big Mac

Post by Big Mac »

On shore. Took longer than it should have, probably.

Happy Independence Day y'all!
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

On shore since early yesterday afternoon, one of my favorites ever.

T
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

DrTom wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:26 pm WELL, finally ashore but not submitting - I was so close for several days. I had all the parts, I had the basic idea, just the wrong formula. I thought I had tried everything but it took a nudge to show me I had not. Funny how when you do things the right way they work.....

Times like this I am not a Muggle I'm a struggle....

Oh, and this one is for LadyBird - I laughed for about 5 minutes after seeing this:

Boom Chacalaca.jpg
If I ever see this bird in real life, I will immediately think of you, Dr Tom! What a chuckle!
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

Could almost hear Matt going "OK, you whiny wimp, here's one your speed". Finished it after tennis Friday morning. The little wifey started it on the beach Friday afternoon and got it all within an hour or so. (First time for both of us).

Thought I'd made it right off the bat, and was gonna have to raise a stink about 1/5 of it, but the forum reminded me that I had ignored the parenthetical numerals. :-(

Progress, I suppose.
Mulligan

Post by Mulligan »

Ashore! I was afraid the dreaded numbers in parenthesis would keep me out at sea (as they have been known to do in the past), but I was pleasantly surprises to crack this one right before bed!
Jeanrosz

Post by Jeanrosz »

Finally ashore! Duh!
ricky

Post by ricky »

Two stars??

I am not asking for a nudge YET but I can't figure out what to do with half the numbers. I am also highly distracted by an answer that's what the answer would be if I'd constructed it. I don't have support for it from the actual puzzle yet, though.
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST
TheCatt

Post by TheCatt »

Dplass wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:28 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:55 pm
ChrisKochmanski wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:55 pm

Bob, you were a fabulous host for the Zoom Q&A with Matt G. this week. Are they giving you a shot at the Jeopardy gig?
I would but Aaron Rogers seems to have an inside track on that gig.

Thanks
Ugh I hope not. He (Aaron Rogers, NOT Bob!) was so boring.
I liked aspects of his time on Jeopardy, but his voice was just so sleepy.
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Finally on shore. Happy 4th!! 🇺🇲
Cindy Heisler
jmorgie7

Post by jmorgie7 »

A plea for better editing ... 7 down: this is perpetuating wrong definitions: The Roman calendar had an 8 day week and 30 day months. the middle of the month was the NONES on the 14th anf the IDES on the 15th. Teaching that the 13th is misinformation/disinformation/fake. at some point crosswords help educate about words we might not run into in the normal course of events -- they need to use the proper definitions.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Also, oboes are not NEARLY as common in real life as they are in crosswords.
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

ReB wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:47 pm Some weeks you're homed in on the right wavelength from the beginning, and some weeks you can't see what's right in front of your face. Fortunately this week was the former case.
Unfortunately for me, this week is the latter case. Totally LOST AT SEA and I have no more time to devote to this one. Yardwork (especially deadheading) awaits!!
Sara
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good morning. An early report so we can get back to another Settlers of Catan game (shades of November 10, 2017). Rainy and cold weekend in Southern Maine which is unfortunate for all the businesses.

Slow progress to the shore and the ship. We have 11 on the ship and 163 on the shore.

New to the ship's bar are
rosiegirl
Hidden in 3D
ricky

And making their way to the shore

MajorDomoTom
sphorning
ReB
zacmoretz and Aurt Norma
wb93
Big Mac
Kris Zacharias
Crest
BeTheLight
Jean
Mulligan
cinny
mntlblok

To all our muggles in the path of the hurricane - stay safe.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

jmorgie7 wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:49 am A plea for better editing ... 7 down: this is perpetuating wrong definitions: The Roman calendar had an 8 day week and 30 day months. the middle of the month was the NONES on the 14th anf the IDES on the 15th. Teaching that the 13th is misinformation/disinformation/fake. at some point crosswords help educate about words we might not run into in the normal course of events -- they need to use the proper definitions.

Perhaps it depends which Roman calendar you refer to (there were multiple reforms) but at least if you consider the Julian calendar the ides indeed fell most commonly on the thirteenth. In my opinion it was really quite rude of Caesar to be killed on one of the exceptions.

https://penelope.uchicago.edu/~grout/en ... endar.html
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
Flying_Burrito

Post by Flying_Burrito »

Good timing for an easy one with family in town. On shore and Prosecco is going to be my drink of choice this morning (but it is the 4th after all so I am saving some brain cells for a good Long Island Iced Tea later on).
Senor Guaca Mole :mrgreen:
Flying_Burrito

Post by Flying_Burrito »

madhatter5 wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:31 am
jmorgie7 wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:49 am A plea for better editing ... 7 down: this is perpetuating wrong definitions: The Roman calendar had an 8 day week and 30 day months. the middle of the month was the NONES on the 14th anf the IDES on the 15th. Teaching that the 13th is misinformation/disinformation/fake. at some point crosswords help educate about words we might not run into in the normal course of events -- they need to use the proper definitions.

Perhaps it depends which Roman calendar you refer to (there were multiple reforms) but at least if you consider the Julian calendar the ides indeed fell most commonly on the thirteenth. In my opinion it was really quite rude of Caesar to be killed on one of the exceptions.

https://penelope.uchicago.edu/~grout/en ... endar.html

Madhatter is right. The ides fell on the 15th only in March, May, July and October, and on the 13th day on the remaining 8 months (according to when the full moon was expected.) The Nones did not fall in the middle of the month but rather on the 5th or 7thday of the month, according to when the first quarter of the moon was expected to occur. 8 years of Latin finally at work.
Senor Guaca Mole :mrgreen: