"Please Find Enclosed" - July 2, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Geezer Weezer

Post by Geezer Weezer »

Ashore.
I am a man of few...
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

Got distracted and almost completely forgot to post - on the beach enjoying a Honey Blond Ale, waiting for the fireworks.
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Happy Independence Day
Hope all is going your way
if not, hope it all gets betta
right after you‘ve solved this meta
Flying_Burrito

Post by Flying_Burrito »

HunterX wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:12 pm
mitchel674 wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:40 pm I'd love a nudge. I have the first step, but I'm stumped again at numbers in parentheses!!
KFB wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:38 pm I have self diagnosed numerophobia primarily manifested by fear of the number 1040, 666 and any numbers involved in solving a meta. (shouldn't they be 86 'ed once and forever?)
That said a nudge might get me through till next week's hopefully non-numeric meta.
10-4 and thanks in advance.
TheCatt wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:41 pm At the bar. Thought we had the first step, found a connection for 2nd step, we thought, then stuck.

Would appreciate a nudge.
I must be in the minority in that I don't mind the numbers. Or, rather, I mildly dislike them for a different reason than most people. (Which I can discuss tomorrow, as this meta is an example of the reason.) The Hints for Solving Meta Contests gives plenty of ideas on how they can be used. Though I always just ignore them until I've figured out the mechanism, or at least step 1 of the mechanism.

For anyone who wants a hint, if you see me, or anyone who has declared that they have solved the puzzle, online, feel free to send a Private Message explaining what you have tried so far, and how much of a nudge you want. Many of us would be happy to offer a "You're hot/cold," or "You're correct but need to continue searching," or "Just try this..." nudge.
HunterX, for a clue I would just tell people "Look at HunterX Connect 4 picture" to figure out the mechanism
Senor Guaca Mole :mrgreen:
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Flying_Burrito wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:50 pm
HunterX wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:12 pm For anyone who wants a hint, if you see me, or anyone who has declared that they have solved the puzzle, online, feel free to send a Private Message explaining what you have tried so far, and how much of a nudge you want. Many of us would be happy to offer a "You're hot/cold," or "You're correct but need to continue searching," or "Just try this..." nudge.
HunterX, for a clue I would just tell people "Look at HunterX Connect 4 picture" to figure out the mechanism
(Shhhhh! Don't reveal the "Avatar Hint Electronic Messaging System" (abbv. AHEMS). That's for the Muggles who have undergone the secret initiation rite of passage and then been sworn to secrecy.)
Ben B

Post by Ben B »

We are keeping Isaac company this weekend. We see some things but are foiled by the numbers. Not a lot of time to spend on it this weekend. Happy 4th everyone!
Ben B

Post by Ben B »

Well by a last minute miracle we again are late but onshore. Son had an inspiration as I was cleaning up from our summer camp trip. That brings a smile to my face. Good puzzle!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good evening muggles

As we close out this July 4th, we have 12 on the ship and 178 on the shore

The latest to join Isaac are
mitchel674
KFB
Patty

And the last tenders to shore brought
TheCatt
Cindy N
dpl11
Peter L
Geezer Weezer
horsesense
Flying_Burrito
Grover
PJM
flamingbear
Doug C
bradisbrad
copperriver
rosiegirl
Ben B and son

Have a happy and safe July 4th
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
ricky

Post by ricky »

Okay, I need a nudge. I have spent way too much time this weekend messing with this to not get across the finish line.

EDIT: On shore! Thanks. The answer was what I thought it might be, just had to grasp the how along with the what.
Last edited by ricky on Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Ready for some fireworks!

C2B799AB-553A-4728-ABE4-68EA19C2D6E0.jpeg

Have a great day at work tomorrow, England! :P
FKelly

Post by FKelly »

Dear Matt Gaffney
Please find enclosed
my thanks for a wonderful puzzle.
Happy 4th of July
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

BrianMac wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:28 pm Ready for some fireworks!

C2B799AB-553A-4728-ABE4-68EA19C2D6E0.jpeg

for those with Insta - see my snapshots of this evening‘s amazing fireworks show at the Empire State Building!! those without, just google SReh26 instagram!
Last edited by SReh26 on Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

BrianMac wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:28 pm Ready for some fireworks!

Alas... As an employee of a Federally Insured Bank (FDIC all the way, baby!) I don't have a holiday tomorrow. We're open for business. Cash for everyone!!!

But I do get a "floating holiday." That means at some point I'll be floating on a river, lake, ocean, or in a swimming pool, or bathtub, and I'll say, "I'll think I'll take a holiday today."
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

Well, I can't believe I've been staring at the answer all weekend. Finally ON SHORE after trying since Thursday to make this waaaay harder than it actually is. And how many other MUGgles have already posted something similar to this over the weekend?! Now I am really glad that I accomplished everything on my to-do list for Saturday and Sunday instead of obsessing even more over finding the meta answer sooner!
Sara
TeaJenny

Post by TeaJenny »

FINALLY! ASHORE! Just in the nick of time.

Of course, I way, way, WAY overthought it. Story of my life.
You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
Limerick Savant

Post by Limerick Savant »

Hidden in 3D wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:44 pm Well, I can't believe I've been staring at the answer all weekend. Finally ON SHORE after trying since Thursday to make this waaaay harder than it actually is. And how many other MUGgles have already posted something similar to this over the weekend?! Now I am really glad that I accomplished everything on my to-do list for Saturday and Sunday instead of obsessing even more over finding the meta answer sooner!
I am sticking to my pledge to work the solution at the last minute mainly because I too over complicated the process this week. Had a pretty good idea of what the meta should refer too quite early but kept looking for it in the wrong place. Regardless I am now on shore working on my limerick.
Dedicated to no nonsense nonsense
KayW

Post by KayW »

The contest answer is SHELL GAMES.

Each of the five theme answers contains something found inside a shell: EGG, LOBSTER, ALMOND, PECAN, OYSTER. As suggested by the title, rearrange the ten enclosing "shell" letters according to the parenthetical numbers to get SHELL GAMES.
WSJCC210702.PNG
(Joe is taking a well-deserved weekend off and granted me special dispensation to post the midnight solution)
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
bradisbrad

Post by bradisbrad »

HunterX wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:36 pm
bradisbrad wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:26 pm
HunterX wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:16 pm

This one seemed like a 100%'er to me. Pretty straight-forward, using a not-unfamiliar mechanism (generally).
I'm at about 99%. Answer makes sense, mechanic makes sense, there was just one little piece that felt off to me.
I'm curious, so do tell us tomorrow.
Alright, to follow up on this I did get it right, and I had the mechanism correct. My problem was that I didn't spot "egg" and thought "Well, 'nut' seems too on the nose and there's no preceding letter, but I guess I'll just use the two letters after 'nut' instead?"

Luckily that worked out to be the same two letters as the two surrounding "egg." But that certainly explains why it felt wrong.
Inca

Post by Inca »

Has the meta-spell finally really lost its power over this muggle? Well, I *was* curious to see what the end game would be, but although I knew for sure that the shelled insides were key and I was pretty sure that the numbers were positions in the final solution and I probably tried every kind of variation except using the 2 letter outside the foods, despite that I was fine with just letting it go at some point rather than let it drive me crazy. So you decide: has it lost its power over me or have I lost my power of it???
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

I quickly saw the "enclosed" words. I couldn't figure out how to get the 2 letters though.

Eventually, I realized that all 5 of them have a shell and thought it must be a part of the answer. None of the words have an 'H' in them, so I looked through the grid for the letter 'H' and when I saw one in front of 'OYSTER', I was mad at myself for not thinking of that.
I'd tried similar things like the first and last letters. I wasn't expecting something else hidden besides the words.

I felt a little bad backsolving this puzzle, but there's no rule against it.