"Hotlinks" - June 25, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Jace54

Post by Jace54 »

A late start due to being on a family vacation, but a fairly easy trip to shore. Nice to have this done early on a vacation weekend!
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

Ashore ! Either I'm getting smarter or......nah, I'm not getting smarter (cue the blind squirrel).
meekmouse

Post by meekmouse »

On shore! It's always nice when the answer comes super easily, I'll be celebrating tonight :D
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

And ashore!
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

I'm bummed, we're going to leave at 8:15 AM Friday for the race, and probably not get back til 10pm Sunday night, and this wasn't one I solved right away... so I'm probably going to have to punt. Oh well. See you all next week for the Gaffney Q&A (I tested out zoom this week, and thank you all for such a nice welcome!)
dpl11

Post by dpl11 »

Ashore. Thanks for organizing the Gaffney event -- looking forward to it.
seahawks_seashanty

Post by seahawks_seashanty »

Ashore - glad to find the beach again after last week's hullabaloo.
tigerfly222

Post by tigerfly222 »

On shore!
Heading out on a short weekend trip today, so I decided to take a stab at the meta before leaving. Phew! Glad it was a quick one.

Next stop, Bilbao!
Miki

Post by Miki »

Solved! But for some reason feel pageanted ...
Joepickett

Post by Joepickett »

woozy wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:14 pm Um... I'm on *some* shore. It works and nothing is wrong with it and everything fits. But... doesn't feel like it was enough. And there's nothing that says this *has* to be it. This is the first time I've done it and my confidence is only 56%.

.... But... It actually works..... I'm going to have a long weekend second guessing myself....

By the way. When does the puzzle go up? For the last year or so I've been eagerly await Thurs 9 Pacific Time knowing its midnight on the east coast and getting to it. Until last week when I impatiently looked 20 minutes earlier and it was up. So getting home tonight and a little after 6 (9 EDT) and ... well, it's here. .... Has it been up all friggin' day all this time and I never knew because I never *looked*?
The puzzles are posted at 4pm Eastern. How else does Al finish most at 4:16? How DOES Al finish that fast? I still have no answer so far thus week.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

I'm ashore. Meta Daughter and I arrived in separate boats this week. Since we got the same answer, I'm pretty sure it's correct.

To those of you who think you may have been pageanted, please explain on Monday. Thanks.
Cynthia
zach

Post by zach »

Ashore!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Joepickett wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:08 am
woozy wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:14 pm Um... I'm on *some* shore. It works and nothing is wrong with it and everything fits. But... doesn't feel like it was enough. And there's nothing that says this *has* to be it. This is the first time I've done it and my confidence is only 56%.

.... But... It actually works..... I'm going to have a long weekend second guessing myself....

By the way. When does the puzzle go up? For the last year or so I've been eagerly await Thurs 9 Pacific Time knowing its midnight on the east coast and getting to it. Until last week when I impatiently looked 20 minutes earlier and it was up. So getting home tonight and a little after 6 (9 EDT) and ... well, it's here. .... Has it been up all friggin' day all this time and I never knew because I never *looked*?
The puzzles are posted at 4pm Eastern. How else does Al finish most at 4:16? How DOES Al finish that fast? I still have no answer so far thus week.
Sometimes -- like last week -- Al doesn't finish at all, so it kind of balances out...
Joe

Post by Joe »

Feel like I should have gotten this right away. I see what I'm obviously supposed to see but I can't figure out what to do with it. I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
TMart

Post by TMart »

Grid done. Meta will have to wait until after the 10 am tee time.
Omnibus

Post by Omnibus »

On the beach in record time (for me). Fun puzzle!
crswenson

Post by crswenson »

On shore! And all in one sitting — an easier one than usual to be sure.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Just got to it this am and a quick swim to shore. Nice to see a Patrick Berry puzzle!!
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Here‘s what I go through every Thursday:
1. Elation- finished the grid in record time!
2. Road runner over the edge treading in place... got the title, see the theme entries.... but, but, BUT!!
3. Falling into the canyon. I‘ll never get it!
4. But its only Thursday.... glimmer of hope.
5. Rolling up sleeves, getting down to business. There is no other way to do this than putting in the time, doing the work.
Larrry

Post by Larrry »

Joe wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:33 am Feel like I should have gotten this right away. I see what I'm obviously supposed to see but I can't figure out what to do with it. I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
Surely you cant be serious