"Hotlinks" - June 25, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Scott M wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:36 pm Hopefully the booze washes away the horrible song from my teen years that solving put in my head.
We must be of the same vintage. That stands out a truly awful song, even amongst a great many expert competitors.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

Solo solve today! I am pretty sure I have it but might want to think a bit more. I will proclaim myself on shore.
Last edited by TeamDoubleTow on Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
DaveKennison

Post by DaveKennison »

Ashore … I think … with a probability of better than 95 percent … in fact, I think I hear the voice of the cabana boy … but … I’m going to wait for a heavy fog to clear before sending in my answer … 😜

Well … silly me … there was no fog, I just needed to clean my reading glasses! … 😜
Last edited by DaveKennison on Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

SReh26 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:08 pm ok, I finished the grid on the wsj site, through playing in the new window, but I had autocheck on (very unusual for it to operate on meta day). It congratulated me for solving it in 19 minutes and the completed grid disappeared. so um...? did anyone else experience this?

unless someone wants to send me their completed grid, I guess I‘ll just chill from the sidelines this weekend.

I could always do the grid a second time, but I think that violates some international law.
When I did it, it congratulated me and showed my time; I clicked the Close or X or whatever and I thought the grid was gone but it came back on in a couple seconds. I bet if you go back to the WSJ puzzle webpage and click on the hotlink (ha! see what I did there?) for the puzzle it will re-appear completed.
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

MikeM000 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:03 pm
SReh26 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:08 pm ok, I finished the grid on the wsj site, through playing in the new window, but I had autocheck on (very unusual for it to operate on meta day). It congratulated me for solving it in 19 minutes and the completed grid disappeared. so um...? did anyone else experience this?

unless someone wants to send me their completed grid, I guess I‘ll just chill from the sidelines this weekend.

I could always do the grid a second time, but I think that violates some international law.
When I did it, it congratulated me and showed my time; I clicked the Close or X or whatever and I thought the grid was gone but it came back on in a couple seconds. I bet if you go back to the WSJ puzzle webpage and click on the hotlink (ha! see what I did there?) for the puzzle it will re-appear completed.
Yes it did! Thank you SO much Mike!!!!!! whew!
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Yep, same here...took some maneuvering but got my completed grid back so I could solve the meta. Looks like we have to submit answer by email too!
LesY

Post by LesY »

Solved and ashore. Late to the party due to business stuff. But yes I will take a Guinness!

Very nice as always, Patrick!
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

On shore! 🏝
LesY

Post by LesY »

Wendy Walker wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:53 pm
Scott M wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:36 pm Hopefully the booze washes away the horrible song from my teen years that solving put in my head.
We must be of the same vintage. That stands out a truly awful song, even amongst a great many expert competitors.
Ah, I for one celebrate the entire genre! :)

Now where’s my beer…
M and M

Post by M and M »

Fast and fun.
MamaE

Post by MamaE »

Scott M wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:36 pm Overcomplicated once again. But on shore at last. Hendricks Martini or some of the Michter's my son got me for Fathers' Day? Decisions, decisions! Hopefully the booze washes away the horrible song from my teen years that solving put in my head.
I am sharing that sappy ear worm with you. Condolences :lol:

Solved- on the beach - agree with all that it was a fun one!
- Just puzzling it out here in Delmarva :D
Guffman

Post by Guffman »

Done. Very grateful I didn't have to search every on-line atlas for this one. A very pleasant diversion.
Joepickett

Post by Joepickett »

Hmm. I'm not seeing this. I've assembled some pieces but I just have nonsense. Obviously I'm missing something.
Last edited by Joepickett on Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lacangah

Post by lacangah »

Ashore! Glad it was less geographic today (still have ‘Low Bridge’ (Erie Canal song) running through my head!)

Nevertheless, I’m always amazed (and appreciative) of all the interesting mechanisms that come up every week.

Good health and good cheer,
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Ashore.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Dragged to shore by the nape of my neck. Please pour some Guinness down my throat and revive me!
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

LesY wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:14 pm
Wendy Walker wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:53 pm
Ah, I for one celebrate the entire genre! :)

Now where’s my beer…
The joys of being an old punk rocker....the song that's been going through my head due to the solve is a fantastic, albeit terrifying, song about being mugged late at night on the London subway system. I have no idea what the rest of you are going on about...
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

MikeM000 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:08 pm a fantastic, albeit terrifying, song about being mugged late at night on the London subway system.
Mike, I have not heard that song in 40 years! I had to check the lyrics to remember what sparked your memory!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Georgeall

Post by Georgeall »

On the shore.
mitchel674

Post by mitchel674 »

Where is the link to the excel spread sheet this week? My WSJ won't come in the mail until tomorrow night.