"A Sail of Two Cities" - June 18, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
markhr

Post by markhr »

Took me a day to get that final step nailed down, but I finally made it ashore.
A deceptively tricky puzzle.
sanmilton

Post by sanmilton »

I have to echo markhr. So glad to report that the 65A have been lifted from my eyes and that I have managed to swim ashore under my own locomotion! And now, on with the weekend.

It's going to be a long one! My firm declared that it would observe Monday for the new Juneteenth holiday, so I should have time for something other than staring at grids before I return to the grind.

PS (a few minutes later): After the blessed "Aha!," I want to think that the solving experience is all about me, and so I sometimes fail to acknowledge the Great Creator of entertainments like these. Thank you, Matt Gaffney, for another tour de force conception and construction, and for making it challenging enough to give me a real feeling of accomplishment (!) upon solving it, after more than a few seriously puzzled minutes.
Last edited by sanmilton on Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
diplomatt

Post by diplomatt »

I am on the beach!

My friend Elaine is a contestant on Jeopardy tonight, so I'm gonna hold of on my beach beer until 7p PDT.
Joepickett

Post by Joepickett »

As I have said many times, Gaffney and I just don't think the same way. I have no idea how to get started on this one.
Jarrod

Post by Jarrod »

Ashore! Feels good for the first time in a few weeks. Raising a Mint Julep and a nod to Matt Gaffney!
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:40 pm
Annabelle wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:41 pm Still on the boat, [spoiler redacted]? Only need five letters for the meta, [spoiler redacted], please bring me a Jamison's neat for some inspiration.
Don't you love it when you are on the boat, in some deep rabbit hole and you have not one, but two spoilers redacted. And you still have no clue why what you said was a spoiler. - been there, done that
Little too much detail on first couple steps. :?
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

BrianMac wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:36 pm
Annabelle wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:41 pm Still on the boat, [spoiler redacted]? Only need five letters for the meta, [spoiler redacted], please bring me a Jamison's neat for some inspiration.
Don't you love it when you are on the boat, in some deep rabbit hole and you have not one, but two spoilers redacted. And you still have no clue why what you said was a spoiler. - been there, done that
In a way it’s good because you were on the right track, right?
I actually for the second time guessed this week’s meta answer correctly before I solved it, and my nudgor almost spit out his coffee, but composed himself and didn’t let on.
Last edited by SReh26 on Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
MamaE

Post by MamaE »

Took a while, but finally finished my dog paddle to shore! This one made me work for it - but a satisfying puzzle - pleased to get there eventually :)
- Just puzzling it out here in Delmarva :D
Mulligan

Post by Mulligan »

Hanging with Isaac while I ponder this one a bit more. I feel I've made solid progress, but I need to stick the landing. Maybe sleeping on this one will bring new inspiration in the morning.
spotter

Post by spotter »

I made it to the beach! This one took some time for each step of the process, but I really enjoyed the swim to shore!
Trey

Post by Trey »

Marion and I are on shore - toes in the sand. I rowed for a while and ran out of gas and she got us home.........good to be relaxing and waiting for the mug to arrive.

Luck to all..........
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

Finally onshore with help from some nice partnering and nudges. This group is amazing.
Joepickett

Post by Joepickett »

Joepickett wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:57 pm As I have said many times, Gaffney and I just don't think the same way. I have no idea how to get started on this one.
Ok I figured out where he is going with this one but I can't finish this one off yet.
LesY

Post by LesY »

BrianMac wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:36 pm
I’m clearly clueless. Thought the spoiler redacted references were intentional and was applauding both that and the Jameson’s reference.

Good luck, Annabelle! If you need a nudge feel free to PM.
PeterLeea1a

Post by PeterLeea1a »

OK, the final part took me too long, but ashore. The grid was tough too.
DianeA

Post by DianeA »

On shore! Stopped last night after getting more than halfway there. Wasn't sure i'd find the way, though. This morning, enlightenment came. Glad to have the rest of the weekend off.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Still at the bar, hoping the morning coffee will rid me of the hangover brought on by pondering the meta too hard (and perhaps a few cocktails), and usher in the sought-after AHA moment. As with others, we solved the grid (last night) and immediately picked up on step one, which was fun to figure out. But then... the dreaded Zoom silence as we stared without a clear path forward. Then, the inevitable brainstorming of ideas, all leading to empty rabbit holes.

The Gaffney is tricksy...
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

Ugh, I’m still with Isaac! Maybe another cup of coffee will help.

I have a step one and have ideas for further steps, but none are working. I am enjoying the potential travel destinations, however.
kamashdas

Post by kamashdas »

Spent entirely too much time in a particularly deep rabbit hole. Slept on it and a new idea presented itself. Luckily I was able to recall it when I awoke! Safely on shore.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

HunterX wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:45 am Still at the bar, hoping the morning coffee will rid me of the hangover brought on by pondering the meta too hard (and perhaps a few cocktails), and usher in the sought-after AHA moment. As with others, we solved the grid (last night) and immediately picked up on step one, which was fun to figure out. But then... the dreaded Zoom silence as we stared without a clear path forward. Then, the inevitable brainstorming of ideas, all leading to empty rabbit holes.

The Gaffney is tricksy...
Drat, darn, and dog-gonnit! I was hoping to join the club of those who post that they are LAS only to post 5 minutes later, "Edit: Saw the light right after I hit submit." And I did find a very tantalizing rabbit hole right after posting, bringing me hope. But, alas, still stuck with Isaac.

Time for a break. Maybe after brunch I'll find a way to follow that rabbit hole a bit further.