"A Sail of Two Cities" - June 18, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
otlaolap

Post by otlaolap »

On Shore.
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

Really confident on starting part and possibly next but think I"m staring at the answer, but I"m blind to it...... time for a blanton's then look at it later.
Last edited by jhseeman on Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
sanmilton

Post by sanmilton »

I must admit I'm not onshore yet! I believe I'm moving in that direction, but I've been floundering for a few hours now. I did stop puzzling over it long enough to have dinner! I suppose it is tougher than usual, seeing that there have been only forty comments on Thursday!

UPDATE (Friday evening): I have found my way to shore. See post 105.
Last edited by sanmilton on Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Count me in with those who are confident of starting in the right direction but n ow floundering.
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

Solved and submitted.
Mister Squawk

Post by Mister Squawk »

Like many others, frustratingly partway there...
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

I am right there with all those who are confident on the first two parts, maybe even three parts, but the answer is not revealing itself to me yet.
RDaleHall

Post by RDaleHall »

Sailed around in some circles last night before returning to the deck this morning. And it clicked in. On shore. My Gaffney Gulp is now a Gaffney Smile. Tough grid and clever meta. On to sip some Highland Park as we catch Scotland vs. England in the Euro today.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Paddling around in circles, mostly lost at sea. Making my way back to the boat for some Isaac-therapy.
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

Took a while, but we are on shore. Definitely needed some help from Mr. G!
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
Gman

Post by Gman »

On shore. Easy start, hard finish.
JPMalone

Post by JPMalone »

I think I'm nearly there, just waiting for what must be the last "aha!" moment
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

I think I may have gotten it but I am checking with someone who definitely solved it. I really enjoyed this one.
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

JPMalone wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:13 am I think I'm nearly there, just waiting for what must be the last "aha!" moment
me too
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

I've been becalmed....the only air is the hot air that I seem to be blowing when I tell people I know how to do these things. Step 1 moderately hard, step 2 (assuming I did it right) moderately hard, Step 3 or more - must be beyond my horizon, I'll have to keep sailing. No shore for me.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Janet

Post by Janet »

I think I am also becalmed, in sight of the shore. I've decoded the clues and numbers, have all the information I think I need, but not getting a good five letter answer. I have today off unexpectedly, so that gives me more time to solve. I think I will get it.
JPMalone

Post by JPMalone »

Landed ashore... last step had me caught up for ages...
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Ashore. BUT … another vessel had to tug me there so diligently that I don’t feel I should submit for the mug.

My oh my, some of the rabbit holes I went down …

I really overcomplicated this one.
Franklin.Bluth

Post by Franklin.Bluth »

SAFELY ASHORE!

Wow. That was brutal. Like many of you, I made it quickly to step 1, sailed right along to step 2, and then came to a screeching halt (or, as the trout said when he slammed into a wall in the Colorado River: "Dam!").

Someone previously mentioned backsolving. I actually guessed the right answer, but couldn't backsolve to it. So I felt that much dumber when the answer began to appear in front of me a day later and I realized I had guessed correctly.

The star rating at the top is misleading. We should score puzzles solely on how quickly page 1 is filled up, which in this case took more than two hours. This is a solid 4.
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Elatedly ashore! Thanks to nudgers in all points of the globe! no that is not a hint!

lmk if you want a used nudge, just tell me how far you’ve gotten and if you want a light nudge or a shove 😄
Last edited by SReh26 on Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.