"A Sail of Two Cities" - June 18, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Carter wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:28 pm
SReh26 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:24 pm
Carter wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:16 pm Who may I ask if I am on the right track? I have sent 3 different messages but they are hanging out in my Outbox. I am not sure if they are going anywhere.
Thanks, Carter
whom

aha

ask me
I knew this was the wrong crowd to play fast and loose with who/whom. Unfortunately that occurred to me after I hit SUBMIT.
Will PM you.
I was just kidding about the whom - it’s the weekend so the Grammar / Syntax and Usage Police are off duty.
billkatz

Post by billkatz »

Solved and safely on shore.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Count me with Isaac again.

Happy Father's Day to all who qualify and those who don't, who want to celebrate.
Rufus T. Firefly
Ben B

Post by Ben B »

Alas we are enjoying Isaac’s company this week. We have what we think are significant findings but still searching fot the aha moment. Cheers to all!
Henry Paul

Post by Henry Paul »

Hanging with Isaac. Thought initially this was going to be a more simplified Gaffney puzzle -- hah! Silly me...

Have some ideas but need more time. Cheers to all.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Had steps one and two fairly quickly. floated around at sea for a long time before I washed up on the beach. Now on to MGWCC.

Weller 107 neat to celebrate, please.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Carter wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:16 pm Who may I ask if I am on the right track? I have sent 3 different messages but they are hanging out in my Outbox. I am not sure if they are going anywhere.
Thanks, Carter
Private Messages remain in your Outbox until they are read by the recipient, at which point they are moved to your Sent folder. As long as they are in your Outbox (i.e., have not yet been read), you can edit or delete them. But once they are in the Sent folder (i.e., they have been read), you can't edit or delete.
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

Ashore. Had an idea of what to do and as I listed things, something jumped out and confirmed I had the right idea for the first step.

Enjoyed this one.
Carter

Post by Carter »

BrianMac wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:19 pm
Thanks, Carter
Private Messages remain in your Outbox until they are read by the recipient, at which point they are moved to your Sent folder. As long as they are in your Outbox (i.e., have not yet been read), you can edit or delete them. But once they are in the Sent folder (i.e., they have been read), you can't edit or delete.
Thank you! Now I can turn back time and save face. If only high school worked this way.
Darth

Post by Darth »

Some heavy swimming, about 15 miles worth, but happy to be on shore now. :D
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

I feel like I have all the pieces but I just can’t make it off this boat. I celebrated early with an Unreal Brewing Company IPA thinking I would be on shore soon. Oops.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:31 am Our Saturday noon status is a little early but movement to the shore has been slow
The good news is that we welcome our newest muggle regfish7 (and mom)
The other good news is that Isaac appreciates the business.

So far we 22 on the ship and 67 on the shore

On the ship are

And on the shore are

CPJohnson

Now back to trying to figure out both WSJ and MGWCC
Alas, Bob, I am on the bar stool at Isaac's, not at the tiki bar. However, I am moving closer to an answer. In fact, I have an answer, but want to think about it for a while before I submit.
Cynthia
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

I’m ashore after realizing the mechanism while laying down for an afternoon nap. Good luck muggles!
SilviaV

Post by SilviaV »

I was sure I had it. I figured some things out, made some connections, and then looked at what was connecting the connections and couldn’t find a 5 letter word in it. Will take a break to chat with Isaac and then give this another try in a bit.
Cosmo

Post by Cosmo »

On shore! I thought that this one might break my streak but I persevered!
It's a coffee table book about coffee tables
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Just back from a remote atoll off Belize fishing and got it on the plane after making a DIY grid. So I am literally and figuratively ashore. Nice one Matt.
caroline

Post by caroline »

New to this forum, hello! I appreciate how the posts here range from "On Shore, and boy was that ever easy and completely obvious!" to "I have literally no idea where to begin." Reminds me that the meta is often just a matter of guessing what the constructor had in mind.

At my house we have solved the grid and found the gimmick, but can't seem to make it into a 5-letter word yet. I'm sure I'll be kicking myself when it's revealed!
chad8484

Post by chad8484 »

Could someone give me a nudge?? This is the first contest puzzle I've ever tried, so I'm not totally sure how to work toward the answer. I have the grid complete and see a few clues but can't really make sense of it. Could use some tips from the pros on here. Thanks!
eagle1279

Post by eagle1279 »

I also have the first couple of steps but now am floundering, so an evening at the ship’s bar for me.
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

SReh26 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:10 pm
Nlobb wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:05 pmashore!
and don’t it feel good! Anyone remember that line from the 80s song, Walking on Sunshine?

my candidates for the theme song for the aha moment:

1. What a Feeling (from Flashdance)
2. Chariots of Fire theme song
3. Walking on Sunshine
4. That’s the Way I Like it
5. Rocky theme
6. Round the way girl (hey wait....?)

any others?
Sunrise from Thus Spoke Zarathustra?
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman