"A Sail of Two Cities" - June 18, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

caroline wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:46 pm
Al Sisti wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:30 pm I'm a half hour away from launching a Hail Mary. I can't believe after getting the first step that I can't make a cogent five-letter word out of any...well, anything.
Same!
Feel the same. Launching the HM tomorrow morning after one last night of sleeping on it. If I don’t put in my answer, I will be staring at the peppers I bought for comfort food Sunday instead of stuffing them.🫑🫑!!
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
seahawks_seashanty

Post by seahawks_seashanty »

Lost at sea (seems appropriate for the puzzle)! Was wondering if a helpful Muggle could give me a push in the right direction.
lacangah

Post by lacangah »

Ashore! My wife and I were struggling with this one; our son helped us get there, which made for a nice early Father’s Day treat!

Happy Father’s Day to all Dads from sea to shore and anywhere your puzzle quests take you,
yourpalsal

Post by yourpalsal »

Ashore! I started on Friday afternoon. Got the device but couldn’t quite put it together, and had to put the pen down for Shabbat. Inspiration came easily with some rejuvenating rest and I emailed the answer Saturday night, making this a Shavuah Tov, a good week, indeed! And may all of you have a Shavuah Tov too! :D
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Al Sisti wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:30 pm I'm a half hour away from launching a Hail Mary. I can't believe after getting the first step that I can't make a cogent five-letter word out of any...well, anything.
Well, if Al is having trouble, then I don't feel so bad!

Actually, I do. I've got a 30 week streak going here. Need to keep it going!
steveb

Post by steveb »

Finally washed up on shore after originally taking a wrong turn. Not much partying for me this weekend!
burak

Post by burak »

Well this meta demanded some persistence. I got it quick only because I was lucky and I've been solving these for a few years now, but I can see how this will be a challenge to many. Will definitely be a great learning experience for someone who's new to this.
jimmyd

Post by jimmyd »

Spent longer at the bar than I should have (it happens)… but it feels great landing on the shore! Onto the next MG meta puzzle! 🏝
stmv

Post by stmv »

Ugh, I got a late start due to visiting family, but even so this took me *way* much longer than it should have. I saw 90% of it very fast, and was treading water within sight of the beach, but I just could not close the deal. Then suddenly while brushing my teeth it hit me, that I had overlooked a common mechanism, and I was even able to guess what the answer was going to be before I worked out the details. Better late than never, and now I'm 100% on the beach, exhausted but pleased.
Fishoutowater

Post by Fishoutowater »

Finally back to shore after a few weeks at sea as the metas have gotten harder. I was stuck yesterday, tried again a bit right before bed, and then in the middle of the night I woke up and the answer popped into my head. Crazy how the mind works sometimes!
iggystan

Post by iggystan »

Ashore after confirmation of what I had pushed me to look a little harder and, aha!, there it was.
ClayD

Post by ClayD »

Ashore, very fun and satisfying one for me. Impressed with the folks who got the final bit while away from the puzzle!
802puzzler

Post by 802puzzler »

On shore with a nudge!
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

After a bunch of nudges and shoves I have an answer but am not submitting.
yungchap

Post by yungchap »

soooo many rabbit holes ... anyone care to give the tiniest of nudges?
tigerfly222

Post by tigerfly222 »

Welp, I'm stuck. I'm paddling furiously in the same boat with all those who've worked out 90% of the solution but just can't get to shore.
Have reached the point where pride means nothing, I just want to get to the answer.
If anyone is prepared with a nudge, write me and I will tell you what I've done so far.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

tigerfly222 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:39 am Welp, I'm stuck. I'm paddling furiously in the same boat with all those who've worked out 90% of the solution but just can't get to shore.
Have reached the point where pride means nothing, I just want to get to the answer.
If anyone is prepared with a nudge, write me and I will tell you what I've done so far.
send a PM with what you have done and we will get you to the shore.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
EmilyW

Post by EmilyW »

Still sailing. I know what the first step is, but one part of it I haven't been able to figure out. And no idea what to do after that.
zacmoretz

Post by zacmoretz »

Still sailing about at the moment, but feel like we are approaching the shore…
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Sunday morning muggles

The coast guard has been very active in the last 24 hours getting muggles to shore. We have 32 on the ship so Isaac has opened a second bar on the lido deck and brought in the tender crew to serve as bartenders. Lots of mimosa this morning. Meanwhile the shore crowd has increased to 102. Many of which will stay there after midnight having not submitted

The best news is that we have new muggles - tgc, caroline and chad8484. For those counting we now have 964 muggles (those who have posted either here for the WSJ meta or over on the WSJ comments page, I don't count the blog members who post on the many other topics).

New to the ship's bars since yesterday are
KscX
JeanneC
crosswordnewbie
bjpfla
CPJohnson
Tom S
Tom Wi
higgysue
Henry Paul
SilviaV
eagle1279
whimsy
KFB
Colin
seahawks seashanty
caroline
chad8484
EmilyW

While making it to the shore with more than a few needing artificial respiration
Schmeel
Homer
Jean
Susan G
Cap'n Rick
Wendy
MaineMarge
Joepickett
Moi
ky-mike
Cosmo
darth