"Lean Meat" - June 14, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

Al Sisti wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:44 am Safely ashore... I'm told it's too early for a Guinness, but I highly recommend an Irish Bloody Mary: https://www.guinness.com/en-us/recipes- ... oody-mary/
That sounds fabulous! Thanks for sharing 🍺
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Janet P wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:55 am
Al Sisti wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:44 am Safely ashore... I'm told it's too early for a Guinness, but I highly recommend an Irish Bloody Mary: https://www.guinness.com/en-us/recipes- ... oody-mary/
That sounds fabulous! Thanks for sharing 🍺
It was a *very* pleasant surprise when we tried one... possibly more... at 11 AM at the Dayton Irish Festival a couple years ago. We instantly brought the recipe to our favorite local bartender and soon had the whole bar asking for it.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Has anyone seen our cruise director this weekend? I don’t remember him requesting a leave of absence.
KayW

Post by KayW »

LAS.

This is getting old. Grid is finished but nada on the meta. Well, I see some things but nothing productive yet.

And 13A is a thing? Hmmm. I know the rule - no spoilers even on grid entries; I'll withhold further comment til Monday.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
KayW

Post by KayW »

On shore - Post enlightenment! I think my first time for that happy experience.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

KayW wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:26 pm
And 13A is a thing?
I'm certainly in no rush to go to China to try it.
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

Two rabbit-less rabbit holes, but am now on shore. One was a long, deep, and twisted one based on a misinterpretation of where the title was leading me.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
Doug C

Post by Doug C »

On shore. I liked this one. Enjoy the weekend everyone!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

A quick note on the status. I just got back to the mainland from Monhegan Island so the status for Friday probably won't happen. I did the grid on the back of some notes but am lost at sea so far.

Good luck to all in getting the meta.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
ArnoldMBrockman

Post by ArnoldMBrockman »

I Could Be Enjoying This Next Week If I Could Hopefully(In The Future) Be Drinking A Vodka Martini In My Winning MUG !
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Finally made it to shore. There is one large rabbit hole that I found that I will mention on Monday that sidetracked me for a few hours (I was so far down I could hear Mandarin in the distance) but I finally saw the light and then it was a quick solve. Enjoyable puzzle—thanks Mike!

Jay
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Got the first step, but that only got me to the bar with Isaac. Hopefully not for the entire weekend.

Now it's time to cut the grass. Chauncey Gardner told me it was the right time...
Rufus T. Firefly
Jud

Post by Jud »

Ashore! And happy to find this forum.
Janet

Post by Janet »

That wascally wabbit was leading me on a chase, but I caught him. I enjoyed the challenge.
Janet

Post by Janet »

Meg wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:03 am I’m in Montreal, visiting my daughter. Great food! I have the first part of this, so I’ve at least jumped off the boat.
I haven't been to Montreal for a very long time. Enjoy your trip!
Janet

Post by Janet »

BarbaraK wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:38 pm
KayW wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:26 pm
And 13A is a thing?
I'm certainly in no rush to go to China to try it.
Ooh, 13A is available on Amazon! Kind of pricy, and there's also a wasabi flavor! I like weird things like that.
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

Ashore. This was another very easy one for me as my first idea turned out to be the right rabbit hole.

Oddly, the first word that came to mind after reading the description happened to be correct. Like "The Tempest" from last week, I think a few people will get it by guessing.
Tony S

Post by Tony S »

Warp speed in completing the grid, super slo-mo in my attempt to figure out the meta. I hope Isaac has enough Islay single malts for the time I expect to spend at his bar this weekend.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Jud wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:37 pm Ashore! And happy to find this forum.
And we're happy to have you joining the shore party! The more the merrier. Welcome!
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Eric-My first thought also turned out to be the correct answer. However, I never turn in a guess. For me, either I solve it or I don’t. If I guessed the right answer it would mean nothing to me.