"Connect The Dots" - June 11, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

I’m happily ashore. I bombed last week. After my streak of 29 solo solves I just couldn’t get it. I was on vacation but I wouldn’t have figured it out anyway. It’s ok because 29 is my personal best so far and I’m ok with that. I do have a few choice French words to say even though I don’t speak a lick of French!
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

If everyone deserts Isaac, ALAS, he’ll get lonely right as the weekend is on the verge of starting. And I would never, ever want that to happen. 😢

So, having finished 99 percent of the grid and EYEING some likely relevant hints in the grid to the mechanism, rather than sink into dismay and despair, my initial plan, I’m choosing - yes OPTing- to take my time with this one. Thus aiming for self reliance, unruffled cool and compassion, all in one. 😎 And no, no Oxford commas and that’s a policy.

And no, none of the above is a hint of any kind, as that would be both wrong and unlawful. In the immortal words of Johnny Cash, I walk the line. 😇
Last edited by SReh26 on Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:10 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Anita

Post by Anita »

Toes in the sand!
TeaJenny

Post by TeaJenny »

Ashore.
That was... different. Assuming I've done it correctly...
You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
jrdad

Post by jrdad »

Ashore. Classic, clever Shenk.
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

Floated ashore.
-Tamara
RobM

Post by RobM »

On shore. Good one.
mlvilv

Post by mlvilv »

Omg!! I'm on shore!!! On my own. Cheers!!!!
boharr

Post by boharr »

I started out swimming to shore confidently and midway realized I had forgotten a skill I supposedly learned as a child. Luckily, as I gasped for air, a big tech speedboat picked me up and dropped me onshore. Drinking time.
Last edited by boharr on Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ajk

Post by ajk »

Late start on this one. Stalled a little at first, but upon re-examination the method became clear. Ashore, beverage in hand.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

I MAy be on shore--or maybe not. I think that I'm RIght, but have a bit of a QUAndary since I've never seen a mechanism like this. Is my reasoning FLawed? Or is it because I have a less than encYClopedic knowledge of metas? Or did I really cATCH on right away? I think I will pondER for awhile...
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

On shore!
steveb

Post by steveb »

Done and done
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Okay, I made this entirely too complicated. Count me on shore!
Heidi
M and M

Post by M and M »

Cheerful and charming puzzle - a fun one to solve.
LesY

Post by LesY »

Solved. Thankfully I did some planning before starting a key step or I’d probably still be at it.

Have a great weekend everyone!
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Ashore. I'll withhold comment until Monday, but I do have a bit of a quibble with one aspect of this. That having been said, a fun puzzle to solve. In honor of my trip home to beautiful Santa Fe next week to see my parents (thanks to the pandemic, it's been almost 2 years since I've seen them in person), I'll have a margarita (with extra salt on the rim, please)!
Matthew
mikeB

Post by mikeB »

Ashore. An interesting meta. Glad to be snapping a losing streak. Glad to learn that even if a solution comes relatively quickly, it can still come with a new tool(s) to add to the tool box for solving -- as well as a hat-tip to the constructor. Very clever design.
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

On shore after some frustrations, but it clicked at last. Daiquiris all around
spotter

Post by spotter »

Ashore! Quick solve, but fun one.