"Connect The Dots" - June 11, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Franklin.Bluth

Post by Franklin.Bluth »

mntlblok wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:41 am
Michelle B wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:17 am I noticed that the 5 E's formed a star, but I was determined to make something of the diagonal O's. I corralled my reluctant husband/sounding board, and I told him what I thought the pieces were. The instant I read the clue for 55D, I had my Aha! moment.
My wife and I have been trying these for a couple of months now - with very close to zero success. :-) Well, we *have* incorporated "rabbit hole" into our conversations. :-) I also tried to make the five pairs of diagonal "o"s do something, and came up with MINOR. Even went to the trouble of reading up on the Morse Code symbols. Looks like I would've (in hindsight) found that two dots (o's?) stood for "i". The "e's went right over my head. At least I'm getting used to it. Does it get better?? :-)
It just takes time and practice. I think I started playing these in August of last year, and it wasn't until December that I began to solve them consistently. You start to pick up patterns, understand where the puzzle makers hide clues, etc.

Once that happens a puzzle like this one will seem easy: you'll see DOT, STAR, and NODE and get a quick solve.
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

Thank you! Have greatly enjoyed reading through these post-Sunday posts. Don't know that I can make it up to the level "kindred spirit", but the level of discourse certainly far exceeds what I'm used to dealing with. :-) Love me some wit. . .
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

mntlblok wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:32 am Thank you! Have greatly enjoyed reading through these post-Sunday posts. Don't know that I can make it up to the level "kindred spirit", but the level of discourse certainly far exceeds what I'm used to dealing with. :-) Love me some wit. . .
I joined around ten weeks ago. Nudges are key. This is like ice skating - need to hold onto the wall at first until you can skate on your own. Ive reduced how many nudges I need on average but I still need them. And like skating, everyone (except a tiny cadre) falls here and there regardless of expertise.
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

Franklin.Bluth wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:19 am
Michelle B wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:17 am I noticed that the 5 E's formed a star, but I was determined to make something of the diagonal O's. I corralled my reluctant husband/sounding board, and I told him what I thought the pieces were. The instant I read the clue for 55D, I had my Aha! moment.
My wife and I have been trying these for a couple of months now - with very close to zero success. :-) Well, we *have* incorporated "rabbit hole" into our conversations. :-) I also tried to make the five pairs of diagonal "o"s do something, and came up with MINOR. Even went to the trouble of reading up on the Morse Code symbols. Looks like I would've (in hindsight) found that two dots (o's?) stood for "i". The "e's went right over my head. At least I'm getting used to it. Does it get better?? :-)
It just takes time and practice. I think I started playing these in August of last year, and it wasn't until December that I began to solve them consistently. You start to pick up patterns, understand where the puzzle makers hide clues, etc.

Once that happens a puzzle like this one will seem easy: you'll see DOT, STAR, and NODE and get a quick solve.
That's most encouraging. Thanks. BTW, I *did* notice DOT and NODE, but rather than land on the simple "DOT=E", had *way* too much fun learning the synonyms for dot and dash and that a dit lasts only a third as long as a dah - or something like that. :-)
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

mntlblok wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:32 am Thank you! Have greatly enjoyed reading through these post-Sunday posts. Don't know that I can make it up to the level "kindred spirit", but the level of discourse certainly far exceeds what I'm used to dealing with. :-) Love me some wit. . .
And, if you like puns and limericks (and the occasional haiku), you'll be in hog heaven! It's a great community.
Cynthia
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Welcome to the clan. On metas experience is the best teacher. And reading about how many of us went down the same rabbit holes shows that no matter what you do, you are not alone. Let us know if you have any questions.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
steveb

Post by steveb »

sanmilton wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:28 am
LadyBird wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:19 pm Does anyone else's heart sink a little when they see that MikeMillerwsj has posted and you realize that the mug--once again--will not be coming to you?
Well, yes, I suppose mine does. But the feeling is somewhat like that irrational disappointment I experience when a cousin steals from me the prize I just stole from an elderly aunt at the white elephant gift exchange during one of our family Christmas gatherings.
Having gone through this cycle over 200 times, I've gotten used to it. I only start double-checking my email if we get past Tuesday without an announced winner. But if and when I ever do win the mug, you'll hear about it! :lol:
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

SReh26 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:39 am
I joined around ten weeks ago. Nudges are key. This is like ice skating - need to hold onto the wall at first until you can skate on your own. Ive reduced how many nudges I need on average but I still need them. And like skating, everyone (except a tiny cadre) falls here and there regardless of expertise.
I’m relatively new too and I found that reviewing the old meta puzzles (on the muggles forum) help a lot !
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

CPJohnson wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:14 am
And, if you like puns and limericks (and the occasional haiku), you'll be in hog heaven! It's a great community.
Haikus remind me of Ruby Allen - English teacher senior year, so that's a non-starter. I pretty much "think" in puns. :-) And, AFAIC, limericks are the only true form of poetry. Am most definitely getting the sense that this is the kind of community that this individualist could latch onto. :-)
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

mntlblok wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:47 pm I pretty much "think" in puns. :-) Am most definitely getting the sense that this is the kind of community that this individualist could latch onto. :-)
Paging Dr. Tom ... !!!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
ajk

Post by ajk »

mntlblok wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:41 am My wife and I have been trying these for a couple of months now - with very close to zero success. :-) Well, we *have* incorporated "rabbit hole" into our conversations. :-) At least I'm getting used to it. Does it get better?? :-)
If you haven't already done so, I'd recommend consulting the info in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=49

That and looking at past examples, conveniently collected here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=277

There are some standard tricks/conventions that recur regularly, and some things you get used to (like: if the answer is specified as having n letters, you should often be looking for n grid answers that will each point you towards one letter). But there are also always new things, which is what makes it fun.

It's also always ok to ask for help--the vast majority of the (many) times I've been stuck, a slight refocusing by someone saying 'look here not there' is all that's required. You are generally much closer to the answer than you think.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
hoover

Post by hoover »

Always look at the title of the puzzle!

For this one, I noticed these clues:
- Title: Connect the DOTs
- 70A: E is a DOT, and there are five of them
- 56D: The shape made by connecting five points is a STAR
- 55D: And look at the point where the lines intersect
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

hoover wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:39 pm Always look at the title of the puzzle!

For this one, I noticed these clues:
- Title: Connect the DOTs
- 70A: E is a DOT, and there are five of them
- 56D: The shape made by connecting five points is a STAR
- 55D: And look at the point where the lines intersect
I would also add to look at how the meta is described. In this case, a 5-letter noun. That should add to the certainty that the five Es are very important.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
Kas

Post by Kas »

Dplass wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:32 am
Kas wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:28 am Aaaaaauugh! KAS 3.

I had it…I WAS SOOO CLOSE. I got the “star” hint, was even circling around the “crossed lines” nudge…but I didn’t know “E” = “dot” in Morse Code.

My puzzle looks like a ven diagram done by a caffeinated squirrel, after trying 17 ways to draw a star through (first) all of the “i’s”, (then) all of the “o’s”, (and finally) trying to figure out how to balance a 5-Pointed Star in an even/symmetrical grid.

On the bright side, Isaac and I are gettin’ real friendly, these days…. 🙄
Um. "E" = "DOT" in Morse Code was the last clue...
Don't try to confuse me with logic, bub. My nitwit skills are LEGENDARY.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Kas wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:28 am Aaaaaauugh! KAS 3.

I had it…I WAS SOOO CLOSE. I got the “star” hint, was even circling around the “crossed lines” nudge…but I didn’t know “E” = “dot” in Morse Code.

My puzzle looks like a ven diagram done by a caffeinated squirrel, after trying 17 ways to draw a star through (first) all of the “i’s”, (then) all of the “o’s”, (and finally) trying to figure out how to balance a 5-Pointed Star in an even/symmetrical grid.

On the bright side, Isaac and I are gettin’ real friendly, these days…. 🙄
Kas 3? "The Metas I gut through, *eventually* figure out...and then walk around the rest of the weekend like I just solved The Middle East or learned Sanskrit"

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=35
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

mntlblok wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:47 pm
Haikus remind me of Ruby Allen - English teacher senior year, so that's a non-starter. I pretty much "think" in puns. :-) And, AFAIC, limericks are the only true form of poetry. Am most definitely getting the sense that this is the kind of community that this individualist could latch onto. :-)
Well if you are looking to latch onto a community you hasp arrived, this place is a lock! I am one (of many) punsters and aspiring wits. Now if you really like BOTH wit and Metas check out "That's Not Funny" in the Other Metas section under the Madhatter's Enigma on Wednesday. I believe it was puzzle #23, but look for it by name.

We’re glad to have somebody new
Who our meter would never eschew
We lean toward the witty
Avoiding the gritty
Cause that is what good Muggles do
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
mheberlingx100

Post by mheberlingx100 »

Testing 1 - 2 - 3. Hadn’t seen posting of winner and stats, and wanted to make sure the forum was still working.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

^^^
@mheberlingx100
(Mike Miller needs an eye-catching avatar! :) )
Last edited by whimsy on Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
otlaolap

Post by otlaolap »

whimsy wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:24 pm (Mike Miller needs an eye-catching avatar! :) )
A simple WSJ, using large letters to fill the avatar space and using the Wall Street Journal title font, would do nicely.
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

mntlblok wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:47 pm
My brother invented an impromptu slam of the haiku form that’s really good, for those still smarting from a bad teacher. I like haiku, and I’m too polite and sensitive to post it here, but happy to share it privately if desired- its a good one.