"Connect The Dots" - June 11, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

otlaolap wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:50 pm
whimsy wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:24 pm (Mike Miller needs an eye-catching avatar! :) )
A simple WSJ, using large letters to fill the avatar space and using the Wall Street Journal title font, would do nicely.
Or a filled in crossword puzzle. Once on a college application I submitted that in response to the question, send a picture of something you like.

It will surprise few of you to learn that I did not gain admittance to that particular college, although fortunately that did not impede my subsequent inexorable progress to dizzying heights in academe and beyond. 😅
mheberlingx100

Post by mheberlingx100 »

mntlblok wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:47 pm
CPJohnson wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:14 am
mntlblok wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:32 am Thank you! Have greatly enjoyed reading through these post-Sunday posts. Don't know that I can make it up to the level "kindred spirit", but the level of discourse certainly far exceeds what I'm used to dealing with. :-) Love me some wit. . .
And, if you like puns and limericks (and the occasional haiku), you'll be in hog heaven! It's a great community.
Haikus remind me of Ruby Allen - English teacher senior year, so that's a non-starter. I pretty much "think" in puns. :-) And, AFAIC, limericks are the only true form of poetry. Am most definitely getting the sense that this is the kind of community that this individualist could latch onto. :-)
I remember an article in the late 70’s in Time magazine that described a limerick contest with Isaac Asimov as the judge. The winning entry:

The bustard’s an exquisite fowl,
With minimal reason to growl.
He escapes what would be
Illegitimacy
By grace of a fortunate vowel.
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

I'm game. :-) Ruby insisted that Hemingway was using symbolism in instances where he explicitly stated that he wasn't. *And* declared that Norman Rockwell's stuff wasn't "art". Grrrr. . .
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

mntlblok wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:36 pm I'm game. :-) Ruby insisted that Hemingway was using symbolism in instances where he explicitly stated that he wasn't. *And* declared that Norman Rockwell's stuff wasn't "art". Grrrr. . .
Top this: I had an English teacher who asked us to write a Shakespearean sonnet. I stayed up into the early morning hours working on mine, fueled by tea, chocolate, creativity and an appreciation (since lost) for Shakespeare. I got a D minus.

When I asked her about it she said it was too good, that I couldn’t have written it myself, that I must have copied it from a book on Shakespeare, and demanded to know where I got it from. I was like ???!!!!

I was only 13, but that was my first of many 🧐🧐🧐 moments... close encounters of the third kind with... the stupidity Goliath.

However, it has a happy ending. The AP (Advanced Placement) English teacher visited and transferred me to his class, unasked.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Is it Thursday, yet?
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Since I think of Thursday as the day the puzzle comes out, I sometimes get excited on Wednesday because I'm thinking the puzzle comes out a day early, forgetting that Thursday is the day early!
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

BrianMac wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:52 am Since I think of Thursday as the day the puzzle comes out, I sometimes get excited on Wednesday because I'm thinking the puzzle comes out a day early, forgetting that Thursday is the day early!
Me, Too! Here I am checking in already and there’s still 4 hrs to go...😂
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

BrianMac wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:52 am Since I think of Thursday as the day the puzzle comes out, I sometimes get excited on Wednesday because I'm thinking the puzzle comes out a day early, forgetting that Thursday is the day early!
What I immediately thought of! :)
Capturelittleprince.PNG
Natalie

Post by Natalie »

SReh26 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:31 am
Natalie wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:26 am On a beach but totally wrong beach. Hall of shame. Have a good week, all!
No shame! The only shame is in not trying or not doing your best. Re read The Man in the Arena (“it is not the critic who counts, but the man in the arena, who dares greatly, and if he fails, bruised and bloodied, at least did so in pursuit of a great cause...”).

Other beaches are nice too!
Thanks for the kind words, but this really is a hall of shame. I saw something and got so excited that I actually forgot to consider the number of letters in my answer...HALL OF SHAME! And I laughed a lot about it.