"Pardon My English" - June 4, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

A very enjoyable swim indeed. Count me ashore. The initial aha! was especially sweet. A certain skill helps in this one. Brilliant as always Matt!

Stay well all
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Done and done. Not happy with the last 25% but figured it out nonetheless.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
Franklin.Bluth

Post by Franklin.Bluth »

Ashore! Brilliant construction.
dk letter

Post by dk letter »

Ashore! So many steps, but great fun!
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

Holy moly! Not sure we could explain this to anyone. Convoluted but enjoyable solve, with fun steps along the way.

And to confirm, we are ashore! :mrgreen:
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
lacangah

Post by lacangah »

Ashore, but no clips from Cheers to guide me to the solution this week.

Good health and happy solving,
Magistra

Post by Magistra »

After a few rabbit holes, I figured out the mechanism, but that last 25% mentioned made me doubt myself (I am weak in the certain skill mentioned above). Took a break. When I came back the answer became clear as I hit the beach. Solved and submitted.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Well if I'm in a rabbit hole, it's the longest one I've ever been in! Just can't quite get there. I think I know what skill you all are referencing (I have very little of it) and I think I know what 25% people don't really see (me neither), but the 75% I do have is not giving me anything like a good guess so I can back-solve. Ugghhhh. I have dm'd a couple of you beached solvers for a quick check of my process to see if I should give up this trail and start again. I do have a paying job, which I am sorely neglecting... and Gaffney coming soon! (no doubt that will be easier than THIS thing!)
The other Wendy. :roll:
Georgeall

Post by Georgeall »

Happily ashore and ready for a long weekend!
MamaE

Post by MamaE »

On the beach. I had the same problem as many others and had to back solve the last 25%. Nonetheless a satisfying solve.
- Just puzzling it out here in Delmarva :D
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

My wife got this one for us. I can explain more on Monday.

On shore.
Miki

Post by Miki »

Done and done

This puzzle is "the two word phrase answer"
Mister Squawk

Post by Mister Squawk »

On shore. The archive of solved puzzles was a help.
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Finished the grid....✏️ 🙇‍♀️
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

HeadinHome wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:19 pm Well if I'm in a rabbit hole, it's the longest one I've ever been in! Just can't quite get there. I think I know what skill you all are referencing (I have very little of it) and I think I know what 25% people don't really see (me neither), but the 75% I do have is not giving me anything like a good guess so I can back-solve. Ugghhhh. I have dm'd a couple of you beached solvers for a quick check of my process to see if I should give up this trail and start again. I do have a paying job, which I am sorely neglecting... and Gaffney coming soon! (no doubt that will be easier than THIS thing!)
I'm with you, except for the 75%. Got nothing. But misery loves company!
edot

Post by edot »

Ashore! Bracing for a 90 degree weekend here :)
JordanianTomlinson

Post by JordanianTomlinson »

Ashore! Same issue as everyone else but I bet when I read the answer it'll be a head-slapper
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Well I got it now! I had a perfectly good substitute for one of the pieces (the first one), and it even worked with the mechanism ('splain later) -- so that was messing me up entirely. (So it wasn't a rabbit hole, I was just in a side burrow no other rabbits were using.)

I was only able to get the last 25% by backsolving once I had the correct FIRST 25%.

Man I have earned me a margarita. Thank you to my very gentle encouragers, TeamDoubleTow and RPardoe!
The other Wendy. :roll:
BethA

Post by BethA »

On the beach! 🏖 🍷

Found the last 25% extremely difficult compared to the rest. But didn’t want to post til I had it all. Enjoyed the puzzle!

🧄 Garlic People - I did my scape sacrifice yesterday, and have two vases. One has the shorter stems which were still straight, and the other has longer stems which were starting to curl. Waiting to see the UDLR ballet! 🧄
boharr

Post by boharr »

So many here are talking about percentages that I'm going to need @Joe Ross to make me up a spreadsheet just to understand the odds. Even though I've solved it.