"Pardon My English" - June 4, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Toby wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:54 am Got it. This is one of the rare puzzles where Google or knowing too much can lead you astray. I predict some protests.
You've gotta allow a constructor a teeny imperfection. The perfect is the enemy of the Googled, and besides, I love the title.
Jay
Doc

Post by Doc »

More than happy for a nudge to get me going. Relatively new to Metas so the numbers in parentheses are completely foreign to me.
DanA

Post by DanA »

Made it to the beach! Rip currents kept pulling me out but I prevailed.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Doc wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:06 am More than happy for a nudge to get me going. Relatively new to Metas so the numbers in parentheses are completely foreign to me.
Never mind. Of course as soon as I write this it just clicks. Well 75% of it like everyone else! Now to figure out how to backfill.

Consider me ashore.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Doc wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:23 am
Doc wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:06 am More than happy for a nudge to get me going. Relatively new to Metas so the numbers in parentheses are completely foreign to me.
Never mind. Of course as soon as I write this it just clicks. Well 75% of it like everyone else! Now to figure out how to backfill.

Consider me ashore.
Haha -- I just sent you a PM; thank goodness I didn't give it away!!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

Ugly rainy day on the (literal) shore in NC, as I hang out with Isaac. I think I'm on the right track, just can't figure out the next step.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
Cosmo

Post by Cosmo »

On shore! Tricky but satisfying!
It's a coffee table book about coffee tables
Dannyvee

Post by Dannyvee »

Ashore! Liked this one.
I can be found in Sheridan, NY, veejaying. (8)
mheverson

Post by mheverson »

HOLY COW, ASHORE! Un-freaking-believable puzzle. Probably the toughest I've personally solved. Same deal as everyone else here, too. Had to reference past parentheses puzzles to get some insight. Stuck at 75% but able to backfill, and once backfilled hit with a big "well duh, you idiot." Anyway, I'm pretty happy with this one... feels like a meta-solving skills jump for me.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:32 am
Doc wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:23 am

Consider me ashore.
Haha -- I just sent you a PM; thank goodness I didn't give it away!!
Yes, thanks for not giving anything away! Managed to backfill and figure out the last 25% so fully ashore...too early for a drink?
auee89

Post by auee89 »

Ashore! Got another one without a nudge . . . getting there with my meta skills :-). Didn't need the 25% back-fill this time.
Kevin
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

mheverson wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:45 am HOLY COW, ASHORE! Un-freaking-believable puzzle. Probably the toughest I've personally solved. Same deal as everyone else here, too. Had to reference past parentheses puzzles to get some insight. Stuck at 75% but able to backfill, and once backfilled hit with a big "well duh, you idiot." Anyway, I'm pretty happy with this one... feels like a meta-solving skills jump for me.
This warms my heart! Way to go, Mheverson; you are a true Muggle!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

On shore.

It took me a WHile. I had the last step identified right away, but it was quITE a journEY before I figurED out the earlier steps. I'll have a hot tea with honey. The downside of going mask-free is that I picked up a cold VIRus--it's been EOns since I had the sneezing/stuffy nose/sore throat feeling.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

LadyBird wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:25 am On shore.

It took me a WHile. I had the last step identified right away, but it was quITE a journEY before I figurED out the earlier steps. I'll have a hot tea with honey. The downside of going mask-free is that I picked up a cold VIRus--it's been EOns since I had the sneezing/stuffy nose/sore throat feeling.
Feel better!
Heidi
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Doc wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:45 am too early for a drink?
PFFT!
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
TeaJenny

Post by TeaJenny »

After weeks of fruitlessly battling the waves and getting seasick from too many of Isaac's delicious cocktails, I am finally ASHORE!!!

I got hung up on the 25% others have mentioned, but once I got the other 75% and knew what to look for, I was able to solve it. Sooo happy! Where's the cabana boy? Frozen margaritas to celebrate!
You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
TeaJenny

Post by TeaJenny »

Joe Ross wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:35 am
Doc wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:45 am too early for a drink?
PFFT!
It's 5 o'clock somewhere!
You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
JPMalone

Post by JPMalone »

Happy to see Elena Ferrante in a clue, but alas, can't crack this meta
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good morning muggles

A warm welcome to our newest muggles - BackHomeInKY and bwouns.

So far we have 7 on the ship and 73 on the shore.

For the Q&A with Matt Gaffney there are three ways to ask a question 1) electronically raise your hand during the Zoom call and I will get to you, 2) type the question in a chat message and I will get to you or 3) send me a PM with your question and I will read it for Matt.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

On shore ... and waiting out a pre-summer thunderstorm that's parked between me and the bar.