"Pardon My English" - June 4, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

sanmilton wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:00 pm
femullen wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:51 am (2,1)(4,8)(2,5)(6,7)(5,3)(8,2)(1,8)
I think you mean (6,8)(1,3)(2,8)(1,7)(4,1)(4,5)(7,4)(1,3)(8,1)(2,6)(3,4), but I'm not sure! :P
These two posts, along with this week's puzzle, remind me of my favorite advice regarding the dreaded numbers in parentheses.
Prozach

Post by Prozach »

Beautiful...and on shore, after being thrown a few floaties to get me there. Nevertheless, enjoyed it.
DannyWalter

Post by DannyWalter »

Once again, this is beyond my feeble skills. I thought I had an aha moment, but it only works for half the clues, and even then I don't know what I would do with it. I can't stop staring at it though. Anyone online care to give me a nudge?
Bonnibel

Post by Bonnibel »

Oh man I am really trying but continue to paddle around in circles. I thought this morning's mimosas on the lake would help! I am now back to the puzzle but none of the many things I observe make sense with those numbers. I need a bit of help to get back on course..
🌴🍹
ReB

Post by ReB »

On shore at last.

I was headed in the right direction for a couple of days, but thick fog impeded my progress. Suddenly the fog lifted this afternoon and I could see my way clearly. Definitely a 100%er.
Flying_Burrito

Post by Flying_Burrito »

I finally controlled the parenthesis phobia and solved this one. All I can say is that being an 'international' man of mystery helped me this time around. I had to dig in from some HS class a while back to weave the answer together, and probably this is all I can say in terms of clues
Senor Guaca Mole :mrgreen:
Flying_Burrito

Post by Flying_Burrito »

Scott M wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:19 pm Back from the literal shore (Pine Knoll Shores, NC) and am now on the the figurative shore. Would never have made it if not for the archive! Count me as part of the 75% club who needed to backsolve to find my initial error.
Pine KnolS shores, wow thank you for that flash back. Last time I was there was in '99, riding Hurricane Floyd. The stupidest thing I have ever done (that year...)
Senor Guaca Mole :mrgreen:
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

Finally made it to shore gasping and cramping. Thanks to Wendy for letting me know I was on the right track. This was the most satisfying solve I have had. Beer me please. Make it a guiness.
zacmoretz

Post by zacmoretz »

When we saw that all you smarty-pants gave this on a 3 1/2, we decided to quit cracking our heads and enjoy Isaac’s company for the rest of the weekend.
Limerick Savant

Post by Limerick Savant »

Came home from the shore on Saturday and finished the grid last night and found the mechanism this morning but unsure of which shore to swim to and can’t find a definitive clue to resolve the dilemma. So given the date, I am opting to make land on the first of two choices. Will explain in verse tomorrow.
Dedicated to no nonsense nonsense
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Limerick Savant wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:36 pm Came home from the shore on Saturday and finished the grid last night and found the mechanism this morning but unsure of which shore to swim to and can’t find a definitive clue to resolve the dilemma. So given the date, I am opting to make land on the first of two choices. Will explain in verse tomorrow.
Ah. You are undoubtedly mentioning the issue I have, which I was surprised I hadn't seen other posts referencing. So thanks!
steveb

Post by steveb »

zacmoretz wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:20 pm When we saw that all you smarty-pants gave this on a 3 1/2, we decided to quit cracking our heads and enjoy Isaac’s company for the rest of the weekend.
I gave it a 4, and that was after I solved it.
Franklin.Bluth

Post by Franklin.Bluth »

I gave it a 4 after solving. To me a 5 is one of those that are essentially impossible; even after reading the "explanation" I still don't fully understand how they got there. This one is certainly solveable, but it requires more steps than you'd expect and some might give up on, say, step 2 when there are still 2 or 3 more.
boharr

Post by boharr »

HunterX wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:46 pm
Limerick Savant wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:36 pm Came home from the shore on Saturday and finished the grid last night and found the mechanism this morning but unsure of which shore to swim to and can’t find a definitive clue to resolve the dilemma. So given the date, I am opting to make land on the first of two choices. Will explain in verse tomorrow.
Ah. You are undoubtedly mentioning the issue I have, which I was surprised I hadn't seen other posts referencing. So thanks!
It's been bandied about quietly.
Colin

Post by Colin »

JaneGummy wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:29 pm Despite a nice nudge, I'm still lost at sea, maybe too busy with my rescue babies so I'm okay with missing this week
download/file.php?id=2940

My money’s on the cat wearing the trousers in this trio of Mouseketeers! See the size of those paws!!

As for me… lost at sea this week unless a blinding light hits me before twelve bells. Ooo … 12 Bells, now there’s a thought! ;)
Last edited by Colin on Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One world. One planet. One future.
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

This is the first weekend I’ve had with extended family in Westchester County in over a year. It’s not an excuse, but it is part of the reason I am still on the boat; the other part is that the meta seems impossibly difficult. Still, giving it one more shot before I call it a night with Isaac.
Limerick Savant

Post by Limerick Savant »

boharr wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:16 pm
Nice to know I am not the only one feeling the pull of that rabbit hole.
Dedicated to no nonsense nonsense
PHOFER

Post by PHOFER »

Ack--numbers in parentheses! On shore after figuring out the method, with complete confidence in the answer, but I am missing one element in the means to get there. I will be interested to see what I missed. Great puzzle, Matt!

EDITED
No sooner than I posted I found the missing link. Solved and solved.
Last edited by PHOFER on Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Limerick Savant wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:48 pm
boharr wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:16 pm

Nice to know I am not the only one feeling the pull of that rabbit hole.
I "thought" that I was on shore. Now you have me worried. Three hours and I (and we) will all know!
periperi

Post by periperi »

I think I'm ready for a nudge. Don't have too much.