"Pardon My English" - June 4, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
802puzzler

Post by 802puzzler »

Finished the grid on Thursday, but nothing jumped out at me regarding the parentheses. So Friday I was able to finish MGWCC ๐Ÿ˜Š, and now I've come back for a deeper dive here. At least I have more than a day left to study the archives!
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

Finally made it ashore last night. It's been a rough week overall and I was in a complete fog when it came to puzzles. But, got through WSJ and MMMM last night finally and fingers crossed I'm headed into a better week next week. Plus, getting my weeding done before the sun cleared the south side of the house this morning was a bonus as we head into the 90s again today.
rosiegirl

Post by rosiegirl »

Can't believe this puzzle is only rated a 2! Am I to believe that only 1 person has submitted a rating? Will someone please submit a review at a higher number so that I don't feel so inept? I am totally lost at sea!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

rosiegirl wrote: โ†‘Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:07 pm Can't believe this puzzle is only rated a 2! Am I to believe that only 1 person has submitted a rating? Will someone please submit a review at a higher number so that I don't feel so inept? I am totally lost at sea!
It's rated at 3.5.

Per @Eric Porter 's excellent directions, do a hard refresh.

Windows: ctrl + reload
Mac: shift + reload
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
rosiegirl

Post by rosiegirl »

Joe Ross wrote: โ†‘Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:13 pm
rosiegirl wrote: โ†‘Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:07 pm Can't believe this puzzle is only rated a 2! Am I to believe that only 1 person has submitted a rating? Will someone please submit a review at a higher number so that I don't feel so inept? I am totally lost at sea!
It's rated at 3.5.

Per @Eric Porter 's excellent directions, do a hard refresh.

Windows: ctrl + reload
Mac: shift + reload
Thanks! Now I don't feel so bad! :lol:
jrdad

Post by jrdad »

Thanks, Joe. That was news to me. GTK.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

jrdad wrote: โ†‘Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:52 pm Thanks, Joe. That was news to me. GTK.
You're welcome. I was reminded of this simple procedure by @Eric Porter after I suggested a convoluted method of clearing cookies, etc., to achieve the same thing.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
agatha

Post by agatha »

Lost at sea and swimming in circles. Can someone spare a nudge?
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

Oh my gosh! Just got this with help from my friend. It took both of us to put it together. Fabulous puzzle/meta. Very satisfying!!
Bob, please count me ASHORE.
KFB

Post by KFB »

Pardon my (English) stupidity, which is the only stupidity I'm fluent in, although this could be in another language without changing my understanding of where to proceed with the meta. (the best two numbers to describe my condition are (8,6).) A nudge to help me head toward the light would be meta-life saving.
Thanks in advance.
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

Oh my gosh! Just got this with help from my friend. It took both of us to put it together. Fabulous puzzle/meta. Very satisfying!!
Bob, please count me ASHORE.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

I rated it higher than a 2.
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Guess whoโ€˜s on the shore? Iโ€˜ll have a pomegranate margarita, no salt! and some ๐Ÿ˜Ž

with thanks to my nudgors!

happy to pass on a nudge - just tell me where you are with it.
Last edited by SReh26 on Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

Definitely had a premature "aha" moment or two... I thought I had gotten over my fear of the dreaded numbers in the clues but apparently not. At least I have another day. Happy weekend everyone.
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Cindy N wrote: โ†‘Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:59 pm Finally made it ashore last night. It's been a rough week overall and I was in a complete fog when it came to puzzles. But, got through WSJ and MMMM last night finally and fingers crossed I'm headed into a better week next week. Plus, getting my weeding done before the sun cleared the south side of the house this morning was a bonus as we head into the 90s again today.
I had a rough week too. The Onion online has a hilarious piece today about this fubar week. Itโ€˜s good for comic relief at least!
Anita

Post by Anita »

Got it after a nudge. Had the right method but didn't take it far enough. Nice construction!
Ann

Post by Ann »

Ashore!
SingleMalt

Post by SingleMalt »

Ack!

The shore is quickly disappearing below the horizon. I think I am close but the hull was breached when I ran into the brackets of doom.

No sense letting the good scotch get diluted so I poured myself a few fingers of Port Charlotte even though I have not yet earned it by figuring out the Meta.

This mechanic gives me the heebie-jeebies. After the correct answer is revealed any general tips and perhaps a few examples of "bracket puzzles" would be a helpful post.

Congrats to all who made it; well done!
RDaleHall

Post by RDaleHall »

Still with Isaac so far and feeling a lot of Gaffney Gulp looking for the right path. More staring ahead.
otlaolap

Post by otlaolap »

Ashore in Yachats, Oregon, after a dark and stormy trip. This solve pleases me immensely -- for me it is the hardest one I've done (correctly). Illuminates the truth of what the oldies on this board say: that the more you do the more you see. [There must be an antonym for "newbies".]
20210605_150551.jpg