"Pardon My English" - June 4, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Janet

Post by Janet »

Made it ashore just now. Yesterday I was stuck on a sandbar. I suspect others must have gotten stuck on the same sandbar, but the only advice I have is to revisit your assumptions.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Seated on a stool at the bar with Isaac despite many, many attempts to get started. The way to use the numbers in parentheses seemed obvious until I tried to use them that way.

I have given up three times but keep coming back. I still have almost two days left. Maybe inspiration will hit.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

hashbrownoholic wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:16 am My puzzling notebook looks like a pen crime scene at this point :D
Crime scene photos post-reveal, please!
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Lost at sea! Thought I knew what to do, tried several things .... but nothing! I’m in KC this weekend visiting my youngest and feeling frustrated with this puzzle! maybe more drinks will help....
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

I have made it -
ASHORE -

- which in this case is that of the Potomac River during our friends and family road trip.

Lovely lunch yesterday at Ada's on the River in Old Town Alexandria, which "draws inspiration from the ingenuity of Ada Lovelace, one of the greatest mathematicians of the 19th century."
CaptureAdas.PNG
@Al Sisti will be glad to know there is a concoction on the drinks menu named The Lord Byron.
otlaolap

Post by otlaolap »

Very strong rabbits pulling me this way and that and then leaving me firmly tired up on the boat.
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

I'm ON SHORE. I can't wait to read Monday's comments!!
Sara
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

LAS. SOS.
mlvilv

Post by mlvilv »

Well count me ashore but that's only because multiple people pulled me onto their boat and drove me in. This one was way beyond me at this point but I just keep hoping that each week builds more resources so that I can finally become a consistent solver!
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

mlvilv wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:16 am Well count me ashore but that's only because multiple people pulled me onto their boat and drove me in. This one was way beyond me at this point but I just keep hoping that each week builds more resources so that I can finally become a consistent solver!
Honestly, when we first started doing these we never thought we would be able to figure the more complicated ones out... Even though there are 2 of us. And yet we definitely have progressed. You are surely on your way.
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
C=64

Post by C=64 »

Regarding 40A:
1. This is the closest city to my hometown; we'd have to drive for 40 minutes to see a movie or eat fast food. 😕
2. In New Hampshire, any town with a population over roughly 10,000 is considered a city. 😃
DaveKennison

Post by DaveKennison »

Ashore (somewhat to my surprise). Once again, I didn’t have a lot of time to spend on this one until last night. Got nowhere with it then, but took another look at it this morning and finally worked it out. It’ll be nice to have the rest of the weekend off ... 😜.

After I mailed in my answer, it occurred to me that there is another acceptable answer. I kind of think/hope that either would satisfy the judges. We’ll see ... 🤨.
Last edited by DaveKennison on Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
billkatz

Post by billkatz »

Solved and submitted...
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

mlvilv wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:16 am Well count me ashore but that's only because multiple people pulled me onto their boat and drove me in. This one was way beyond me at this point but I just keep hoping that each week builds more resources so that I can finally become a consistent solver!
I like your thinking! That positive attitude will go a long way in getting you to your solving consistency goal. When I first started doing metas, I would NEVER have gotten one like this. As a matter of fact, I'm still a little surprised I found the path to the solution this morning. :lol: Looking at past puzzles also helped me to figure out what to do. Many, many thanks to @Joe Ross and @steveb for making that possible!!
Sara
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Saturday morning muggles

First, welcome to our newest muggles - CarolynSW, BackHomeInKY, and bwouns

A very clever meta by Matt which is reflected in our numbers. We have 17 on the ship and 113 on the shore.

Drinking with Isaac are
PatentlyGator
sharkicicles
SReh26
cbarbee
Scott M
Josh
Zach
Homer
Henry Paul
minimuggle
Commodore
otlaolap
hashbrownoholic
JeanneC
Ergcat
lbary
hunkra

And on the shore are:
Wendy
Kay
Al
oldjudge
Chris
Beth T
Jace54
markhr
Meg
Cindy
RobM
ajk
sanmilton
Eric P
stmv
Joe R
Bird Lives
Eric C
Mike H
boharr
mattythewsjpuzzler
Tom Mueller
RPardoe
Laura
Andrew B
Heidi
darth
Steveb
Omnibus
CPJohnson
bskptkl
CallMeShane
DannyCincinatti
Franklin
Beth A
Georgeall
Magistra
TeamDoubleTow
HeadinHome
edot
Lacangah
ky-mike
D B Miller
Mister Squawk
dk letter
streroto
MamaE
Miki
Jordanian
joe
BrennerTJ
Schmeel
Toby
LittleGood
Tmart
MatthewL
docison
meowmiao71
jimmyd
BackHomeInKY
bwouns
Dannyvee
jrdad
auee89
mheverson
Doc
ladybird
Cosmo
Barbara K
Dan A
31 Down
Les
DrTom
Moi
NuYear68
copperriver
TeaJenny
Tom Wi
Big Mac
Carolyn SW
C=64
Dave C
ALS
Beth C
Diane
kamashdas
Peter L
Rita and George
horsesense
MaineMarge
FirstMax
Kris Zacharias
SusieG
Patty
Mmac
dplass
SilviaV
Janet
ImOnToo
whimsy
Dow Jones
escapeartist
Phil and Kelli
mlvilv
Hidden in 3D
Ben B and son
David K
femullen - I think because I did not have the time to decipher his numbers in parenthesis. But I assumed that no one would spend the time coming up with the numbers if they were not on the shore. LOL
Cap'n Rick
Olof
Bill
Daniel G
TheCatt

Good luck to everyone
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
tigerfly222

Post by tigerfly222 »

Whew! Got it. I'm on shore.
For me, this one was just brute force and rabbit holes until one of them turned out to be the right one.

Cheers!
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Thought I had it. Made the big jump, clearly the right path but foiled by numbers. Usually I get them but not seeing it. I'll watch volleyball for awhile and try to clear my head.
cheryl w

Post by cheryl w »

Lost at sea. Always have a mental block on those numbers in parentheses!
Janet

Post by Janet »

JoeS wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:24 pm Thought I had it. Made the big jump, clearly the right path but foiled by numbers. Usually I get them but not seeing it. I'll watch volleyball for awhile and try to clear my head.
That may do it! I solved the meta by leaving it alone and coming back to it.
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

Count me ashore. I didn't want to post until I was 100% sure. Tougher one for sure!