"Cooking By The Numbers" - May 28, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

sanmilton wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:19 pm I must come clean and admit that although I solved the puzzle, I missed its brilliant finer points, including the single use of each of the Roman numerals in the grid and their exclusive use to begin each clue.

For no justifiable reason, I decided that the theme entries were the five omitting JOINS and ROMAN, and that I needed, as "Step 1," the first letter of RAW NERVES, the second of SEXTANTS, the third of EGGLESS, the fourth of SARACENS, and the fifth of ATE AND RAN, and then I decided, for "Step 2" that the resulting REGAN was "egg"-less, or at least O-less, so I added one at either end for the solution. Coincidentally, my misguided method yielded the same letters as the ones next to the Roman numerals, except that I selected the R in RAW rather than the one by the V in NERVES.

Anyway, that's my true confession for the week.
It blows my mind that you took a completely different approach but still got the same result. 🤯
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

REMINDER: The weekly muggle zoom meeting has a new link. ALL ARE WELCOME.

Muggle Weekly Meeting
Tuesdays, 7:30 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join the Muggle Weekly Zoom Meeting

Meeting ID: 830 5701 0873

Passcode: 707028

You should not need the meeting ID nor the passcode.

Bob will be signed-on early, tonight, so if you have any problems, PM Bob and he will help work them out.
MikeMillerwsj

Post by MikeMillerwsj »

Hope you all had a lovely Memorial Day weekend, and more success with this challenging contest than your faithful correspondent! We had 1382 entries, and hats off to the higher-than-usual 86% who got it right. Other guesses included RAW EGG (20, spotting those words in two long entries), YEAST (17, also zigzagging alluringly in the grid), BATTER (9), OLIVE OIL (6), DILL (6), and sundry others.

Congrats to this week's winner: Eric Richter of Signal Mountain, Tenn.!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

SReh26 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:14 pm
Streroto wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:00 am I too started by noticing the clues and that rapidly led me to noticing the Roman numerals in the grid. I treaded water there for a short while halfway ashore. On a brief bathroom break, a source of inspiration pointed out by DrTom in the MGWCC forum, the final click came. I walked up to the puzzle and wrote out the answer. My daughter in law asked incredulously “did you just solve that?”. Yes I did. So like post enlightenment we need a term for this if not already extant. DrTom?
Streroto,

yes, in street vernacular, we call this a “swoosh!”
Is that like the Nike "swoosh" - makes you look at "Just Do It!" in a whole different way.....
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

DrTom wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:42 pm
Streroto wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:00 am I too started by noticing the clues and that rapidly led me to noticing the Roman numerals in the grid. I treaded water there for a short while halfway ashore. On a brief bathroom break, a source of inspiration pointed out by DrTom in the MGWCC forum, the final click came. I walked up to the puzzle and wrote out the answer. My daughter in law asked incredulously “did you just solve that?”. Yes I did. So like post enlightenment we need a term for this if not already extant. DrTom?
Streroto,

Is that like the Nike "swoosh" - makes you look at "Just Do It!" in a whole different way.....
It’s the basketball swoosh. Impressing your daughter with your brilliance is akin to making a shot in basketball that is so perfect it doesn’t even hit the rim. One yells, “swoosh!” Perfect. Any basketballers who can confirm?

Maybe we need to have an subcommittee of urban Muggles?
flyingMoose

Post by flyingMoose »

SReh26 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:15 pm It’s the basketball swoosh. Impressing your daughter with your brilliance is akin to making a shot in basketball that is so perfect it doesn’t even hit the rim. One yells, “swoosh!” Perfect. Any basketballers who can confirm?
It has always been "swish" to me, and I have never heard of "swoosh." Maybe it is a regional thing.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

SReh26 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:15 pm

Streroto,

It’s the basketball swoosh. Impressing your daughter with your brilliance is akin to making a shot in basketball that is so perfect it doesn’t even hit the rim. One yells, “swoosh!” Perfect. Any basketballers who can confirm?

Just for everyone's edification, the Urban Dictionary has a rather specific definition of this term.....
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

DrTom wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:28 pm

Just for everyone's edification, the Urban Dictionary has a rather specific definition of this term.....
Omg... sorry everyone! I guess its swish. My basketball days were decades ago... senior moment!
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Congrats to winner, Eric.
Good things come to those who wait. I’m waiting...🤗...
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
Zagman49

Post by Zagman49 »

SReh26 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:32 pm

Omg... sorry everyone! I guess its swish. My basketball days were decades ago... senior moment!
Then there's...NBN...nothing but net!
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Zagman49 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:29 pm
SReh26 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:32 pm

Then there's...NBN...nothing but net!
I distinctly remember “BRICK!” (meaning a bad shot hitting between the rim and baseboard). I was MVP, high scorer and co-captain of my HS team one year! Those were the days. 6 varsity letters: outdoor track, BB and cross country.
Kris Zacharias

Post by Kris Zacharias »

DrTom wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:11 am
Wendy Walker wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:24 am
What about "mic drop" (mic being short for micturition)?
Though I certainly do like MICturition Drop it is way too politically correct. As you might imagine I have several suggestions:
Elimination Illumination (or Elucidation)
Streaming the answer
Poop Scoop
Got to the bottom of it
Cracking the case
Shower Power
A Brush with success
Dental Decipher
How about Loo-cid moment?
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

SReh26 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:25 pm I was MVP, high scorer and co-captain of my HS team one year! Those were the days. 6 varsity letters: outdoor track, BB and cross country.
How very coincidental...I got 6 letters in High School, though they were from the principal and assorted teachers. They suggested I should be tracked when outdoors, that I had a brain like a BB and that the best place for me would be cross country. So very similar with slight differences.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Kris Zacharias wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:29 pm

Though I certainly do like MICturition Drop it is way too politically correct. As you might imagine I have several suggestions:
Streaming the answer
Poop Scoop
Got to the bottom of it
Cracking the case
Shower Power
A Brush with success
Dental Decipher
Or WC Fielding?
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

I like Sit and Solve. Easily corrupted into $#!+ and Solve. Much like poker's Sit and Go tournaments 😁
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

DBMiller wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:04 pm I like Sit and Solve. Easily corrupted into $#!+ and Solve. Much like poker's Sit and Go tournaments 😁
In college, after a sincere night of attempting to empty several kegs, we had an expression for some of the next day's activities.

Inca

Post by Inca »

Kris Zacharias wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:29 pm

Streaming the answer
Poop Scoop
Got to the bottom of it
Cracking the case
Shower Power
A Brush with success
Dental Decipher
It's a little lengthy, but I like: By process of elimination
Limerick Savant

Post by Limerick Savant »

Joe Ross wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:15 pm
DBMiller wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:04 pm I like Sit and Solve. Easily corrupted into $#!+ and Solve. Much like poker's Sit and Go tournaments 😁
In college, after a sincere night of attempting to empty several kegs, we had an expression for some of the next day's activities.

That is our dog when she wants to take a walk.
Dedicated to no nonsense nonsense