"Cooking By The Numbers" - May 28, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Rufus T. Firefly
wordsmith

Post by wordsmith »

MikeM000 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:08 pm I would love a post-vacation nudge if anyone is feeling friendly. I have 2 discovered elements that are definitely related but they don't produce sensical results....
I'm in the same boat -- 2, maybe 3 possible elements -- but none that "add" up. :lol: Nudge appreciated!
wordsmith

Post by wordsmith »

wordsmith wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 9:26 pm
MikeM000 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:08 pm I would love a post-vacation nudge if anyone is feeling friendly. I have 2 discovered elements that are definitely related but they don't produce sensical results....
I'm in the same boat -- 2, maybe 3 possible elements -- but none that "add" up. :lol: Nudge appreciated!
On shore...I was so close! Thanks to everyone for offering to pull me in so quickly!
Jarrod

Post by Jarrod »

Ashore! I really enjoyed the puzzle this week. Magnificent!
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

What in the world? I am on shore. Boy, did I overthink that one! Very impressed with the construction and a little confused.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

femullen wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 7:32 am When I read that Dplass was giving up, I thought I might as well give up too, because he solves these things way more often than I do. Two and a half days of stupidly staring was just keeping me from more productive ways to waste time. Out of complete and utter desperation, I tried one more attack, and i am...

ASHORE.

This is one of those puzzles of which I'd ordinarily say on Monday morning, "I'd have never thought of that." I am still in awe of you who solve this stuff in literally five minutes.
Glad that you got it.

But don't let that Dplass guy inspire you to give up. He's just a grumpy old man who can't accept the fact that others can "do things" better or before him and puts an inordinate portion of self-worth on his ability to "do things".

And I should know, because he is me.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Our final count is 12 on the ship and 184 on the shore

Since noon Annabelle and Scott L have joined the party in the ship's bar

And the crowded shore has increased by

MamaE
EVJ
Cosmo
ADS
BreeZynCO
WSJosh
Jack
tigerfly222
Wordsmith
cinny
tonyrobots
Jarrod
and our long lost Diana - welcome back
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
burak

Post by burak »

burak wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 11:27 am The steps are too obvious with this one but I can't seem to make anything of it. If anything, there are too many clues/things happening. This might be another THOUSAND ISLAND DRESSING where I go "oh damn that's the one simple thing I didn't do and of course that would've lead to the answer".
Glad I kept looking and I'm finally ashore, but I can't say I liked this one. Gets too cute with stuff that has zero pay off in the end.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 10:26 pm
and our long lost Diana - welcome back
^^^This.
zacmoretz

Post by zacmoretz »

Just arrived on the beach! Tough one! Amazing construction!
Limerick Savant

Post by Limerick Savant »

Made it ashore at the last minute

Oh yes and now that I got it, I agree that it was an amazing construction. Probably not built in a day. 😉
Last edited by Limerick Savant on Mon May 31, 2021 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dedicated to no nonsense nonsense
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

20210528 CbtN solution.png
Limerick Savant

Post by Limerick Savant »

Oh yes and now that I got it, I agree that it was an amazing construction. Probably not built in a day. 😉
Dedicated to no nonsense nonsense
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Happy Memorial Day to everyone & much appreciation & deep thanks to those who have served. Remember our fallen!
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
lacangah

Post by lacangah »

This was the first time that I was able to call the answer (correctly!) before solving it, but I was influenced by this 'crossword puzzle' opening scene -

- I've been waiting since last Thursday evening to share :-)
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

I failed to solve this, and the biggest reason is the extremely large red herring of using only the 7 Roman numerals to begin each and every clue.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Jeremy Smith wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 12:11 am I failed to solve this, and the biggest reason is the extremely large red herring of using only the 7 Roman numerals to begin each and every clue.
I solved it after abandoning that ENORMOUS red herring. I had a very hard time ignoring it, but finally decided it was just window dressing.
Heidi
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

lacangah wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 12:07 am This was the first time that I was able to call the answer (correctly!) before solving it, but I was influenced by this 'crossword puzzle' opening scene -

- I've been waiting since last Thursday evening to share :-)
That’s hilarious!
Heidi
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

With the passing of the Captain, here is a cruise line safety video with the crew that is great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyWMkOW55g0
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
otlaolap

Post by otlaolap »

Was lucky on this one. After mulling all the food words in the grid for a while, and getting no farther along than getting hungry, I considered the title word "Numbers" and the significantly located grid answer "Roman" for a bit. Then it leapt off the page at me: all the clues began with a Roman number letter! After a small side trip to badger my wife with this marvelous discovery, I wondered if a similar mechanism might appear in the grid. Got out the highlighter, and found that, no, it doesn't. But wait -- each letter appeared only once! What do the next letters spell? NETTERA. Oh drat. But I am getting better at this, because it didn't take too long for me to wonder what the preceding letters spelled. OREGANO. Another trip to bother my wife. Then, finally, I noticed that the Roman letters in the grid ascended in strict sequence by their position in the grid. One more trip to show this marvel to the poor woman, who was trying to do some work, and off the email went. Kudos to the constructor.

[edit - fixed typo]
Last edited by otlaolap on Mon May 31, 2021 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.