"Cooking By The Numbers" - May 28, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
KayW

Post by KayW »

MajordomoTom wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:36 pm
KayW wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:15 pm :desert_island: :tropical_drink: Onshore.

It looks like the Al 'Gebra gang has been COOKING BY THE NUMBERS.

MathLab.jpg

I heard that the local law enforcement played an integral part in preventing derivatives of the drugs from hitting the streets and also found several weapons of math destruction.

I think police laid a trap-azoid for them. Plus I see graph paper. They must be plotting something.
can't argue with spell checker, so it must be right.

I don't think they're brewing with all digits intact. Something's not rational.
Oh, but I did argue with spell-checker LOL. I attributed the angry red line to the dash in trap-ezoid. But this was a MATH lab after all, not a SPELLING lab. OTOH I could make an irrational excuse that I was replacing the "e" with an "a" to parallel the MATH LAB typo. Yeah, yeah, that's my story.

Oh. Doh! You were talking about MATH, not TRAP-AZOID? :lol:
Last edited by KayW on Fri May 28, 2021 12:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

DrTom wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:13 am
Dplass wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 9:46 am
DrTom wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 7:38 am I think a lot of people have the same frustration with this puzzle. A LOT of folks saw the initial step quickly and then.... That is exactly what happened to me but then while brushing my teeth I had an "OF COURSE" moment and immediately had to go into the den to get on the computer (accompanied by my wife's REALLY?) since it was late and I had to get up early this AM.

Anyway, keep at it, and do not over complicate things. You have been given everything you need you just have to put it together. You might want to try going and brushing your teeth?

Oh, and if your answer is tentative or unsatisfying you have probably done it wrong, this is as neat an clear as any puzzle I've seen.
I had the same experience, except in the shower. I hurried out got dressed and BAM! Wrong rabbit hole. Crap.
Get back in that shower and brush your teeth?
Ew.
TMart

Post by TMart »

SewYoung wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:15 pm
TMart wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 6:40 pm Wow - very impressed with this one. And I was literally on the beach when I solved it.

Looks like a beautiful Gulf Coast beach. Wish I was there.
South Jersey shore actually. I’m glad I got a beach day on Thursday, because the rest of the weekend looks like a washout.
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

seahawks_seashanty wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 12:14 am After a sad two weeks, finally ashore! Definitely needed to uncomplicate things to see the answer.
Right there with you! Finally feeling the sand between my toes after 2 weeks. Not that I don’t appreciate Isaac’s company and good fellowship, but If I was at the bar one more week I was afraid I would have a stool named after me.

The rest of the weekend is mine while remembering
all those who fought to keep it that way.🇺🇸
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

KayW wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 12:26 pm
MajordomoTom wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:36 pm
KayW wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:15 pm :desert_island: :tropical_drink: Onshore.

It looks like the Al 'Gebra gang has been COOKING BY THE NUMBERS.

MathLab.jpg

I heard that the local law enforcement played an integral part in preventing derivatives of the drugs from hitting the streets and also found several weapons of math destruction.

I think police laid a trap-azoid for them. Plus I see graph paper. They must be plotting something.
can't argue with spell checker, so it must be right.

I don't think they're brewing with all digits intact. Something's not rational.
Oh, but I did argue with spell-checker LOL. I attributed the angry red line to the dash in trap-ezoid. But this was a MATH lab after all, not a SPELLING lab. OTOH I could make an irrational excuse that I was replacing the "e" with an "a" to parallel the MATH LAB typo. Yeah, yeah, that's my story.

Oh. Doh! You were talking about MATH, not TRAP-AZOID? :lol:
Congrats on your new identity as a trap queen.
Jay
Hamrock

Post by Hamrock »

I got it right away! Hurray! My hubby is glad as he says I get grumpy if I cant get it. Haha
Julie
Doc

Post by Doc »

Finally ashore...took me longer than it should have.
dk letter

Post by dk letter »

On shore! What a remarkable construction!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Finally had time to sit down and work the meta before the herd shows up. On shore with an amazing construction

My avatar this week is dedicated to all who have served their country and especially for all who have given their all. This photo is the US cemetery in Normandy
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Guy

Post by Guy »

On Shore!!!! I just love an "aha".
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

On shore after missing last week (my third miss this year...as many as I missed in 2019 and 2020 combined :( ).
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Wendy Walker wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 12:09 pm
HunterX wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 11:37 am
Given the title of the puzzle, I'm now remembering the Seinfeld episode where Kramer has Putty install a disposal in his shower so he can make dinner while showering...
Hunter X, it is scary how often I am in sync with you -- I was about to post a link to the "Germ-a-Phobe" meeting!
Well, given Unionville is at 40º 54' N 77º 52' W, and Center City Philly is 39º 57' N 75º 9' W, we shouldn't be too far off from each other.

And perhaps there's a connection between us.

...called the Schuylkill River, as both locations are on it. I can see it now if I look out my window. Can you see it? Perhaps ideas and concepts float between the two of us, sending cosmic vibrations that align our mental patterns and sync the thoughts and ideas that we.... oh, wait... It's just trash and silt in the river. Never mind.
Jeanrosz

Post by Jeanrosz »

Solved! With a nudge..but on shore!
JaneGummy

Post by JaneGummy »

On the beach with the correct answer, validated via PM, but I took a very different route to the answer, I'll be curious on Monday to see if others did as well.

New babies have settled in well, acting like litter mates. 😊
Attachments
Pup and kitten
Pup and kitten
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

SOOOOO MANY complicated rabbit holes before I found the much simpler solution. My grid is a cacophony of multiple highlighter colors, calculations, cross-references, etc., all of which got me nowhere. Curse you Mike Shenk, you evil genius!
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
iggystan

Post by iggystan »

On shore, on the coast of CO.
PeterLeea1a

Post by PeterLeea1a »

On shore. Wow.
Homer Buckle

Post by Homer Buckle »

Took another look before bedtime last night and saw the answer. Glad to be ashore for the long weekend.
JennyByrd

Post by JennyByrd »

I’m happy to report that I’m onshore, after a long detour chasing deceptive rabbits who were scampering about. Also, for the bird lovers here, I’m attaching a photo of my daughter and an owlet that fell from the nest in a recent storm. Rescue groups were consulted, the owlet was placed in a basket high up in the tree, and we believe it was reunited with its mother as the basket was empty the next day.
Attachments
17825252-21CC-4EBC-8C46-25108E8AB0D4.jpeg
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

I am on shore, after going on detours too numerous to mention.
Cynthia