"Aftermath" - September 17, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Limerick Savant

Post by Limerick Savant »

Dplass wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:27 pm
michaelm wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:07 pm I, for one, was not triggered by any of the possible spoilers this past weekend.
sined,
michaelm
At least you didn't go off on any tangents.
I’ll cosine that if I may. No rabbit holes for me either because we all know that what we think we secant always be the correct path to the meta.
Dedicated to no nonsense nonsense
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Re: engineers, I’ll never get over not getting the MGWCC one where the answer was “APP DEVELOPER” because, eh, guess what I’ve been doing for a living the last 12 years.

Re: spoilers, jokes on you guys, I’ve been embedding the answers as the first letter of each word in my posts for months.

don’t actually spend any time looking into that. I didn’t. It’s a joke.
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

boharr wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:54 pm I think that now we have successfully proven that, among Muggles, engineers outnumber gardeners.
How about us gardeners AND cooks??
5E1AECE6-2546-4E01-87C6-F9E866D85CE2.jpeg
JordanianTomlinson

Post by JordanianTomlinson »

Dplass wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:59 pm
JordanianTomlinson wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:14 pm Ah, my calculus cheer. Courtesy of Mr. Runyan of Shawnee Mission East (still one of my favorite teachers of all time):

E to the u, du dx, e to the x, dx
Secant, cosine, tangent, sine, 3.14159
Integral, radical, mu, dv
Calculus forever, S.M.E.!
Or, "Slipstick, sliderule, MIT!" as we used to say.

https://web.mit.edu/track/outdoor/beaver.html
Aye! Mr. Runyan had said something along the lines of "with apologies to M.I.T."
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

JordanianTomlinson wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:35 am
JordanianTomlinson wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:14 pm Ah, my calculus cheer. Courtesy of Mr. Runyan of Shawnee Mission East (still one of my favorite teachers of all time):

Aye! Mr. Runyan had said something along the lines of "with apologies to M.I.T."
To be honest, that cheer was from before my time at the 'Tute. We used calculators (the "new" HP-28C was the holy grail at the time.)
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Bob cruise director wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:04 pm
JAQT wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:55 am
mntlblok wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:43 am

While I hold EE's in highest esteem, whenever I encounter one, I ask if they know of Oliver Heaviside. You'll be the first if you do. :-)
Oliver Heaviside, inventor of the step function whose derivative is the Dirac delta function.

In fairness, although my graduate degree was EE, my undergrad was math. But why do you think that EEs won't know Oliver Heaviside? The responses to step and impulse functions are critical analytical tools.
I got involved with the Heaviside Layer (now known at the E layer of the ionosphere) when I was doing Over the Horizon Radars.
I'm sorry, but I see the words "Heaviside Layer" and I immediately think of Cats (the musical). And now I can't get the song "Memory" out of my head.
Matthew
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

boharr wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:54 pm I think that now we have successfully proven that, among Muggles, engineers outnumber gardeners.
However one can be both
Robert Stevens 21Sep21  7D Mark II 2888.jpg
Robert Stevens 21Sep21  7D Mark II 2893.jpg
Robert Stevens 21Sep21  7D Mark II 2892.jpg
Robert Stevens 21Sep21  7D Mark II 2896.jpg
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
hoover

Post by hoover »

♫ Moses supposes his toeses are roses, but Moses supposes erroneously. Moses, he knowses his toeses aren't roses, as Moses supposes his toeses to be. ♫

Not sure why that just popped into my head.

But if any gardeners have sunflowers, check the blossoms for Fibonacci numbers in the number of clockwise and counterclockwise rows of sections.
mikeB

Post by mikeB »

Maybe the gulf between gardening and engineering is not so large. After all, they're both considered STEM subjects.

But seriously, speaking of STEM, given the surging popularity of metas, it is easy to envision some world-class university establishing a groundbreaking program of study in Metamathics. Of course, there would be two branches: Pure Metamathics (for constructors) and Applied Metamathics (for solvers). (Or is it the other way around?) Pure Metamathics could cover such subjects as Cluelean Algebra, Eugridean Geometry, and Synomymbolic Logic. Applied topics might include Prahabability Theory and Orabbital Mechanics. Imagine the satisfaction of being the first in one’s family studying Metamathics, and then graduating . . . yes . . . mugna cum laude!
boharr

Post by boharr »

mikeB wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:02 pm
Maybe the gulf between gardening and engineering is not so large. After all, they're both considered STEM subjects.

But seriously, speaking of STEM, given the surging popularity of metas, it is easy to envision some world-class university establishing a groundbreaking program of study in Metamathics. Of course, there would be two branches: Pure Metamathics (for constructors) and Applied Metamathics (for solvers). (Or is it the other way around?) Pure Metamathics could cover such subjects as Cluelean Algebra, Eugridean Geometry, and Synomymbolic Logic. Applied topics might include Prahabability Theory and Orabbital Mechanics. Imagine the satisfaction of being the first in one’s family studying Metamathics, and then graduating . . . yes . . . mugna cum laude!
Wait till @DrTom sees this!
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:14 pm Here is the link to the zoom talk on Friday with Matt Gaffney and Pete Muller - creator of the Monthly Muller Music Meta. A great time,

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/65hbcx416ct3 ... e7rla?dl=0

There are three files here: 1) the video of the screen, 2) only the audio of the conversations and 3) a text file of the chats as there are a couple of links on there.

ONE NOTE - if you do not have a dropbox account (free or paid), you can only watch the first 15 minutes on line. If you download the entire file, you will be able to see the entire talk

Enjoy and let me know if you have any technical issues

Bob
Just downloaded and watched the whole thing. Unbelievable that that level of talent exists in this world. Humanoid seems appropriate. Highly recommended.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

hoover wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:02 pm

We used to finish it like this:

Cube root, square root, BTU
Compass, slide rule, go Rice U!

http://timeline.centennial.rice.edu/entry/47/index.html
When I read these, I think of all the fun I missed by majoring in Philosophy...

Nope. Can't think of any.

Bruce's Philosopher Song