"Two for One" - July 23, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
hoover

Post by hoover »

Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:52 am I just Googled Eastport to see where Maine Marge was vacationing and look what I learned: "Eastport is the easternmost city in the United States." Ahem!
Eastport, Alaska?
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Streroto wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:02 pm @ladybird - before making a TURn on my way home today I had to braKE for a bird I was certain I would never see in downtown phillY !!!!!

No pix as I was driving…
Yo. I don't know 'bout choo. But I live in downtown Philly, an I seen more turkeys than you can trow bat-ries at!

And as for the bird... yeah... I flipped it a few times at 'em.
billkatz

Post by billkatz »

I am on the beach! Since I am sitting on the beach of Long Lake in Maine, it is an appropriate outcome. (I see I'm not the only vacationing in Maine this week. I hope MGWCC isn't too bad, as I'm without a printer...
hoover

Post by hoover »

I didn't need Mr G for 13A because I have sung that composer's work in St. Peter's Basilica, and I have encountered 4D recently in Verne's Around the World in 80 Days, which I reread over the past quarantine year. However, regarding the meta, I am still 19A.
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

femullen wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:38 am
(*My late-Sunday-night epiphany two weeks ago ended up being wrong: DISCRETE and DISCREET are, sadly, different words, and, more sadly, spelling counts. Another Monday morning palm-to-forehead.)
And that forced me down this rabbit hole. :-) https://www.quora.com/Does-the-word-dis ... or-neither
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Late start, but done and done. Sort of noticed it early on, but didn't pay close enough attention. It was only after I had gone through leaps and hurdles to get the answer when I looked back on everything and achieved full enlightenment.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
architect

Post by architect »

On shore. Solved this online first, then let it sit overnight and redid it on paper today. Good one.
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

billkatz wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:10 am I am on the beach! Since I am sitting on the beach of Long Lake in Maine, it is an appropriate outcome. (I see I'm not the only vacationing in Maine this week. I hope MGWCC isn't too bad, as I'm without a printer...
It’s only a week 4. I’m sure YOU will be fine.
Big Mac

Post by Big Mac »

On shore! Fairly quick meta solve for me this week but a fun path there.
TeaJenny

Post by TeaJenny »

Isaac, am I overthinking this? I think I'm overthinking this.

Maybe another bellini will help. (Keep 'em coming.)

Grid done last night; stumped on the meta.
You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
jh773

Post by jh773 »

Grid done, but I'm sniffing at several rabbit holes with no idea which one to go down. Any help?

EDIT: Just washed up on the beach!
meowmiao71

Post by meowmiao71 »

Completely lost 19A. The grid was tough but I'm finding the meta even tougher. I think I see something relevant but can't figure out what to do with it. Nudges welcome!

EDIT: Solved thanks to a helpful nudge. I won't be submitting, but wish everyone luck in winning the mug!
Last edited by meowmiao71 on Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ALS

Post by ALS »

Ashore, but I had to redo the puzzle on paper to get there.

ALS
TNakagawaWSJ

Post by TNakagawaWSJ »

Hello, Muggles! Taylor Nakagawa here with WSJ's puzzles team.

I want to share an exciting announcement: We just published a new interactive course on the contest puzzles! The idea behind the course is to slowly teach new puzzlers how to uncover the meta answer in a given contest crossword. Matt Gaffney and Mike Shenk wrote the course and it's based on four puzzles that ran in February of this year. Each lesson also includes tips from the Muggle community. Thank you to everyone who reached out to share their tips and stories with me!

For many people on this board, the guidance from Mike, Matt and the Muggles may seem obvious to seasoned solvers. Our goal was to create a new experience to bring new people into the fold and introduce them to this community. We even included a link to this board on the opening page!

So, here it is, Contest Crosswords 101. I hope you enjoy. :)

Contest Crosswords 101
Learn the ins and outs of WSJ’s weekly contest crossword in this four-part series
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

TNakagawaWSJ wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:35 pm Hello, Muggles! Taylor Nakagawa here with WSJ's puzzles team.

I want to share an exciting announcement: We just published a new interactive course on the contest puzzles! The idea behind the course is to slowly teach new puzzlers how to uncover the meta answer in a given contest crossword. Matt Gaffney and Mike Shenk wrote the course and it's based on four puzzles that ran in February of this year. Each lesson also includes tips from the Muggle community. Thank you to everyone who reached out to share their tips and stories with me!

For many people on this board, the guidance from Mike, Matt and the Muggles may seem obvious to seasoned solvers. Our goal was to create a new experience to bring new people into the fold and introduce them to this community. We even included a link to this board on the opening page!

So, here it is, Contest Crosswords 101. I hope you enjoy. :)

Contest Crosswords 101
Learn the ins and outs of WSJ’s weekly contest crossword in this four-part series
@TNakagawaWSJ Taylor - you forgot to mention if you are taking the course, doing the puzzles and letting us know if you are on the ship or the shore (a barren shore as you can not win the mug but the shore does have a tiki bar)
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

billkatz wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:10 am I am on the beach! Since I am sitting on the beach of Long Lake in Maine, it is an appropriate outcome. (I see I'm not the only vacationing in Maine this week. I hope MGWCC isn't too bad, as I'm without a printer...
Long Lake is a great place to vacation. We camped there many times

Hope the weather holds
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Good afternoon muggles.

First a great welcome to our newest muggles - hedswen, benchen71, and jdb

A quick administrative note - after the first pass through entering muggles on the ship or shore, on following passes through the comments, I start from the last one and work backwards until I run into some I have already entered. As a result, if you edit your post when you solve the meta, there is a good chance that I won't find it. It is best to make a new post - thanks

We have 9 on the ship and 84 on the shore. A great start to a fun puzzle. I still am in awe about first how Matt and Mike come up with an idea for a meta and then execute it in an elegant and interesting way. This one, although not terribly difficult for most was a three highlighter color meta.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Begbie

Post by Begbie »

HunterX wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:08 am
Streroto wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:02 pm @ladybird - before making a TURn on my way home today I had to braKE for a bird I was certain I would never see in downtown phillY !!!!!

No pix as I was driving…
Yo. I don't know 'bout choo. But I live in downtown Philly, an I seen more turkeys than you can trow bat-ries at!

I’m from Philly, too, and know that Fluffyans call it “Center City” and not “downtown”.

Said with much brotherly love and sisterly affection.

Also, I’m cranky because I’m still at sea…
woozy

Post by woozy »

Kinda weird. I didn't find any rabbit holes. or any stumbling blocks.

I looked in one place thinking "if this is going to be based on what I think it is this is a clue that could be designed like one" but it wasn't one and there was no hole. That doesn't count as a stumbling block as there was no need to think it'd be a spot and verification that it wasn't was easy.

Maybe I'll go back and see if there where any false leads I missed.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Begbie wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:14 pm
HunterX wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:08 am

I’m from Philly, too, and know that Fluffyans call it “Center City” and not “downtown”.

Said with much brotherly love and sisterly affection.

Also, I’m cranky because I’m still at sea…
Yo, yuh mean "Senner Siddy"? Let's go, Flyers, and let's go, Gene Hart!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!