"Hot Breakfast" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Thank you, Ben - solved and submitted
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Talk about a typo… I meant to use shark on the crosshare site but I typed Shart instead. Oh well, I guess it was unexpected.
Darth

Post by Darth »

My kind of breakfast. (Ding Dong and a sausage.)
Attachments
breakfast.jpg
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

sharkicicles wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:31 pm Talk about a typo… I meant to use shark on the crosshare site but I typed Shart instead. Oh well, I guess it was unexpected.
Let me fix that... :D
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

sharkicicles wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:31 pm Talk about a typo… I meant to use shark on the crosshare site but I typed Shart instead. Oh well, I guess it was unexpected.
They usually are...
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Pole vaulted over the moat. Fun.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Bridge lowered!

dudeski

Post by dudeski »

Stormed
Abide

Post by Abide »

I have Berry-ed the Fillion.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here are the additional solvers (40 so far!)

CPJohnson
BrennerTJ
KayW
LuckyGuest
Capn Rick
MarkWoychick
spikeydlux
Bbaack
Darth
Julia
clev
Dow Jones
lbray53
Joe Ross
dudeski
Abide
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

I have stormed the castle. I didn't even know that the White Castle served breakfast. (btw, the lovely woman in the photo Ben included lives in my building, and I know her to say hello. How we met is a funny story, too long for here, but maybe if there's a lull in the Zoom...
Jay
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Bird Lives wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:47 pm I have stormed the castle. I didn't even know that the White Castle served breakfast. (btw, the lovely woman in the photo Ben included lives in my building, and I know her to say hello. How we met is a funny story, too long for here, but maybe if there's a lull in the Zoom...
Carol Kane is the best! I also loved her in The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. Next time you see her, nod at her for me!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's the third installement of the leaderboard, bringing us to a total of 52 successful solvers this week, and all before nudges!:

THC
K7
DIS
Bird Lives
shalmanezer
Jack Sullivan
downie
pav
LB800
CalRy
sus
Golem
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Speaking of nudges, it's Saturday morning here in the great city of Melbourne where yesterday we ended yet another period of lockdown, bringing the total days in lockdown to 262. (I might go out later with the family and travel further than 10kms from our home!) If your hot breakfast is eluding you, hopefully this will get you started:

1. 1 A, 34 A and 67 A combine to form the hint.

2. The hint is EGGS OVER EASY.

3. "EASY" sounds like something else.

4. Goodness, but there are a lot of Zs in this grid!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here are the last solvers before I post the answers, bring us up to a grand total of 58:

bereolos
ellequin
BarbaraK
Bbaack
BobJas
bergie

Well done to everyone!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

And here's the solution...

Hot Breakfast (solution).png

A few people commented that it appeared the eggs had been scrambled. But there was an order to it, based on the length of the "EZ" words.

This week's MOAT will be on the scary side!
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

benchen71 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:45 pm And here's the solution...

Hot Breakfast (solution).png

A few people commented that it appeared the eggs had been scrambled. But there was an order to it, based on the length of the "EZ" words.

This week's MOAT will be on the scary side!
At first I was looking for the letters over the Os (eggs). Good puzzle, thanks!