"Encrypted" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
benchen71

"Encrypted" by benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Welcome to...

benchen71's Metas on a Tuesday (MOAT)

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? I'm really leaning into my Australian heritage now. International solvers, feel free to consult Google whenever you want to; Aussie solvers, feel free to do the same with all the Americanisms that inevitably creep in! I also trust this meta crossword isn't considered in poor taste during this time of pandemic. All the best, as you seek the answer to the meta which is a four letter word.

PM me with your submissions or submit on Crosshare. Either way, I'll compile a list of those who successfully solve the meta.

Encrypted - Online Form

Encrypted - PUZ

Encrypted - PDF

Encrypted - Excel

Nudges are here.

The solution is here.

havefun.gif
Last edited by benchen71 on Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

"Barbarians Rule!"
Capturesandcastle.JPG
Darth

Post by Darth »

He said, "Looked like trouble, but just made light work of it!" :shock:
Attachments
light saber in the heart.gif
boharr

Post by boharr »

Need help but eventually crossed that moat. Clever puzzle.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Just waiting for the Saturday nudges. What time is it in Australia anyway? Is it even Saturday yet?
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Saturday morning, and here are the nudges, in order of increasing blatancy:

1. The central clue, in combination with a punny interpretation of the puzzle title suggests something.

2. Concentrate your search on four entries: the two longest across entries, and the two longest down entries.

3. Do you really need another nudge?

4. Seriously, only click on the next nudge if you are at your absolute wits end!

5. DEAD HEART suggests looking for something in the heart of DEAD
Last edited by benchen71 on Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Crossed and stormed!

Came to this one late, and with my brain somewhat fried at the end of the week, I took all of Ben’s spoilers.

Fun!
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Crossed the MOAT!

I did use the first 2 nudges - just happy to have solved. I enjoyed this one!!
Cindy Heisler
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Needed all of the hints to get there... I thought I had come up with all possible ways to look at this, but there was one more :-)
woozy

Post by woozy »

benchen71 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:34 pm Saturday morning, and here are the nudges, in order of increasing blatancy:

2. Concentrate your search on the four long entries.

What do you mean four long entries? There are 2 that are ten letters long, 1 that is nine, and four that are 8.
Latest meta: Never forget... and never mind (A WSJ retaliation)
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

woozy wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:27 am
benchen71 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:34 pm Saturday morning, and here are the nudges, in order of increasing blatancy:

2. Concentrate your search on the four long entries.

What do you mean four long entries? There are 2 that are ten letters long, 1 that is nine, and four that are 8.
My bad. I mean the 2 10 letter words, and 2 of the 8 letter down words. I'll edit the nudges...
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Solved, but only with an additional push from Ben. So, I've crossed the moat with water wings.
Cynthia
woozy

Post by woozy »

Nope.... with your nudges can't see anything at all.

I think there is a very large disconnect between what a constructor and what a solver would find obvious.

You non-nudges 3 and 4 It is now very obvious to apply the "heart of DEAD" to the four theme answers "Round Table" "Dud Match" "Baked Oat" and "Scaled Back" and at this point it should be completely spelled out. Nudge five is a more explicit statement of Nudge 1 and the implication is it's all spelled out. So somehow the letters EA are supposed yield key letters or point's in the theme answers "Round Table" "Dud Match" "Baked Oat" and "Scaled Back"?

Okay, no one said it had to be easy but the sarcastic non-nudges .... I don't know. I don't think they gibe with objective reality. The first and second nudges may have been valid nudges. But they are far from explicit.
markhr

Post by markhr »

Solved and confirmed. The spoilers helped just enough.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Monday morning has come around again, so here is the solution:

Encrypted (solution).png

(WSJ regulars might recognise the mechanic from a Gaffney puzzle involving HOPE diamonds.) This puzzle was more difficult that it should have been. For some reason, I thought I had included a hint in the clue for the central entry, but it turns out I didn't. I have since gone back and added one to the puzzle on Crosshare: "Song Midnight Oil recorded for the handing back ceremony of Uluru to its traditional Aboriginal owners (with "The", and a hint to where you can find the answer to the meta)" I'm putting more and more hints like this in my puzzles, so hopefully that will make things just a touch easier for solvers!

The next MOAT will reference a key moment in Australian sport that played out on the international scene.
Last edited by benchen71 on Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

The list of successful solvers is as follows:

whimsy
Darth
Meg
boharr
ChrisKochmanski
Cinny
Laura M
Abide
CPJohnson
lbray53
Carolyn
markhr
woozy
woozy

Post by woozy »

benchen71 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:30 pm
The next MOAT will reference a key moment in Australian sport that played out on the international scene.
Will I get any bonus points for guessing before the puzzle comes out?
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

woozy wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:43 pm
benchen71 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:30 pm
Will I get any bonus points for guessing before the puzzle comes out?
Sure! I'm all for bonus points. So what do you think the key moment is?
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

benchen71 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:30 pm Monday morning has come around again, so here is the solution:

Encrypted (solution).png

(WSJ regulars might recognise the mechanic from a Gaffney puzzle involving HOPE diamonds.) This puzzle was more difficult that it should have been. For some reason, I thought I had included a hint in the clue for the central entry, but it turns out I didn't. I have since gone back and added one to the puzzle on Crosshare: "Song Midnight Oil recorded for the handing back ceremony of Uluru to its traditional Aboriginal owners (with "The", and a hint to where you can find the answer to the meta)" I'm putting more and more hints like this in my puzzles, so hopefully that will make things just a touch easier for solvers!

The differences between the two puzzles was that 1. HOPE was in the same orientation on each instance so HP was visible in every answer. The DEAD letters (heh) switched around orientations.
2. The letters in DEAD feel more common in English to me than HOPE, making them blend in easier.
3. Maybe people didn't even try the HOPE mechanism because it was so recently used?

I totally didn't see the mechanism, but that doesn't mean much. Keep making metas, and thanks for the puzzles.