"(D)coding" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
benchen71

"(D)coding" by benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Welcome to...

benchen71's Metas on a Tuesday (MOAT)

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? It's always hard for the meta crossword constructor to anticipate how difficult a meta puzzle will be. I think this is easier? he says, with a quizzical expression. Ah well, time will tell. Note that the answer to the meta is an adjective, an ironic adjective at that. Good luck!

PM me with your submissions or submit online. Either way, I'll compile a list of those who successfully solve the meta.

(D)coding - Online Form

(D)coding - PUZ

(D)coding - PDF

(D)coding - Excel

Nudges are available here.

The solution is available here.

havefun.gif
Last edited by benchen71 on Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

Might just be me, but I think this ain't no sandcastle
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

madhatter5 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:29 pm Might just be me, but I think this ain't no sandcastle
It's my revenge for not having solved the last two MEOWs! Bwahhahahahhahaa!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Constructing puzzles that no one can solve leads to no solvers. Bwahhahahahhahaa
Last edited by oldjudge on Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

oldjudge wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:54 pm Constructing puzzles that no one can solve leads to no solvers.
Actually, I think my puzzle is eminently solvable. I know that as the constructor it is very hard to view the puzzle from the perspective of the solver, but I always include hints in the title / grid that point the way to the solution. More so, I think, than other meta creators. For example, I did not think "Thorough Enough" gave enough indication as to what to do. And I feel the same about this week's MMM and Pandora - I have no idea what to do with either of them.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Not getting no nothing.
Latest meta: Never forget... and never mind (A WSJ retaliation)
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

benchen71 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:01 pm
oldjudge wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:54 pm Constructing puzzles that no one can solve leads to no solvers.
Actually, I think my puzzle is eminently solvable. I know that as the constructor it is very hard to view the puzzle from the perspective of the solver, but I always include hints in the title / grid that point the way to the solution. More so, I think, than other meta creators. For example, I did not think "Thorough Enough" gave enough indication as to what to do. And I feel the same about this week's MMM and Pandora - I have no idea what to do with either of them.
I'm with you on this week's MMM, Pandora, and MOAT. No idea on any of them.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

I'm going to resist the urge to offer nudges early. But I don't want people sitting their tearing their hair out. So if you don't see anything immediately, come back to it in a day or two. Nudges will come out Saturday morning Aussie time; that might be Friday afternoon for some of you!
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

benchen71 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:01 pm
I’m sure it is. However, I find I am still learning and getting used to your meta style and personality. As I am more familiar with Matt’s, Jay’s and Will’s style, those puzzles were eminently solvable for me (and I have done so for all three.)

I have looked for the hints you have provided, but when the road is wide open before me, many things look like a hint. Look at any of the other threads and the various rabbit holes solvers have felt were certain were hints to the solution. I’d be happy to discuss via PM what I have tried to help show some of my thinking. PM me if you are interested.

Right now, not seeing anything. MEOW comes out tomorrow. WSJ the day after. Think this one goes on the back burner until the nudges come out.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Capturebodian1_LI.jpg

Doing as Post #8 suggests -- wringing myself out and planning a return a bit later --
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's the current list of solvers:

sus

So, yes, it looks like "(D)coding" is on the harder side. But it is solvable! Nudges coming in 48 hours...
Darth

Post by Darth »

Storm troopers, don't let those obsidian towers rising from the lava fields intimidate! :lol:
Attachments
Vaders_Castle.jpg
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

24 hours until nudges...
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

I know it's early, but it's nearly bedtime Friday night here in Australia and I'd prefer everyone has a good chance to take another look at "(D)coding", especially if you've been able to make it through the WSJ meta. So here are the nudges:

1. Something in the clue for the central entry of the crossword echoes the puzzle's title.

2. The brackets around the D means you can happily ignore the D in COVID. What might COVI signify?

3. There are also two significantly placed words that might help explain the central hint.

4. There is a ZERO on the left and a ONE on the right.

Hopefully, I'll wake up Saturday morning with lots of PMs to sort through. :D
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

benchen71 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:13 am I know it's early, but it's nearly bedtime Friday night here in Australia and I'd prefer everyone has a good chance to take another look at "(D)coding", especially if you've been able to make it through the WSJ meta. So here are the nudges:

1. Something in the clue for the central entry of the crossword echoes the puzzle's title.

2. The brackets around the D means you can happily ignore the D in COVID. What might COVI signify?

3. There are also two significantly placed words that might help explain the central hint.

4. There is a ZERO on the left and a ONE on the right.

Hopefully, I'll wake up Saturday morning with lots of PMs to sort through. :D
Well, I can tell you who you WON'T be getting a PM from (hint: he's me.)

This meta is impenetrable to me. The MOAT worked! :(
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

OK, here's one final nudge:

5. The hint COVI means C=zero, V=one.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

After five spoilers I still have no idea, but more importantly, with no spoilers, how was anyone supposed to figure out what you have disclosed so far? Matt did a mea culpa in his write up of last week’s MGWCC when one probably wasn’t necessary because he is concerned with maintaining the solver’s trust. He is the gold standard of meta constructors. Perhaps you should think about maintaining the solver’s trust in your puzzles.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Sorry. I'm pretty certain I will never get this.
Latest meta: Never forget... and never mind (A WSJ retaliation)
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

oldjudge wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:03 pm After five spoilers I still have no idea, but more importantly, with no spoilers, how was anyone supposed to figure out what you have disclosed so far? Matt did a mea culpa in his write up of last week’s MGWCC when one probably wasn’t necessary because he is concerned with maintaining the solver’s trust. He is the gold standard of meta constructors. Perhaps you should think about maintaining the solver’s trust in your puzzles.
I will take the criticism. But this was only my 4th or 5th meta puzzle ever. So I am still learning, too. I thought that the placement of ZERO and ONE carefully balanced on the appropriate side of the central entry would be enough to get you onto the right track.

I would appreciate a bit of grace from solvers. If you don't get the mechanism straight away (even with nudges), then put the puzzle aside and wait for the next one (which will be easier, I promise.) There have been plenty of metas by others in recent weeks which I didn't get, even after nudges came out. I didn't take it personally, or get angry with the meta creators.
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

Just ignore him, Ben
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer