"Expanding Brackets" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
benchen71

"Expanding Brackets" by benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Welcome to...

benchen71's Metas on a Tuesday (MOAT)

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? These metas will range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms I put in them! Puzzles are posted on Tuesdays, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. At least, that's the plan. Since I live in Australia, and we are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early! Like, it's now Tuesday just after 4pm here in Melbourne. I think it is technically Tuesday in the US (at least in New York), so we're good!

Today's meta is entitled "Expanding Brackets". No two letter words and it's fully interlocking this time! To avoid anyone going down rabbit holes please ignore all of the brackets in the clues. I just like writing fun clues and that often includes bracketed asides. They have nothing to do with the meta, I promise! ;)

PM me with your submissions, or submit on Crosshare. Either way, I'll compile a list of those who complete the puzzle. If you submit on Crosshare, but you're username is not the same as here, you may end up appearing on the list twice!

Play online here: https://crosshare.org/crosswords/lStoAKSyWeWCdoPRG20W

Pretty PDF LINK - 2 pages

PDF LINK - 1 page

PUZ LINK

EXCEL LINK

Nudges are available here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1164&start=20#p66571.

Solution is available here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1164&p=66774#p66774
Last edited by benchen71 on Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

Solved and submitted (via Crosshare)
ergo confirmed.
QED
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

RPardoe wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:11 am Solved and submitted (via Crosshare)
ergo confirmed.
QED

Rich, as the first MOAT solver it is your great responsibility to come up with the solving catchphrase ;)
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

madhatter5 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:18 am
RPardoe wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:11 am Solved and submitted (via Crosshare)
ergo confirmed.
QED

Rich, as the first MOAT solver it is your great responsibility to come up with the solving catchphrase ;)
(Swam across?)
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

madhatter5 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:18 am Rich, as the first MOAT solver it is your great responsibility to come up with the solving catchphrase ;)
According to Crosshare, I was not the first.
- Mike D
- FrankieHeck
were already on the leaderboard.
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

Ah, my bad
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Alls I know is i gotsta start stockpiling pics of dese guys --
Capturecastle.PNG
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

madhatter5 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:34 amAh, my bad
Nah, just trying to rely on the combined consciousness of the assembled muggle masses to get the term.

I did like "stormed the castle" as in the OP. Especially as I tend to think of "have fun storming the castle" as a quote from Princess Bride.

Lowered the (draw) bridge also comes to mind.
Swimming with the alligators?
The alligators are in the water?

C'Mon Muggle Mind - solve the puzzle and chip in your thoughts!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

RPardoe wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:57 am
Nah, just trying to rely on the combined consciousness of the assembled muggle masses to get the term.

I did like "stormed the castle" as in the OP. Especially as I tend to think of "have fun storming the castle" as a quote from Princess Bride.

I was coming on to offer "Lowered the drawbridge," but seeing "Stormed the castle," I like it better (you can lower the drawbridge but that doesn't mean you crossed it). Maybe "Castled"? Drained the moat?
boharr

Post by boharr »

Solved (with help). Confirmed by Crosshare.
High school was awhile ago. I found this difficult but satisfying in the end.
I like Drained the moat, especially if the moat was full of Guinness.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Solved. Didn't know Crosshare confirmed...
Meg

Post by Meg »

Confirmed on Crosshare. Had a bit of a tiny nudge, which steered me in the right direction. Very clever! I have hopped on the backs of alligators just like James Bond to get across the moat!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Well, I took the plunge (OK, hoping not actually -- but at least I would have died happy, or at least hoppy per @boharr )
Confirmed with Crossshare submission even though I wasn't quite sure of the mechanism,
so --
Capturecapture.PNG
dudeski

Post by dudeski »

Good on ya, benchen71.
hoover

Post by hoover »

Crossed the moat / stormed the castle! That is, I have humbly submitted my petition to the king and am awaiting permission to enter.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

RPardoe wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:57 am

I definitely had the Princess Bride in mind when I first saw that "Metas on a Tuesday" spelt MOAT.
havefun.gif
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
KayW

Post by KayW »

:tornado: :european_castle: Submitted. Thanks for a fun puzzle!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

Got past the crocodiles... 🏰
-Tamara
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Fun! Actually got some help from my daughter on this one. She really enjoyed many of the clues (as did I), and also knew some critical information that I had never learned or didn't remember.

Edit (after an hour): I solved on Crosshare, I was logged in and it said my answer was correct, but it still didn't put me on the leaderboard. This has happened before on Crosshare, I don't get what I'm doing wrong. It's not a big deal though.