"Expanding Brackets" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Laura M wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:38 am Fun! Actually got some help from my daughter on this one. She really enjoyed many of the clues (as did I), and also knew some critical information that I had never learned or didn't remember.

Edit (after an hour): I solved on Crosshare, I was logged in and it said my answer was correct, but it still didn't put me on the leaderboard. This has happened before on Crosshare, I don't get what I'm doing wrong. It's not a big deal though.
Don't worry, I did see your name on the list of solvers. Crosshare says that they only updates statistic once an hour. Maybe it's even less frequent?

Thanks for the encouraging comments about the meta. And well done on solving it!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
bhamren

Post by bhamren »

I liked the meta partly because of my university degree. I finally got to use it. (as I storm the castle).
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

STC!
I'm glad I kept coming back to this one. The grid took me quite a bit, but the meta fell into place rather quickly. Great concept and well executed!
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

In spite of my background in a former life, I managed to apply the mechanism incorrectly far too many times!

I have finally traversed the MOAT and am storming the castle.

P.S. Looking forward to more from benchen71!
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

lbray53 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:41 pm In spite of my background in a former life, I managed to apply the mechanism incorrectly far too many times!

I have finally traversed the MOAT and am storming the castle.

P.S. Looking forward to more from benchen71!
There are definitely more to come, ranging in difficulty. Next week is pirate-themed!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Abide

Post by Abide »

Outside the castle for a day, picking off scabs from the boiling oil the rest of you are dumping. Came to read the comments, looking for the NOAT (Nudge on a Thursday). No NOATs, but saw a few notes about “background”. That sent me to Google what I should have done in the first place. Good onya Ben!
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Abide wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:13 am Outside the castle for a day, picking off scabs from the boiling oil the rest of you are dumping. Came to read the comments, looking for the NOAT (Nudge on a Thursday). No NOATs, but saw a few notes about “background”. That sent me to Google what I should have done in the first place. Good onya Ben!
The plan is NOAS - nudges on a Saturday. But since I'll post them my Saturday, they might show up late Friday (NLF?) :D
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

It's Saturday morning here in Melbourne, Australia, and that means it's nudges time!

Nudges, in order of increasing blatancy:

1. The four 10 letter answers are in focus.

2. There is a hint in one of the corners of the crossword.

3. The clue is in 67 across (note the echo of the puzzle title).

4. FOIL is an acronym that stands for First Outer Inner Last.

5. Use FOIL on the four 10 letter answers (which all consist of two words).

6. 15A - take the first letters of the two words; 27A - take the outermost letters of the two words; 46A - take the innermost letters of the two words; 61A - take the last letters of the two words.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

And here's the leaderboard, while I'm at it (includes names from Crosshare - so there may be double-ups?):

1. Mike D
2. FrankieHeck
3. RPardoe
4. David Plass
5. LuckyGuest
6. boharr
7. Hector
8. Meg
9. Cindy
10. whimsy
11. dudeski
12. hoover
13. BarbaraK
14. KayW
15. BrennerTJ
16. Laura M
17. bhamren
18. K7
19. Chaddog
20. lbray53
21. Small Wave Dave
22. Beth Tyrpin
23. Abide
24. CPJohnson
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

benchen71 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:00 pm And here's the leaderboard, while I'm at it (includes names from Crosshare - so there may be double-ups?):

1. Mike D
2. FrankieHeck
3. RPardoe
4. David Plass
5. LuckyGuest
6. boharr
7. Hector
8. Meg
9. Cindy
10. whimsy
11. dudeski
12. hoover
13. BarbaraK
14. KayW
15. BrennerTJ
16. Laura M
17. bhamren
18. K7
19. Chaddog
20. lbray53
21. Small Wave Dave
22. Beth Tyrpin
23. Abide
24. CPJohnson
If it's not obvious I'm "David Plass" on crossshare
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

The castle has fallen!
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
auee89

Post by auee89 »

Crossed the moat, albeit, with lots of help!

Here is Brisbane back in 2017 and enjoying a Negroni!

And some of the great laneways in Melbourne.

Kevin
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Came to this one late (traveling) — and have now

CROSSED THE MOAT!

Very fun! Looking forward to more!
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

lbray53 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:41 pm In spite of my background in a former life, I managed to apply the mechanism incorrectly far too many times!
Same! Tried some really complicated things before simplifying my approach.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Well done to everyone who applied FOIL correctly and came up with the correct answer to the meta which is: BINOMIAL

Expanding Brackets (solution).jpg

A new MOAT tomorrow, Tuesday 4pm Australian Eastern Standard Time...
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Final leaderboard:

Expanding Brackets leaderboard:

1. Mike D
2. FrankieHeck
3. RPardoe
4. dplass
5. LuckyGuest
6. boharr
7. Hector
8. Meg
9. Cindy
10. whimsy
11. dudeski
12. hoover
13. BarbaraK
14. KayW
15. BrennerTJ
16. Laura M
17. bhamren
18. K7
19. Chaddog
20. lbray53
21. Small Wave Dave
22. Beth Tyrpin
23. Abide
24. CPJohnson
25. madhatter5
26. auee89
27. ChrisKochmanski
Darth

Post by Darth »

Got the mechanism and meta right away, but I had REALLY wanted to say, "Drat, and double drat...curses foiled again!" :lol:
Well constructed puzzle, Ben, and fun to solve. Thanks.