Down for the Count (A Mikey Meta)

Puzzles! Puns! The occasional crosswordese! Solve a new meta at the end of each of month at https://punofakind.blogspot.com/
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

I had to cheat with the spoiler, but admire the construction. Unbelievable for a first try.
Rufus T. Firefly
Dannyvee

Post by Dannyvee »

Got it with a nudge.
I can be found in Sheridan, NY, veejaying. (8)
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Thanks, Hector. That's very cool.

A couple others of us were PM-ing, and we agreed that this is a very strong first meta for Mikey. Maybe a different title, providing better direction, would have helped. Otherwise ... OK, maybe not Ted Williams in 1939, or Orson Welles with Citizen Kane ... but, yes, a contender for Meta Constructor Rookie of the Year!
C=64

Post by C=64 »

I noticed the relevant stuff (among a bunch of irrelevant stuff, of course) but parsed it wrong and didn't solve the meta. Then MikeyG's comment made the answer obvious and Hector's spoiler allowed me to backsolve. (I'm afraid this might sound grumpy, but I'm not grumpy.) KAS 4.

I went back and did MikeyG's first three puzzles for research and I really enjoyed them, particularly the cluing. 👍
KayW

Post by KayW »

I came late to this party and enjoyed solving the grid - the cluing for 27,41,and 42D in particular. I had a hunch about the answer (which turned out to be correct), but didn't see the mechanism until I read through some of these posts for the spoilers. And I never would have - a KAS5for sure. But I agree - a fun puzzle and a fantastic first meta!

At the risk of further aggravating Mikey's mother, I hope we see more from him on these pages!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.