Down for the Count (A Mikey Meta)

Puzzles! Puns! The occasional crosswordese! Solve a new meta at the end of each of month at https://punofakind.blogspot.com/
ChrisKochmanski

Down for the Count (A Mikey Meta)

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Here's one from a first-time meta constructor: https://punofakind.blogspot.com/2020/12 ... -meta.html

I've been staring at the grid for some time, and I've got N-O-T-H-I-N-G. Nothing yet that that would even qualify as a rabbit hole.

We have until the first of the year. When someone solves, please feel free to PM with a nudge. Thanks!
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Glad to see I’m not the only one. Fun grid, but I am nowhere on the meta.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Nothing here.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

I wonder if Mikey and Ricky are friends. 😝
ChrisKochmanski

Let's hope for nudges from the constructor. Mikey, are you there?
Hector

Post by Hector »

Welp, I submitted something...

... and while it made sense, it was incorrect.

But Mikey's response (that it was close in more than one way) led me to guess what turned out to be the correct answer. I back-solved to finally discover the mechanism. Obviously that mechanism is not easy to discover, but it is not at all unfair.
C=64

Post by C=64 »

Checking in to let you know that I keep looking at this puzzle when I should be preparing for my classes that start next week. πŸ™„
ChrisKochmanski

Finally got it, with another solver's very patient help.

Hey, for your first meta, Mikey, this ain't bad. Please do more!
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

When I found out this was actually a thread, I was terrified to open it, bahaha. I thank you for the kind words.

I've been lurking on these boards the past few months as I've solved Matt's metas for the last few months or so - whoever was the first historically to create a meta is a genius. (I plan on going back and solving all of Matt's from Week #1 - I'm on break now, but I also have other stuff to do as well!)

I'm a very new constructor and plan to spend most of 2021 a) learning about construction and b) hopefully interacting with some of you here!! Hector goes down in history as the first-ever solver of mine - congrats!!

Footnote: My mom has groaned upon realizing I'm constructing anything period and vows not to solve any of my puzzles unless they're Monday-level (and forget about a meta).

Mike
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 89. That's Not Right!
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Mike-After getting the solution with a nudge I think I disagree with Hector. There is nothing that points you in the direction to a solution. There is a hint as to what the solution might be, but nothing that I can see that pushes you toward the right path. I think you would benefit from having a test solver.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved after a shove.
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

Still staring at the grid. Thought the title might help, but comments above suggest not?
How might I get a toehold?
Hector

Post by Hector »

Ignore the title
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

oldjudge wrote: ↑Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:19 pm Mike-After getting the solution with a nudge I think I disagree with Hector. There is nothing that points you in the direction to a solution. There is a hint as to what the solution might be, but nothing that I can see that pushes you toward the right path. I think you would benefit from having a test solver.
This is perfectly fair. Ironically, every other puzzle I'm making - or in the process of making - has had test solvers give feedback. For this one, I just had an idea and whipped it out, not really knowing anyone would look at it in earnest. So the fact that people are actually is rather humbling to me, someone who is new to this world of passionate solvers. I'm very grateful.

I looked at the barrage of the last 20 or so of Matt's titles (since I started doing them), and with the exception of the John Lennon tribute a couple weeks ago, virtually every one does have some hint in the title that guides the process. My title was meant as a hint to the place itself, which is seasonally appropriate right around...oh, the present time.

(I guess the creator can give his or her own nudges! Haha.)

The real benefit of all of this, of course, is I'll get to say "Beam me up!" (maybe) on Matt's contest posts now. Grateful for a Week 1 one this upcoming Friday!!

Mike
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 89. That's Not Right!
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

MikeyG wrote: ↑Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:59 am
oldjudge wrote: ↑Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:19 pm Mike-After getting the solution with a nudge I think I disagree with Hector. There is nothing that points you in the direction to a solution. There is a hint as to what the solution might be, but nothing that I can see that pushes you toward the right path. I think you would benefit from having a test solver.
This is perfectly fair. Ironically, every other puzzle I'm making - or in the process of making - has had test solvers give feedback. For this one, I just had an idea and whipped it out, not really knowing anyone would look at it in earnest. So the fact that people are actually is rather humbling to me, someone who is new to this world of passionate solvers. I'm very grateful.

I looked at the barrage of the last 20 or so of Matt's titles (since I started doing them), and with the exception of the John Lennon tribute a couple weeks ago, virtually every one does have some hint in the title that guides the process. My title was meant as a hint to the place itself, which is seasonally appropriate right around...oh, the present time.

The real benefit of all of this, of course, is I'll get to say "Beam me up!" (maybe) on Matt's contest posts now. Grateful for a Week 1 one this upcoming Friday!!

Mike

I can relate to this. When I put out my first meta recently (which was FAR worse than this) I couldn't believe how many Muggles were willing to try it. They're a wonderfully encouraging bunch!
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
boharr

Post by boharr »

Solved With Shoves
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

madhatter5 wrote: ↑Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:14 am
MikeyG wrote: ↑Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:59 am

Mike

I can relate to this. When I put out my first meta recently (which was FAR worse than this) I couldn't believe how many Muggles were willing to try it. They're a wonderfully encouraging bunch!
Just so you all understand. We are addicts.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

I enjoyed this, Mike. Clever clues! I've emailed you my possible solution.
EDIT: WOW, I got it right!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
ChrisKochmanski

Hector wrote: ↑Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:37 pmIgnore the title
Hector, if you get a chance, please tell about your cool rabbit hole, which was almost as fun, and almost as justifiable, as the correct answer!
Hector

Post by Hector »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: ↑Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:56 pm
Hector wrote: ↑Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:37 pmIgnore the title
Hector, if you get a chance, please tell about your cool rabbit hole, which was almost as fun, and almost as justifiable, as the correct answer!
Sure!

I did NOT ignore the (IMO unfortunately distracting) title, and so was hunting for stuff to do with counting (letters) and to do with Down entries. 1D mentioned fifteen-letter words and phrases, in what seemed to me a somewhat unusual clue for FANDOM, so after trying some other things I looked for 15-letter *clues*, and there are just three with that letter Count, all Down ones (!). The first letters of their entries, in grid order, are M S G. Madison Square Garden, which is often abbreviated MSG (as in MSG Network) is a place, and it's the world's most famous venue for boxing, where folks often go Down for the Count. So it made perfect sense, but I was not confident about it because honestly I thought it would be a pretty weak-sauce meta mechanism (certainly compared to the actual one, which, title aside, is clever and fun(ny)!).

When Mikey told me my guess was close in two senses, I thought it must be a NYC place, and Times Square came to mind right away, which also has Square in its name and hosts a count-down on NYE, which, of course that has to be it. So I decided to call it a day on this one and Hail Mary it as a second guess (so Mikey's generosity aside I don't really count myself a solver). Having done so, addict that I am, I returned to it, noticed the square formation in the grid and slapped my head when the connection of all the S????S entries to TIME occurred to me.