"Cool Down" - March 25, 2021

Puzzles posted every other Thursday, with a fun WSJ-level meta once a month. Win a sticker!
http://www.lexicondevil.live/
ricky

"Cool Down" - March 25, 2021

Post by ricky »

Went out to subscribers this AM and is now live on the blog:

http://www.lexicondevil.live/2021/03/pu ... -meta.html
Last edited by ricky on Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST
ricky

Post by ricky »

In puz and PDF - no applet yet... Because I forgot to upload it until right now. Sorry.

Meg

Post by Meg »

Wacko clueing IMO (from a boomer, of course). No idea on the meta.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Meg wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:23 pm Wacko clueing IMO (from a boomer, of course). No idea on the meta.
Funny!

I partially count on the various crosswords to keep me up, at least a bit, on modern culture. My kids are so tired of hearing me say: "You know how I know that? From a crossword."

There was a point, while doing this grid, that I thought I'd need to do some googling, but as it turned out, only once, and only to confirm.

As for the meta ... nothing yet.
Last edited by ChrisKochmanski on Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Proud of myself that I managed to deduce all of the grid answers (without Google) despite knowing practically none of them in reality! Nice challenge. I think I got the meta but not 100% sure.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

No meta here.
ricky

Post by ricky »

Laura, you got it correct. But no one else has so far! And it's not that hard (IMO). Repost:

http://www.lexicondevil.live/2021/03/pu ... -meta.html

ricky

Post by ricky »

I wouldn't know an EXO-CBX song if it bit me on the ass, BTW. That clue came straight out of Google.

boharr

Post by boharr »

It must be sort of elusive then. To all but Laura.
ricky

Post by ricky »

SPOILER ALERT

Just gonna post this here.

Feedback welcome on this one - I thought it was really easy but I got fewer than 10 entries, only 2 of which were correct, which tells me I did something wrong. Was it that the puzzle was clued less inclusively than usual, i.e. more rooted in my specific knowledge and interests? I figured the small size would balance that out.

Congrats to winners Laura M and Will E!
Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 4.36.12 PM.png
Y'all... birthday puzzle... 3A is AGED with a clue in which I refer to myself as such...

FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

I thought about OLD, but just didn't feel good about it. I submitted CAT because CAT can come before the short downs of MAP, NAP, and NIP (I looked up CAT MAP and convinced myself of this), and then I thought it went nicely with COOL CAT. Seemed like a Rickyesque answer after the Three Little Pigs. I realize "cat" appeared in a clue, so it wasn't a great answer, but I still felt better about it than OLD.

Edited to add:

I guess part of my problem with it was trying to make the title work. I see "old" in the title, but for me, the title always makes it all come together. And even if there is a trick with the letters like this one, or an anagram, the title itself still ties in with the answer. So maybe I'm just missing it, but I don't get that from "Cool Down." Which is why I went for the Cool + Down sort of thing.

I couldn't construct a meta to save my life, though, so take my comments with a grain of salt.
boharr

Post by boharr »

My stumbling block was the title too. I agree that in a puzzle the title usually makes it all come together. Other than "old" being hidden in Cool Down, I couldn't connect the title to the answer/theme in a meaningful way.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Hi Ricky,

I guessed OLD as well, "not super confidently." Check your email on Thurs, March 25 at 8:35am Pacific.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Ha ha wow, I submitted my answer on this despite not feeling much of a click, and then completely forgot about it due to that lost weekend where WSJCC, MGWCC, and PBWMC all ganged up on me. Plus I don't think I've ever actually solved a Lexicon Devil puzzle so I wasn't expecting to be right! If I'd checked back in here I would have said that this wasn't due to any special insight on my part. Anyway, thanks and happy birthday Ricky! But I'm quite sure that this meta answer doesn't actually apply to you :-)
ricky

Post by ricky »

Yeah, I think I kind of flubbed one of the rules of meta construction here by going with a title that contained the hidden word but had no other clear connection to the theme. I just couldn't figure out how to get another OLD in there and cut a corner. Appreciate the feedback!