"Thread the Needle" - December 24, 2020

Puzzles posted every other Thursday, with a fun WSJ-level meta once a month. Win a sticker!
http://www.lexicondevil.live/
Dannyvee

Post by Dannyvee »

Meg wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:10 pm Yeah, I got it with a shove (bigger than a nudge). Nothing really pointing at the process, imo.
I think this puzzle could have been excellent if somehow those nudges he gave us had been included in the puzzle.
I can be found in Sheridan, NY, veejaying. (8)
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Submitted. Think I solved it. But only with a large push. So no sticker for me.
ricky

Post by ricky »

Dannyvee wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:58 pm
Meg wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:10 pm Yeah, I got it with a shove (bigger than a nudge). Nothing really pointing at the process, imo.
I think this puzzle could have been excellent if somehow those nudges he gave us had been included in the puzzle.
That's fair, and I appreciate the feedback. Figuring out how much to hint at both the answer and the mechanism for finding it is rarely easy, I find. The best way for me is to give the puzzle to multiple test solvers beforehand, but that requires having it all the way done (or what I think is all the way done) days in advance, which is hard when you're posting puzzles weekly.

My original plan for my blog was to post two puzzles a month, one of which would be a meta, but I got on a roll. I'm thinking now of returning to my original plan in order to ensure all the Is are dotted and the little things get done (like updating the leaderboard, sending out the stickers, etc) when they should be.
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST