MEOW #23: That's Not Funny

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Out of the bag! And also, kind of in awe.
MamaE

Post by MamaE »

First, the cat is out of the bag, and with no nudges!! Whoo hoo!!

Second, I will now forever live in fear of my pun-lovin', non-meta-solving husband seeing this puzzle. Our eye-rolling children might cease to exist if hubby gets his hands on such a weapon.
Last edited by MamaE on Wed May 05, 2021 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Just puzzling it out here in Delmarva :D
KayW

Post by KayW »

:handbag: :smile_cat: pending confirmation.
Actually, Dr Tom and Josh lied - I thought that was pretty funny. My head is still spinning. Fantastic meta!
LaughingCat.jpg
EDIT: corn-firmed.
Last edited by KayW on Wed May 05, 2021 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

MamaE wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:35 pm First, the cat is out of the bag, and with no nudges!! Whoo hoo!!

Second, I will now forever live in fear of my pun-lovin', non-meta-solving husband seeing this puzzle. The groan levels of my children will reach never before seen heights if hubby gets his hands on such a weapon.
The blueprints are for sale on the dark web! Actually we put them for sale on the dork web but missed a spell check!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

KayW wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:08 pm :handbag: :smile_cat: pending confirmation.
Actually, Dr Tom and Josh lied - I thought that was pretty funny. My head is still spinning. Fantastic meta!
LaughingCat.jpg
I’ve see that cat before in a French town. Isn’t that a cat a laugh de ville?
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
MamaE

Post by MamaE »

DrTom wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:21 pm
MamaE wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:35 pm First, the cat is out of the bag, and with no nudges!! Whoo hoo!!

Second, I will now forever live in fear of my pun-lovin', non-meta-solving husband seeing this puzzle. The groan levels of my children will reach never before seen heights if hubby gets his hands on such a weapon.
The blueprints are for sale on the dark web! Actually we put them for sale on the dork web but missed a spell check!
Oh, my....... :lol: :lol: :lol:

- Just puzzling it out here in Delmarva :D
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

Completing the grid was a lot of fun and the cat's out of the bag.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

I sometimes roll my eyes out loud. I tried not to today.
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

Cat's out of the bag and ROFL! LOVED. IT!
Konnie
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

That was fun and a joy to solve ! Bravo to madhatter5 and DrTom.
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

That was the punniest crossword I ever did.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Josh and Dr. Tom, that was truly hilarious! Thanks!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Grid done, I get all the jokes, and I thoroughly enjoy a good pun... WHY am i not seeing the meta? Sheesh. Somebody put me out of my misery.

Update: got it. Should have printed it out to solve, as I normally do. Need everything in front of me on one sheet/screen, which can’t happen on the computer. (Don’t you computer solvers find that annoying, to have to keep scrolling?)

THis one is a keeper, especially to give to the pun-lovers in my family, of which there are really too many. :lol:
Last edited by HeadinHome on Fri May 07, 2021 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
The other Wendy. :roll:
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Cats out of the bag.🐱
Very fun puzzle - great clues. Thanks, Josh and Dr. Tom!
Cindy Heisler
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

HeadinHome wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:31 pm Grid done, I get all the jokes, and I thoroughly enjoy a good pun... WHY am i not seeing the meta? Sheesh. Somebody put me out of my misery.

Update: got it. Should have printed it out to solve, as I normally do. Need everything in front of me on one sheet/screen, which can’t happen on the computer. (Don’t you computer solvers find that annoying, to have to keep scrolling?)

THis one is a keeper, especially to give to the pun-lovers in my family, of which there are really too many. :lol:
TOO MANY pun lovers...that’s a real thing? We are hoping that everyone is banding together in groups to solve this puzzle because we feel better knowing the universe is teaming with punsters!
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

HeadinHome wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:31 pm Update: got it. Should have printed it out to solve, as I normally do. Need everything in front of me on one sheet/screen, which can’t happen on the computer. (Don’t you computer solvers find that annoying, to have to keep scrolling?)
Do the grids on an iPad w/ Across Lite. The PAGE view (at least when holding the iPad sideways) displays the grid and all the clues. But, like you, prefer to print out the puzzle on one page to stare when the META doesn't come quickly. I have also been known to take a screen shot from the iPad and then use the edit functions to doodle on it in my attempt to crack a META.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

That’s funny RPardoe - i do that too (screen shots), then use the markup feature to hilight, circle, etc. Sometimes i have the clues up on the screen on my iPad, and the grid image on my phone. Very low high tech. Good to know about Across Lite - will look into it.

Yes DrTom, I suppose you’re right ... no such thing as TOO many punsters. Until they all get on a roll and start hot dogging it. <—- (Let the better puns begin...).
The other Wendy. :roll:
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

After a very convoluted detour, made it to the finish line on this one. Lots of fun!

Gonna do some more experimenting with iPad per the above comments -- though using spreadsheet for markups I find works quite well (Numbers for Mac) -- I've been using Notability in iPad for some other puzzle doodlings on imported pdf's - screenshot is another cool idea.
-Tamara
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

HeadinHome wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:08 pm That’s funny RPardoe - i do that too (screen shots), then use the markup feature to hilight, circle, etc. Sometimes i have the clues up on the screen on my iPad, and the grid image on my phone. Very low high tech. Good to know about Across Lite - will look into it.

Yes DrTom, I suppose you’re right ... no such thing as TOO many punsters. Until they all get on a roll and start hot dogging it. <—- (Let the better puns begin...).
Please forgive my most tardy response to your comment, I commend you for being frank. I sometimes get behind and have to catch up, though of course I relish each input.

I always hope the puns are the hit of forum and that there execution is both entertaining and well directed. If the audience enjoys them I could perhaps see an Oscar in my future. Believe me there is nothing I’d like better than being a major Oscar winner since everyone would then take sight of me. And if I were a major Oscar winner, there’s nothing else that I would rather be. :o
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

Nudge Saturday!

Think about the title!

You probably didn't laugh at one or two of our jokes ... but were there any that you didn't even understand?

I'm gonna let DrTom do the last nudge if he wants!
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer