MEOW # 14: Josh What the Doctor Ordered

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
madhatter5

MEOW # 14: Josh What the Doctor Ordered

Post by madhatter5 »

Hi all and welcome to the fourteenth installment of the MEOW! This MEOW was co-constructed with the fantastic DrTom. If you don't like the humor in this puzzle he advises you to see him straight away because you might have an irony deficiency. He then recommends a neurotransplant so that you might change your mind.

Anyway I'm very thankful the good doctor had time to work on the puzzle. He tells me that with COVID the hospital is dealing with a budget crisis. They're cutting coroners and the radiology ward has just a skeleton crew. At least he gets good WiFi at the epidemiology department - with all the hotspots he doesn't get too much meta static. Fortunately circumstances are improving, and the gastroenterologists assure him things are looking up.

As the dentists say, you all know the drill. Nudges on Saturday, solution on Tuesday.

Good luck as always!

http://crossword.info/madhatter5/Josh_W ... or_Ordered
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Edit: Forgot to mention, the difficulty is somewhere between a kitten and a calico.

Edit # 2: Also forgot the prompt :oops: The answer to this meta is something that has been thought to cure ills since the time of Moses.
Last edited by madhatter5 on Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

These guys want out!
Please help a kitty cat today!
Capturepocketsfull.JPG
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

The cat has bagged it!

Fun puns! I read the puzzle description to my wife (not a puzzler), I liked 'em that much!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

madhatter5 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:11 am Hi all and welcome to the fourteenth installment of the MEOW! This MEOW was co-constructed with the fantastic DrTom. If you don't like the humor in this puzzle he advises you to see him straight away because you might have an irony deficiency. He then recommends a neurotransplant so that you might change your mind.

Anyway I'm very thankful the good doctor had time to work on the puzzle. He tells me that with COVID the hospital is dealing with a budget crisis. They're cutting coroners and the radiology ward has just a skeleton crew. At least he gets good WiFi at the epidemiology department - with all the hotspots he doesn't get too much meta static. Fortunately circumstances are improving, and the gastroenterologists assure him things are looking up.

As the dentists say, you all know the drill. Nudges on Saturday, solution on Tuesday.

Good luck as always!

http://crossword.info/madhatter5/Josh_W ... or_Ordered
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Edit: Forgot to mention, the difficulty is somewhere between a kitten and a calico.
I quite literally could not have done better myself, the puns in this description bring a tear (of laughter) to my eye. Working with Josh is an honor and were he an obstetrician he could not have delivered a better intro, and his enthusiasm is infectious (luckily not the kind you need a mask for!). He has encapsulated all of our ideas into the grid and we hope that we don't keep you in suspension as you look for a solution - Josh you are the balm.

DrTom
Last edited by DrTom on Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

I enjoyed this one very much. Great mental exercise in completing the grid. Nice meta.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Every time I do a Dr. Tom puzzle I wind up learning something my inner hypochondriac should not know. But the wordplay makes it worthwhile. I'm waiting for confirmation, somewhat problematic since I submitted my anwswer in an allusive (not, I hope, too elusive) form.
Jay
Hector

Post by Hector »

And from the bag did the feline make its exodus.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Bird Lives wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:25 am Every time I do a Dr. Tom puzzle I wind up learning something my inner hypochondriac should not know. But the wordplay makes it worthwhile. I'm waiting for confirmation, somewhat problematic since I submitted my anwswer in an allusive (not, I hope, too elusive) form.
Hypochondria, ah my favorite! Whenever it is mentioned I immediately hear the lilting notes of Somatoform Enchanted Evening....

It's even better if it's played by the Baron von Munchausen Orchestra!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
boharr

Post by boharr »

Answer submitted.

Edit: Confirmed.

Meaning the cat is roaming free.
Last edited by boharr on Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meg

Post by Meg »

I enjoyed this one in an odd sort of way. Thanks Josh and Tom. The cat has departed his Louis Vuitton.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Meg wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:45 pm I enjoyed this one in an odd sort of way. Thanks Josh and Tom. The cat has departed his Louis Vuitton.
Thanks Meg!

So it was odd even though you liked it? Well I suppose it can be hit or miss when it is down in black and white, I expect to hear from folks near and far.

Question - if people lie upon a simple bed to get their hair colored, is that a dye cotamy? :D
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Fun stuff, Josh & Tom!

𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

DrTom wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:17 pm Question - if people lie upon a simple bed to get their hair colored, is that a dye cotamy? :D
My hare is turning gray...

𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

solved
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Joe Ross wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:18 pm
DrTom wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:17 pm Question - if people lie upon a simple bed to get their hair colored, is that a dye cotamy? :D
My hare is turning gray...

Well my hare is completely gone, I guess Song of the South would call me Bare Rabbit?
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

DrTom wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:40 pm Well my hare is completely gone, I guess Song of the South would call me Bare Rabbit?
Bruh!

𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Hey, is there a nudge day? Asking for a friend.
KayW

Post by KayW »

:handbag: :cat: Done. Very clever meta!!
MosesCat.PNG
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Dplass wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:33 pm Hey, is there a nudge day? Asking for a friend.
Sure, but probably not until Friday or Saturday. Feel free to PM me of you need a push!